The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Unexpected gym exodus

So, I head to my gym this evening for my ME squat work to find a note on the door stating that the facility is closed. I was fairly pent up and ready to go so needless to say I was unhappy. Come to find out that the gym is closed indefinitely due to a possible H1N1 outbreak. (Insert jokes about the hole of a gym that I work out in here) Which leads me to my question:

What do I do with my time off considering my goals are entirely geared toward max strength? Hill sprints or other GPP work? Bodyweight exercises? Something else?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wtf, h1 only counts if you catch it and old people and babies are usually the ones who die from it. its the damn flu, not mold that they have to scrape off a wall. i say you sue/get your money back/break in and work out. i hate people.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Super Ectomorph on Crack Justin Ryan's Avatar
    That definetly sounds like a cover up for something else.... Why would they close indefinetly? Maybe they're bankrupt.

Are there any other gyms you can check out to see about a membership??

Damn that sucks, I would be pissed off!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CKabriel View Post
    So, I head to my gym this evening for my ME squat work to find a note on the door stating that the facility is closed. I was fairly pent up and ready to go so needless to say I was unhappy. Come to find out that the gym is closed indefinitely due to a possible H1N1 outbreak. (Insert jokes about the hole of a gym that I work out in here) Which leads me to my question:

What do I do with my time off considering my goals are entirely geared toward max strength? Hill sprints or other GPP work? Bodyweight exercises? Something else?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

goto powerlifting watch and find a new gym bro

goodluck
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

At the corner of 1st & 1st getting there's Avatar
    That sounds really sketchy to me as well. If I were you I would dig around and see what you can find out.

I had a similar thing happen to me at my old gym. I was talking with a trainer who I had become friends with on a random Friday one day and he leans in and tells me I should probably clear out my locker because the gym would be closing its doors on Sunday for good. I was like WTF?? There were no indications the place was going to go under or anything. No signs posted or anything. On top of that he said I should really not tell anyone because of legal reasons or something along those lines. Fortunately I did not listen to him and told all my friends that night and the next morning to clear out their stuff because they would not be able to get it on Monday. Never did find out exactly what happened and its a shame because it was an awesome gym.

To the OP question, is there a local Y, or other place you can pay a daily fee to lift at until you can find out what is going on at your gym?
    Last edited by getting there; 08-13-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I figured this deserved an update since people were kind enough to respond. The closure has more to do with the population that is frequently on campus (it's a college gym) near the facility than anything else. It's on the grounds with a fairly large AIDS research facility. So, the closure likely has more to do with protecting people who are truly at risk than anything else. I can't be mad about that...just at a bit of a loss for what my next steps might be until things are sorted.

@Eric Downey: Thanks for the gym finding resource in powerliftingwatch. My wife and I are new to our area, and it was interestesting to see that there were a couple of private gyms near me.

@getting there: That's pretty shady on your former gym's part.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CKabriel View Post
    I figured this deserved an update since people were kind enough to respond. The closure has more to do with the population that is frequently on campus (it's a college gym) near the facility than anything else. It's on the grounds with a fairly large AIDS research facility. So, the closure likely has more to do with protecting people who are truly at risk than anything else. I can't be mad about that...just at a bit of a loss for what my next steps might be until things are sorted.

@Eric Downey: Thanks for the gym finding resource in powerliftingwatch. My wife and I are new to our area, and it was interestesting to see that there were a couple of private gyms near me.

@getting there: That's pretty shady on your former gym's part.
    goodluck bro. private is cool. our gym just got sold. new owners take over in a few weeks.
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE