Thread: Does anyone here travel for work? How does it affect your workouts and diet?

WBB Member

Does anyone here travel for work? How does it affect your workouts and diet?

I thought I'd start a thread to see if there are any WBB'ers who travel for work but also manage to stick to their training and diet. How difficult is it for you to keep up your routine when you are traveling for work?

I have never had a job that involves travel, but now I am looking at a job that would require 2 annual trips to sea, each 3 weeks in length. It would also require sporadic travel throughout the year to other land sites, but those trips would only be for 2-3 days at a time. I don't have all the details yet, but I would assume most boats don't come equipped with a gym. The trips to other land sites would be a pain, but I could probably find a gym in whatever city I found myself in. I know hotels have gyms, but I've never seen one that is equipped for squats, deadlifts, etc.

Having said that, would it be possible to prevent muscle loss over a 3 week period, assuming I ate at maintenance and got enough grams of protein? Would doing pushups, situps, and other bodyweight exercises help at all? I would lose strength, but that could be regained fairly easily once I returned from the trips. I'm primarily concerned about the possibility of muscle loss. I normally take 2-3 one-week breaks from working out each year anyway, but 3 weeks at a time seems like too much time off for me.

Another issue common to both the sea and land trips would be the food quality. I doubt I would be able to cook my own meals, which means the quality of my meals would suffer.

On one hand, the thought of a job that doesn't involve being in a cube all day sounds exciting, but on the other hand an office job does allow me to stick to my diet and workout routine without much difficulty. My workouts and diet are important enough to me that I'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing them for a job. It's for this reason that I thought I'd ask around on here to see if there's anyone else who has a similar (or worse) travel schedule for work, yet also manages to make progress with their workouts and diet.

I just took a few weeks off to recover and heal an injury but I kept my food intake really high. I havent lost much muscle mass yet. And it will all come right back once you start training regularly again. so yes, you'll probably be ok
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I travel Mon-Thur every week for work 45+ weeks out of the year. Most of the time I travel to the same place every week for long periods of time so I just join a gym in the area. Like right now I'm travelling to Arkansas every week for a while so I'll be hitting up some of the local gyms to find one that is deadlift friendly and then joining that.

I always get a per diem when I travel (you probably will too) so for short projects or one-off travel locations I just pay the day fee each day and still have plenty of money from the per diem to get food.

On the diet front I really struggled for a long time. But now I always make sure I get a hotel room that is a suite with a fridge and a kitchen so I can then go to the grocery store and load up on meat and veggies. I can then store them in the fridge and cook each night. If I can't find a place with a fridge or am in a city which means sometimes I don't have a rental car and can't get to the store then I at least find a hotel with a fridge and then order a bunch of food from a restaurant and/or go to a mart and pick up some pre-cooked meat and store them in the fridge. That way if I do that the first night I won't go out and eat crap because I will want to eat the food in the fridge and not waste the money. Usually if the room has a fridge it will have a microwave.

Hotel gyms typically suck except for some in the big cities have some decent weights (though probably not enough for you). It is worth taking the time up front to find a hotel near a gym by doing some research on google maps.

I've also gone to a 3 day a week routine and have put together a gym in my garage. I do ME on Fridays and when I travel do DE on Sundays. That way I can get two of my workouts done at home and only have to worry about my DL/Back day when on the road. I chose to do DL/back day while on the road because I don't need a spotter for those lifts.

You can do it. It just takes some up front planning before you go.

Well, after typing all the above I read your post again and realized you are actually talking about being on a boat in the sea. I sort of quickly skimmed the first time and thought you were abbreviating Seattle. Ha! Can't help you on the boat thing much except to see if they will let you bring a sandbag. But at least the above still applies for the land based trips.

I travel Mon-Thur every week for work 45+ weeks out of the year. Most of the time I travel to the same place every week for long periods of time so I just join a gym in the area. Like right now I'm travelling to Arkansas every week for a while so I'll be hitting up some of the local gyms to find one that is deadlift friendly and then joining that.
    Ditto, or I just get a day pass at some other gyms for the weeks I am at trade shows, Vegas, Tenn, and others. Only in those towns a few times a year so a membership would not make sense. I usually end up in the Chicago are pretty regular and have found some Conjigate systerm lifting freindly gyms around... Just gotta look, as for the food I do not fly nearly as much as i used to so it is easier.