Thread: Am I supposed to be able to do more weight when doing cleans from plates?

Am I supposed to be able to do more weight when doing cleans from plates?

to elaborate, cleans while the bar is set at a fixed height just below the knees (on top of plates).

now, i only started doing cleans a few months ago because my college strength coach (t&f) told me to... so i'm a pretty big newb in that department. i just don't understand the point of doing them off of plates. i certainly can't use more weight that way (maybe even a little less), seems like it's just limiting the amount of momentum i'm allowed to use...

tips? thoughts? how much more weight can *you* clean off of plates as opposed to conventional off-the-ground cleans?

I think he's trying to shorten the range of motion. eventually, you'll be pulling with the 45lb plates and he's trying to simulate that while not using that type of weight.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    to elaborate, cleans while the bar is set at a fixed height just below the knees (on top of plates).

now, i only started doing cleans a few months ago because my college strength coach (t&f) told me to... so i'm a pretty big newb in that department. i just don't understand the point of doing them off of plates. i certainly can't use more weight that way (maybe even a little less), seems like it's just limiting the amount of momentum i'm allowed to use...

tips? thoughts? how much more weight can *you* clean off of plates as opposed to conventional off-the-ground cleans?
    This seems to be similar to a hang clean, however it is suppurted by the plates. Am i right? I think the limiting factor in how much weight you can use is the explosive movement where after the bar is racked. However, doing it from plates instead of the floor might be a safer method because it is easier to keep a straight back.

I am sure other members can be of more help.

My coach had my doing this for explosiveness. If the weight could be muscled up, then you wouldn't have to lift it quickly. Using light weight from fairly high forced me to lift and get under the weight as fast as I could. I couldn't muscle it but just had to move fast.