Thread: DE assistance work -- how heavy?

DE assistance work -- how heavy?

Should I use less assistance work after DE benching than I do after ME bench? I mean, it's 72 hours before ME bench, so it has occurred to me that doing too much assistance or going to heavy on assistance work could negatively effect my max effort work. Now and then I hear lifters say to go light on assistance work on DE day, or "cut down your rest time and go light" or something like that but nothing concrete really, and from reading the logs of some of the guys here I don't really see any of them toning it down a whole lot... Anyways, so for all the benchers out there, how much volume/how heavy do you go with your assistance work on DE day?
    Last edited by OGROK; 08-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Most of my assistance is heavier on DE days. After ME, I just make sure to get some work in.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I'd have to agree with Vin. I do more assistance work on DE day. ME tends to take more out of me, and take more time (especially with shirt work) so I do less assistance volume on those days. I remember reading that this is what louie simmons recommends as well. Essentially DE day is for more volume with lighter intensity, while ME day is focused on heavy attempts followed by some assistance, but not to the extent of DE day.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    I'd have to agree with Vin. I do more assistance work on DE day. ME tends to take more out of me, and take more time (especially with shirt work) so I do less assistance volume on those days. I remember reading that this is what louie simmons recommends as well. Essentially DE day is for more volume with lighter intensity, while ME day is focused on heavy attempts followed by some assistance, but not to the extent of DE day.
    This is what I like doing
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

That proves it--I'm a genius. I'm running for Emperor.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

OGROK,

I think it depends on your recovery abilities... Try both and see how it goes.

Like you said, I felt hvy. tri-work on DE day, hurt my ME day, so now I do Lt. tri-work(ie push-downs, DB roll-backs, etc.)on DE day

If you go heavy on tri- work on DE day make sure you have 3-4 days before ME bench day. My 2-cents...

RC

Lou actually advocates keeping it light on DE day, but the volume a little more (compared to ME day)

Conversely on ME day, things need to be heavy and you have to make sure you get enough volume in, but not too much. Most people I see don't get quite enough in.

But the point is your assistance work on ME day should be heavy and light on DE day - if you're going by what Lou recommends.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    That proves it--I'm a genius. I'm running for Emperor.
    Emperial Dizenzo. Bench master of the universe.

Kinda got a ring to it no?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

How about heavy delts on on DE day and Light triceps, then Heavy triceps light delts on ME? Or just keep it all heavy on ME and all light DE?

I'm no expert like some of these guys here but I have made fast progress by keeping the speed/assistance day lighter.
    When I try to go too heavy on speed/assistance day I usually go backwards on max day.
    I want to be able to do more lock-out work on the second day but just don't seem to recover in time.
    One thing I like doing to help my lock-out (which I need) is doing speed bench with plenty of band tension with foam on my chest-like 2 x doubled minis, I use a lower bar weight like 110lbs you can still have good speed but the lock-out will be pretty hard.
    I know most don't recommend too much band tension but I do it off foam and it works really well for me with light bar weight.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    How about heavy delts on on DE day and Light triceps, then Heavy triceps light delts on ME? Or just keep it all heavy on ME and all light DE?
    Light on DE day means light delts (if you do them)

Training light is useless unless you are doing a deload work out. Heavy weights build strength!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Training light is useless unless you are doing a deload work out. Heavy weights build strength!
    Rob, I know you do lockout work raw on your assistance day what do you do after your shirt bench on heavy day?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    That's why we go heavy on ME day

LOL you're results certainly speak for themselves though.