Thread: Legs shake during heavy deads?

Legs shake during heavy deads?

I dont know why but my legs or knees will shake some on heavy deads. How do I fix this?
    Doesnt happen at all on squats. I can squat 500x 6-8 reps (parrallel or lower)and they dont shake at all.
    But I pulled 565 they other day and get leg shake. WTF? I pulled it fairly easy although it was heavy, no hitching or anything. I can pull 500 for 6 reps and will get some but not as bad as the 565 pull. All of the pulls are raw with belt only. I do not really have bad knees. I think I have a 635 pull in me maybe more but want to try and get rid of this problem 1st.

Its only in the top half of the lift too. Getting it off the floor it doent happen.
    I have only been back in the gym heavy for about 1.5 year after a 6 year layoff. Currently 5'10 255lbs.
    I have it on video on my phone, just need to figure out how to get in on the computer.

Thanks
    Last edited by PWR; 08-21-2009 at 12:05 PM.

shaking as in muscle spasms ? i think its normal i get them all the time when i do squats after the burn kicks in and i stop i get the shakes

i dont think its anything to worry about , but i can see how it can get annoying, maybe try working on your form or technique or loosen up a bit by joggin a bit just a suggestion
    Last edited by juan23; 08-21-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan23 View Post
    shaking as in muscle spasms ? i think its normal i get them all the time when i do squats after the burn kicks in and i stop i get the shakes

i dont think its anything to worry about , but i can see how it can get annoying, maybe try working on your form or technique or loosen up a bit by joggin a bit just a suggestion
    I dont think its muscle spasms, and I am not too fatigued when it happens. It only happens during the lift as well.

I ride a stationary for 3 minutes, and do 10 minutes of stretching before I do any deads or squats. Hopefully I can post a video to show form but I thinks it fairly good. I wondered if it could be a core problem or I need to work on certain points of the lift in general.
    Thanks

It isn't from muscle spasms,but simply due to the fact that it is a max-effort attempt at that weight for you.You can prep your CNS to get used to the weight by doing very heavy rack pulls which will help,but you'll see this all the time at meets with lifters deadlifting max attempts.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

Overload the CNS by using bands and chains, etc

Do assistance work and hit the stabilizers
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

my last heavy rack pull gave me the shakes, but I haven't focussed enough on deads anyways.