The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Tom's take on the Texas Method?

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]

Squat 5X5 (80% of 1RM)
    Press 1X5 (5RM, these were done put on Monday so that it wouldn't interfere with Weighted Ring Dips on Friday)
    Weighted Dips 3x5 (80% of 1RM)
    Power Clean 3X3 (90% of 1RM, this is done as currently form is more of a limiting factor then absolute strength, thus I feel I can use a higher weight and not necessarily tax myself that much. E.g. My 1RM is 85kg and I can punch out sets of 8-9 @ 70kg fairly comfortably...)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]

Front Squat 3X3 (70% of 1RM)
    Romanian Deadlifts 3x8 Not too sure about percentage on these yet as I'm not experienced with the lift nor have I ever tried to max
    Chin ups 3x10
    Pushups 3x20

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]

Squat 1X5 (I'm assuming 1x5 denotes an attempt for a new 5RM?)
    Weighted Ring Dips 1x5
    Deadlift 1X5
    Press 3x5(80% of 1RM)

Glady accepting any criticisms or suggestions, this is my first shot at trying to program like this really so I'm all ears.
    Last edited by tomv; 09-06-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can't deny that the guys from Texas are big squatters. Mike McDaniels, Larry Mistric are squatting 900+ to as much as 1015 in training at 50+ years old. And hitting 900+ in meets. Mike Griffin I think has squatted 1100+ and Master 2 Henry Fletcher is I believe over 900 at 220! There are several others but these are off the top of my head. I played around with a modified version of what I understood at the time that they were doing last year during the off season, and going into the peak phase after that I was squatting stronger than I ever had. I'd say it has enough proof that it works to justify giving it a real good run! Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I have seen Mike McDaniel's squat progression on paper. It doesn't look anything like that posted here. What's posted here doesn't even look like a PL routine....something hybrid?
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Wannabebig New Member
    The Texas Method is designed by Mark Rippetoe, and outlined in Practical Programming.

Basically, you have:
    M: Volume
    W: Recovery
    F: Intensity

Here is a basic template

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
    Squat 5X5
    Bench Press 5X5
    Power Clean 5X3 (or Bentover BB Row 3x8)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
    Front Squat 3X3
    Press 3X3
    Back Extension/GHR 5x10
    Chin ups 3x12

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]
    Squat 1X5
    Bench Press 1X5
    or 5X3
    or 5X2
    or 5X1
    Deadlift 1X5

tom, by press do you mean bench? Are the ring dips one of your main exercises? If not, i think they would be better suited to monday, and go for a pr on presses on friday

One other thing i would say is that mondays 5x5 should start at 80% of your 5rm, not 1rm, and increase by 5lbs per week

Also, fridays squats, you should aim for a 1-5rm, or even just a set of 1-5 near your max

Quote Originally Posted by dammstrate View Post
    I have seen Mike McDaniel's squat progression on paper. It doesn't look anything like that posted here. What's posted here doesn't even look like a PL routine....something hybrid?
    I agree, there are better routines if Powerlifting is what you want to do.
    Seems like you may have changed it alot-hope it works though!
    I think you would do really well off WS4SB and think it would suit what you are really aiming at which is all around strength not so much Squat-Bench-Deadlift.
    Good luck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post
    The Texas Method is designed by Mark Rippetoe
    Wrong. He didn't "design" working out with 5x5s using heavy, light and medium days. He'd admit as much, and probably does in his book.

Your template looks fine. There's nothing wrong with it, although some people would/could tweak things, it'd be six of one, half dozen of another. The ring dips are kinda atypical though.

And like everyone's said, it's not a pure powerlifting routine but it is a good base template to build some good strength and size. Later, you can transition into a more dedicated powerlifting routine.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    Wrong. He didn't "design" working out with 5x5s using heavy, light and medium days. He'd admit as much, and probably does in his book.
    no he didnt design weekly periodization, but he did design the Texas Method, which is a specific programme.

Here is a quote from him speaking about the program

"Once again it is not surprising that you have misinterpreted what I said. Let me be clear: I am a Texan. I was born in Texas. My father was born in Texas. My grandfather moved to Texas when he was 10. My gym is in Texas. My house is in Texas. My dog is from Texas. I bought my motorcycle in Texas, even though it made in Marysville, IN. So, the correct conclusion would be that since I am a Texan, my program only works for Texans. I hope this helps"