Thread: "Natural" vs Free Weight?

"Natural" vs Free Weight?

Just wondering the general consensus on this. I've been getting somewhat bored at the gym [it's starting to get run down due to the owners], and I'm wondering how much worse or better "natural" weights are; things like flipping tires, moving heavy bags, etc.

I've got a few 18-wheeler tires in my backyard, so it wouldn't be too terribly expensive.

It's dependent on one's future goals. Flipping tires, throwing around sandbags/stones, pulling cars, etc is different form of training opposed to weight lifting. What are your goals as far as physical training goes?

I'm not looking to get huge and bust through shirts. I'm just wanting to look good naked, as you could say. Just something to keep me in shape and keep me strong, as opposed to sitting around and becoming a tub of lard.

If your hating your gym, I would look for a new place to train. Research more into the "strongman" sport. I don't know much about it but if I can recall, there are few members here that train that particular field so I'll wait for them to chime in on it.

That kind of training is great for building functional strength and conditioning. Dn't forget to be progressive by adding weight or reps. However, I don't think they take the place of a barbell, but they add a lot to a balanced program.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Maybe you want to check out..................crossfit.

Jtt, it's not so easy.

Where I live, I can either pay $140 per year for a gym that is progressively worse, or $400 per year for a gym that allows no weight banging, grunting, chalk, etc.

Another of the main reasons that I don't really look forward to training in my gym is because there are no spotters or lifting partners to speak of. So I'd rather be able to train on "natural" weights than to train unsafely on free weights.

Anything preventing you from getting a bench, power rack, barbell and weights for your home?
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    Anything preventing you from getting a bench, power rack, barbell and weights for your home?
    Money. The source of most problems. =|

It doesnt get much more natural than squatting. Id keep that in your routine for sure.
    Sarvamangalam!

a lot of people train without spotters succesfully so i don't really think its unsafe, use the rack for bench and squat. Or why not persuade a friend to join the gym, that will ease boredom. what type of routine do you do at the moment?

I go to a gym where there's no banging of weight, chalk, etc. I workout first thing in the am (by myself) and know nearly everyone there. Anyone would spot me, if I needed it. Also, I use chalk very lightly and wipe the bars down when done. You can get away alot of stuff if you're careful.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That kind of training is great for building functional strength and conditioning. Dn't forget to be progressive by adding weight or reps. However, I don't think they take the place of a barbell, but they add a lot to a balanced program.
    They might actually be better than barbells. Esp. barrel lifting. Fill it with water and you will have real hard time overhead pressing it with water flowing around. While barbells are best things in the gym, sandbags/barrels could be better for building functional strength since they include stabilizer muscles more than barbells.

Anyone who wants to train with "natural"weights should give "Dinosaur Training" book by Brook Kubik a read! Good source of a bit unconventional training advice. After reading it I really want to try this kind of training in the future!

Still, I agree that you shouldN'T stop doing barbell training.
    Last edited by Gymjunkie; 08-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125238

But, even Brooks says that odd objects should not replace the barbell.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

But, even Brooks says that odd objects should not replace the barbell.
    Yes and I mention it too (ups, spelling mistake there..). One shouldn't replace barbell training with odd objects.
    Last edited by Gymjunkie; 08-26-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:

Quote Originally Posted by Gymjunkie View Post
    Yes and I mention it too.
    It's unanimous
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by XMadmanX View Post
    a lot of people train without spotters succesfully so i don't really think its unsafe, use the rack for bench and squat. Or why not persuade a friend to join the gym, that will ease boredom. what type of routine do you do at the moment?
    None of my friends have the time or money to join. It's also a matter of form; i.e. just the other day, I had a person in the gym go by me and critique my deadlifts; he didn't help me on my form, he just said "Your form sucks, you're going to hurt yourself." and walked away. I have no way to help my form if I can't pick it up from videos and no one helps with it.

Plus, with the time I go, the gym is usually empty.

I'm not trying to excuse my way out of it, it's just that there are a lot of unavoidable problems due to lack of help; I've watched countless videos and read about forms, but apparently I can't get them down.

If you can't get your form correct with a barbell...what makes you think you can get your form correct with odd objects. Odd objects will hurt you just as fast and can be much harder to keep good form. If you are having problems with your form, definately stick to barbells. Seriously!!!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

If you can't get your form correct with a barbell...what makes you think you can get your form correct with odd objects. Odd objects will hurt you just as fast and can be much harder to keep good form. If you are having problems with your form, definately stick to barbells. Seriously!!!
    I've got a problem with my hips, so when I deadlift I use more lower back instead of putting my hips in it. I don't have the problem when I squat, though. So I don't want to aggravate it and have to pay a doctor bill or whathaveyou.

Quote Originally Posted by spectralshadow View Post
    I've got a problem with my hips, so when I deadlift I use more lower back instead of putting my hips in it.
    And how do you think your hip/low back is going to do when you are lifting heavy sandbags and tires? Same or worse than barbell deadlifts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Get good at:

squat
    deadlift
    good mornings
    rows
    bench
    military press

If you are strong at these you are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Maybe you want to check out..................crossfit.
    This is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by spectralshadow View Post
    I'm not looking to get huge and bust through shirts. I'm just wanting to look good naked, as you could say.

I'm not tryin to best your ballz here, but seriously -- can we PLEASE stop using that term?! Do you people have any idea how creepy it is? I do not want to picture you naked. I don't care what you look like. You're a dude. I do not need to come to this forum and read something that invokes naked dude images--I'm sure some readers here do, and thats fine, but I'm not one of them.

Why do you even need the word naked in that sentence anyways?? How is it any better than just "I need to look good," or "I want a better physique?" Is my response going to be that dramatically different without the naked part??

--Oh you just want to look good! Well, I can't help you there bud. Maybe check out a stylist or pick out some new cloths. Now, if you wanted to look good naked, now THAT I can help you with...

"I would like a six pack" would be fine. "My goal is a better physique" is better. Even "I want ripped abs, big biceps, and toned glutes" would be preferable. See why? No naked dude images go along with that sentence, just anatomy, which is far better than picturing anyone (especially a dude) naked.

So yeah. stop being so creepy newbie WBB members.

And on that note, I'm gonna go get naked and go to bed.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    I'm not tryin to best your ballz here, but seriously -- can we PLEASE stop using that term?! Do you people have any idea how creepy it is? I do not want to picture you naked. I don't care what you look like. You're a dude. I do not need to come to this forum and read something that invokes naked dude images--I'm sure some readers here do, and thats fine, but I'm not one of them.
    Would you be saying this if Built was saying it? LOL
    Last edited by Coqui; 08-27-2009 at 07:40 AM.

SpectralShadow, get Starting Strength videos, you can find them on the net. Best videos on how to do exercises. Will help you with your form!
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal: