The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shaving... going old school.

For the longest time, I was like msot young guys and used my good ol mach 3 with foam. My dad uses those dispensible two blade plastic razors and I have occasionaly used them as well. However the other day, I was getting a haircut and figured what the heck? I paid the barber for an old school shave.

Needless to say I absolutely loved it. Now getting a single razor (think ear cutting scene in resevoir dogs) is a bit tricky as I am not yet and adult, so dad is gonna grab one for me, but I did get a single edged double sided single blade razor.

Weirdly, it was the most enjoyable shave of my life. I had to be careful, as well as use a thick lather rather than foam but I thoroughly enjoyed the extra time it took to carefully shave. I am looking forward to trying a real razor, but I think I may get some lessons before I slash my neck open.

People think modern razors and electric shavers are an advancement, I disagee, I have never had a closer cleaner shave than I do right now.

So how do you shave? Razor, plastic, electirc?
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-25-2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131724

My current regime is in that thread. It's only been two weeks..I've not yet looked into getting a double-edged but will soon.

When you say single razor, I'm guessing you're talking about a double-edge, and not a straight razor? I would _love_ to buy a straight razor but I fear I'd cut the crap out of my neck.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Gillette Super Fusion. It has 16 blades. some sing to the hairs, some cut and others scare the follicles out of their holes.

Seriously though I use a fusion and have always wanted to try a razor but figured i'd kill myself. I may just try it.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I use Proraso shaving cream and a badger-hair brush, but I still use a Gillette Fusion. Old school mixed with some new.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Gillette Super Fusion. It has 16 blades. some sing to the hairs, some cut and others scare the follicles out of their holes.

Seriously though I use a fusion and have always wanted to try a razor but figured i'd kill myself. I may just try it.
    LOL. Dude, I loved that SNL skit.

Wannabebig New Member
    I use a 1958 Gillette Superspeed with Red Personna blades. I can pick up 100 pk of the blades (~2 years worth) for under $14, and no more ingrown hairs on my neck.

DE (safety) razors can take a little longer to shave, but are well worth it. Better shave, cheaper, a little more eco-friendly, and a bit of a zen-like experience while I'm shaving.

I just got a safety razor for christmas. Fastest and closest shave i've ever had. I originally used mach 3 but its a piece of ****. never liked it always pulled the hair out of my face even with new blades. This old timey safety razor didn't pull a single hair out, and got most of my face cleared in one pass. I did have a few time where I thought I slit my throat. I also got a 100 pk of blades too. I suspect they'll last me the better part of a decade considering I have less facial hair than most women.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I have a Fusion and usually only shave every other day because otherwise I get bumps. I can't imagine doing it with anold school razor, mostly because I just wouldn't have the patience for it. I don't really enjoy shaving enough to want to do it that way.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm a big fan of the straight razor myself, i.e. the "cut throat" razors. There is no electric that can come close to shaving as well as a good WELL SHARPENED straight razor. I used to use a mach 5 and all those multi bladed razors and I still got irritation and in grown hairs(i have crazy hard beard hair). Ever since I started using a straight I get zero irritation and no razor bumps.

current setup:
    Dovo Bismark straight razor/Vintage Boker(backup)
    Penhaligons BB shaving soap
    Simpsom super badger brush.
    J Becker Scuttle

Fuzzy, if your planning on purchasing a setup www.straightrazordesigns.com has some ridiculous deals/setups and if you buy a straight razor from them right now up to 12/31 you get free honing for life on that razor(this in itself is worth buying from them, they have a great honemeister). Don't forget to add a styptic pencil to your order if your first starting out using a straight, it will save your life .

If you have general questions on straight/single/double bladed shaving I would suggest www.badgerandblade.com. Great resource for how to's, reviews on products, etc. Big community board there.
    Last edited by lilotaku; 12-26-2009 at 09:12 AM.

electric razor every day.....

i tried a straight razor once and cut my cheek badly on the first try. never again.

Go down to NYC and have one of the old school places do it, it is awesome. Definetly the closest shave possible. The after shave/oil they use afterwards is awesome also - you feel like a new person.

i always buy those packs where you get like 20 disposable razors for a dollar lol.. they SUCK but my CHEAPNESS over rules that by a long shot.
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Badger hair? like, for real?
    Dude that's awesome.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I started a beard thread and i'm still growing mine. two inches off the face and stil making progress.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

I have a badger hair brush I use. I need to reload on creme, pre oil lotion, and after shave stuff. I use stuff from the art of shaving. Doesn't take all that much longer, but close and much less painful on my skin.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Badger hair? like, for real?
    Dude that's awesome.
    lol, Badgers need to be useful for something, so why not shaving brushes. Whoever thought to use badger hair for shaving brushes deserves a Nobel prize.
    Last edited by lilotaku; 12-26-2009 at 03:25 PM.

I always use the old school shaving soap and brush. I like it a hell of a lot more. I might get the oldschool blade as well.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by lilotaku View Post
    lol, Badgers need to be useful for something, so why not shaving brushes. Whoever thought to use badger hair for shaving brushes deserves a Nobel prize.
    What about horse hooves for glue? :P
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    What about horse hooves for glue? :P
    Don't they also use hooves to make Jello/Gelatin? No wonder those pre-school kids eat the glue.
    Last edited by lilotaku; 12-26-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Real men use pliers to yank out the whiskers or gas and a lite to singe the whiskers off. I use a Mach 3.
    I'd rather grow a Grizzly Adam's style beard, but the wife won't let me and my kid threatened to disown me if I do.
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

Imma buy this one.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Fuzzy,

Thats a great razor to start out with. I believe they make the "specials" in 5/8 and 6/8 which gives you even more options. I like the heavier feel of 6/8'ths, but if you like a light touch, 5/8'ths is the way to go. Get yourself a good strop, badger brush, and some quality shaving soap/creme and you'll be good to go. If you need some visual help, I recommend looking up a guy named "Jockeys41" and "mantic59" on youtube. They give good video's on shaving technique/face prep/lather prep..etc. Take it nice and slow in the beginning and have fun . Also make sure that whoever your buying it from offers honing services. Most good vendors will inspect and sharpen the razor to optimum operating condition before sending it to you.
    Last edited by lilotaku; 12-26-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Real men use pliers to yank out the whiskers or gas and a lite to singe the whiskers off. I use a Mach 3.
    I'd rather grow a Grizzly Adam's style beard, but the wife won't let me and my kid threatened to disown me if I do.
    Ha! What about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 12-26-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Ha! What about this?
    Napalm and a flamethrower should do the trick for that sasquatch.