Thread: First lifting accident today

Airsofter & Paintballer

First lifting accident today

[rant]Was doing squats and I went up 5lb from the last time (doing SS) and I thought something seemed kind of off. I had just been thinking about when I would finally have an accident too. Seemed like my entire warmup was just made to build up to it. Did my stretches, swept a little, did my first two warmup sets, and went on to my squats. Got down near the bottom and went a little bit farther than normal (usually just an inch or two under parallel), and noticed my muscles were in a wierd position (not use to pushing from that far down). Tried standing up several times and that was a no-go. I think I had a butt wink (that one thing were your lower back/butt curves inwards at the bottom of a squat). I could see myself in the mirror and my face looked like a giant tomato. Eventually said hell with it and slowly loosened my grip. Bar rolled down the top of my back pretty slow so I tried to move forward a little bit to try to avoid it if the bar would happen to hit my lower back. Bar dropped maybe 2-3 feet, and let me tell you, I did not think ANYTHING dropped from that low could make that much noise. I lift in my basement, and my mom, dad, and a sister were home. Dad came rushing down there to check on me. Me, the weights, and the floor all survived it with nothing major(floor is concrete). Weights and floor had a couple scratches but no chips or anything.

In case you're wondering, I don't have a squat rack. I have to lift from my bench. Just not enough money to afford a rack, although I'd been thinking about making a homemade one. I was only squatting 155 too. I turned 15 a month ago and I'm 5'9-10" @ 149lbI'm not too familiar with others stats similar to me. I have a friend that weighs about 6'1" or so @ 160-165lb. His max squat is 150lb, bench 110lb, and powerclean 145lb. Not sure about his others (I overheard him talking to some others about maxes).

If I had to guess though (and I really am not one that prefers blame over shame) I'd have to say the running we did in P.E. today messed my legs up. I noticed here lately my knees have been popping a lot. And they seemed kind of stiff during stretches. I decided to just skip today altogether to be safe. I'll start again Monday with my dad spotting.

Something else I didn't know was how much my dad use to lift (talked to him sometime last week about it). He quit after he had kids though. I thought maybe he was one of those people who did tons of iso without much education. He did do a lot of isolation stuff in his last few routines, but he was pretty good. He's about 6' and he said he weighed around 200lb at that time. Apparently he was doing 315 for squats and 280 or so for bench, and that's all he could remember. I'd say that's really impressive for only ~200lb.

Oh well. It's all done and over with. Had to happen eventually. But you know what? I made the best time in jogging for P.E., did the most pushups and situps in 30 seconds each, and kicked ass at the game we played today (some form of soccer). I'm happy. [/rant]
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    What's a cut?

Banned
    Get a rack or some spotting stands. Steel sawhorses work well. Where is AC KS?

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Get a rack or some spotting stands. Steel sawhorses work well. Where is AC KS?
    Arkansas City, Kansas. South central KS, a little bit east. Fairly small town compared to some. Last time I heard the population was at about 14,000. Actually my house is only about a 5 minute drive from the OK border.

I've got some sawhorses but they're a little bit tall for me to be able to go all the way down. Good idea though, I'll see if I can find any about the right height. Be handy to get one for bench too.
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    What's a cut?