Thread: Does anyone do legs more than once a week?

Wannabebig Member

Does anyone do legs more than once a week?

Just wondering and if so, do you do different exercises? Do you include squats both days? Is it foolish to do legs twice a week?
    5'8" 165 lbs Lifting since Jan '09

A lot of the beginners are doing the Starting Strength routine and they squat three times a week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Squats, cleans, and deadlifts three times a week on SS. I would definitely consider it a lot of legwork.
    Last edited by d0rkyd00d; 08-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Banned
    How can you do *ANYTHING* once a week and make gains? IMO, the only time you need to start doing something once per week is after you surpass intermediate level....All of the beginner/intermediate programs have you doing bench/squats/rowing/etc twice per week. Generally a volume day mixed with an intensity day.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    How can you do *ANYTHING* once a week and make gains? IMO, the only time you need to start doing something once per week is after you surpass intermediate level....All of the beginner/intermediate programs have you doing bench/squats/rowing/etc twice per week. Generally a volume day mixed with an intensity day.
    Depends on the person. All I do and all I've ever done is squat once a week.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    in my workout plan i work legs, 4 times per week, with two exercises each day, as well as i work my upperbody as well 4 times per week, i do totaly body work.

Frequency is key to adding more development
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

LuNa
    Squatting three times a week. It is a bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    You can EASILY make gains only doing one compound movement per week, it just depends on what level you are at

I squat twice a week, but I do something leg related everyday.

When I started as a noob, I squat and deadlifted once a week. I consider them both to be lower/leg workouts. I progressed fast and still follow the same method today. So to answer your question, no its not foolish to have 2 leg workouts within the week.

Wannabebig Member
    It is not so much about how many times you workout, it's about getting enough work in on a week to week basis. Say, for example, lifter A did a 1x1 program twice a week. That's 2 reps. Lifter B does a 5x10 program once every week. It's pretty obvious who will make most progress.

Some trainees look at lifting over the course of a month. Take the smolov lifting cycle. 4x per week. You'll most likely be lifting tens of tonnes every week. But the key point is you have to stop after 3 weeks, and back off, because the volume is about as concentrated as it gets. If you're attempting to stave off fatigue, this program probably isn't the best option

Personally I think it's good to get about 30 lifts @ 70%; 20 lifts @ 80% and 10 lifts @90+% every week. Rotating lifts works well when you perform similar movements. So you could go front squat>olympic squat>rippletoe squat>deadlift.

I do squats heavy one day, and light squats on another day after deads. My legs take alot to develop, so I need to squat often to have them grow.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Probably about 2 1/2. I'm doing wendler's 5/3/1 with a bench, squat, deadlift, and OH press day. The squat and deadlift days are all lower body exercises. The OH press day, I do power cleans and BO rows (which I feel as if legs are involved a little bit). Bench day is all upper body stuff.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I do squats heavy one day, and light squats on another day after deads. My legs take alot to develop, so I need to squat often to have them grow.
    We do something similar, but for this training cycle we pretty much performed some style of squat once a week.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

If I don't do some sort of squatting movement at least twice a week my squat takes a serious nose dive.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I squat on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (medium, light, heavy) on top of full cleans and full snatch 3x a week. I also will do a set of 20 reppers about 2x a month. So, I squat alot. I havent noticed any problems but I do spend more time stretching, foam rolling, and doing things for joint health than I do lifting.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Dedicated Leg day once/ week
    deadlifts the day after
    snacth another day
    power cleans another day
    legs are worked with weights 4x per week, and I ride my bike to the gym

Front squats, back squats and deadlifts on Wednesdays, lunges and hamstring curls on Saturdays. Any more than that for me and I'm afraid recovery might suffer.

Warming up

On your warmups do you foam roll everything, IT's,Glutes, Ham's, etc... . Do you do some cardio first, 5 Min. Ell., for example, before. Also what kind of dynamic warmup right before weight warm up? I'm an older guy with I guess you'd call baggage. Look'in to stay in the gym and away from the ice packs as much as possible. I squat first, 3x a week. "SS". I spend approx. 15 min. total, just, ell.,& dynamic stretching before the first weight warmups. I never see anybody in the gym warming up as much as I do and I'm starting to think that this is not even enough. Just want to see what some of you do to lube up the joint's and get the body prepped for workout sets. I do 5-min. ell. then several but not all of the dynamic stretching shown on the Squat-RX Vids.
    Probably should be a new thread. Did'nt mean to jump. I think that's what that means. Don't have my forum savy down yet!
    Last edited by cavman; 08-20-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Rob View Post
    Just wondering and if so, do you do different exercises? Do you include squats both days? Is it foolish to do legs twice a week?
    What are your goals? What level lifter do you consider yourself? I struggle with your question also. I train upper twice and lower only once. However a lot of gpp stuff I do requires a lot of leg/core work. Dragging sled, verticals, walking with a weight vest, farmers, tire flips, etc.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

What he said, I just squat heavy both days.

Edit: I also do front squats twice a week too.
    Last edited by Biohazard101; 08-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.

I squat 3 times a week now too. mmmmm squats.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Depends on the routine. Many on here, especially those starting out, squat 2-3 x's per week.

Wannabebig Member Vince DelMonte's Avatar
    I think this is a good set-up. It's important to not overtrain legs because they are so intense. From everything I've seen and read though, most people will do better with a higher frequency than once a week.

I'd pinpoint once every five days as the minimum frequency, but you have to take individual characteristics in this. Those who recover well may be able to handle up to three times a week. Twice is a good happy medium.

For maintenance though, once a week would be fine.
    -Vince DelMonte