Thread: Am I on the right path?

Am I on the right path?

Read a few things in a couple of threads the last couple of days and some Q & A stuff at Elite and came to some realizations I just want to check out with all of you...

1) I suck at squats because I'm weak and a pussy in the hole. I should squat more that I do, so my thought is should I adopt the following...

Currently I squat 3x5 and then do a 4th set for a set of 20. Because of my weakness here, should I start doing low box squats to re-enforce depth and confidence in the hole for 3x5, but still do a set of 20 free squat for a finisher?

2) Since I've gotten my belt, my squatting improved in one session, and now with 2 deadlift sessions behind me, my deadlift has gotten solid as compared to my old numbers... am I simply a good belt user? and do I need to work more on my core area - namely abs and low back? I've never used a belt in my life and in the past couple of weeks I'm really surprised with my experience.

Advice and comments welcomed folks!!!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Belts help. They especially help if your lower back is a weakness.

If you're weak in the hole then I think accessory work is most important.

low back and abs = ability to maintain arch which is key
    hamstrings and glutes = prime movers to get you going out of the hole
    hip abductors = keeping your knees out which helps you engage the glutes more

I think that's more important than your rep scheme, doing a drop set, etc.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Marcus, with that said, currently on my deadlift day I'm doing goodmornings and on squat day I'm doing GHR and the abductor adductor machine.

Is this the right accessory work to do? What should I add? I feel like I do plenty of ab work and it feels very much like low back is the problem.

45 Degree extensions - should I add them to both days?

And to help address my terrible squat, ignoring rep scheme, does my approach seem sound to get my form down, and improve these weaknesses at the same time?
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

There are many ways to do good mornings. I think if you take a narrow stance and go down just until your upper back starts to round, then that'll work the lower back the most. I think doing good mornings up to a heavy set of 5 is a great accessory.

You can do the GHR and hip work on squat and deadlift days. You don't need to kill yourself with the accessories. I'd do the back extensions on days you don't do good mornings. Keep the weight to where you can do 4 sets of 10-15 reps. The exception is hip abduction. When you squat you push out and hold that the entire lift. You should do hip abduction the same way. Push all the way out then hold it for 10 seconds. Also, raise your legs up so your hips are below parallel. Most machines have you above parallel.
    www.wildirongym.com

Thanks Marcus!

Give those a shot then, will do GHR's both days, do the GM's to 5x5 as accessory on deadlift day, and do the 45 degree back ext's on squat day... will also take you approach to the abduction

Much appreciated!

My Journal

Still not completely sure of this last question... now that I seem to have a better idea for accessory, should I switch back to a low box squat so that I can get better in the hole, but still do a final burn set to re-enforce actual squat form? or given the accessory, should I just keep free squatting?

My Journal

If your not comfortable in the hole can you sit on a below parallel box without plopping down onto it? if not take a high box and then slowly lower it each session. That should help untill you get comfortable. A set of free squats after box squats is a good idea.

I agree using a higher box and lowering it as form improves can be a good way to learn. We are having good success with that right now.
    www.wildirongym.com

Thanks guys!

Just did squat day and did a box to parallel which is low enough for now... kicked my butt, literally. also re-enforced my weak lower back.

Also did the abductor as prescribed Marcus... huge difference... dropped the used weight and feel good.

Thanks again for the help!

My Journal