The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Up your mASS

MACHINE
    I've been making some great gains on my diet and training schedule, so I'll keep track of my schedule on here for anyone who's interested.

Meal 1 - 7:00
    -6 eggs(4 white)
    -PBJ
    -8 oz OJ
    -2 tbsp flax

Meal 2 - 9:30
    -1 can Tuna on
    -2 slices wheat bread
    -1 pk oatmeal
    -10g whey

Meal 3 - 12:00
    -1 Lg. Chicken breast
    -2 pk oatmeal
    -Banana
    -10g whey

Meal 4 - 2:30
    -Roast beef on
    -Wheat bagel
    -10g Whey

Meal 5 - 4:30
    -1 can tuna on
    -2 slices wheat bread
    -1 pk oatmeal
    -10g Whey

Meal 6 - 7:00
    -8 oz steak
    -Whole grain rice(2 cups cooked)
    -1 cup grapes
    -10g Whey

Meal 7 - 9:00
    -8 oz Salmon
    -1 slice wheat bread

Meal 8 - 10:30
    -30g whey
    -2 tbsp flax

Daily:
    Calories - 4200
    Protein - 340g
    Carbs - 425g
    Fat - 100g

I just upped my protein intake a week ago from 275g to 340g by adding 10g of whey to several meals in my regular diet. I've put on 10 lbs of (what appears to be) good muscle mass in the last 8 weeks on this diet schedule. I plan on maintaining this diet for 4 more weeks, hopefully putting on 5-10 more lbs. Then, I'll gradually bring my calories down to about 3400 - 3500 and get ripped up again.

I train each body part once every 6-7 days. Here's my training schedule:

Day 1 - chest/abs
    Day 2 - Back/calves
    Day 3 - off or light cardio(fast walk 30 min)
    Day 4 - Shoulders/arms
    Day 5 - Legs
    Day 6 - off/stretch for 30 min
    Day 7 - off, light cardio, or start cycle again(chest)

Day 7 is a "bubble" day. I make my descision based on what my instincts are telling me. If I'm fired up, I'll go to the gym. If not, I'll rest up as much as possible. I train to ABSOLUTE failure whenever possible - it's not possible when squatting, deadlifting, etc. Total workload for each muscle trained are between 4 and 8 sets. Reps range from 6 to 15. Why so high? Well, since I train to absolute failure, if I have a weight I thought I could do 12 times, and after 12 reps I can squeeze out a couple more, you can bet your arse I'm gonna do 'em. Total time spent in the gym - 30 to 60 minutes each workout. My stats as of today are:

5'10"
    200 lbs
    8.5% bf
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MACHINE
    4/20 - yesterday

Meals all the same except:

Mo meal 8 - went to bed early after a brutal leg workout.

Leg workout:

-Squat
    3 warmup
    3 sets - as close to failure as possible(slow, controlled, deep reps)

-Leg Curls
    1 warmup
    2 sets beyond failure

-SLDL
    2 sets to near failure

-Leg ext.
    1 set beyond failure

Today - legs are tight and full. Easily fatigued walking up stairs. Not looking forward to later on today and tomorrow.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE
    Went to visit parents this weekend, so diet was comprimised. I ate a LOT, though and took weekend off from the gym. It's been a while since I took 2 days off in a row, but I needed it. My mother had her first bodybuilding comp yesterday and placed 4th overall. There was no masters class, so she was up against some young women. She should have took second according to everyone but the judges, but she's very happy anyways. She was soooo ripped - 5-6% bodyfat @ 95 lbs. Absolute freak of nature. The woman who won the contest looked like a "fitness" competitor instead of a bodybuilder, but oh well. Being back stage got me really fired up, so I'm going to do a competition sometime this summer. I could have done well at the show in my current condition - not 1st place, but pretty good.

I got home late last night, so I missed out on sleep. After I deadlift and finish my back workout tonight, I'm going straight to bed. Hopefully, I'll get 10-11 hrs of sleep. I NEED it badly. I'm supposed to hang out with a "lady friend" tonight, but I guess I'm gonna have to reschedule. I won't be the most pleasant person to be around tonight, and NOTHING is going to stop me from crashing at about 8:00. Well, I can think of a couple things that may make me stay up, but I'm not going to put myself in a position where it could possibly happen. I NEED SLEEP!

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Just go and shag her.

I swear, i won't hold it against you.....
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MACHINE
    Whew! I'm glad to hear that CD. I was soooo worried. lol

I'm a firm believer in doing something only if you can be the best you can be. Being so tired, my game might be a little off tonight, so I'll just rest up and prepare for the rescheduled appointment. She's the one who asked me to do something, so I'm sure she won't mind if I reschedule.

MY DIET today:

All the same except
    -lunch - another business lunch - swordfish with veggies
    when I got back to my office, I ate 2 servings of oatmeal too.

No late meal - going to bed early

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

hahaha......
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MACHINE
    testing

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Mine looks better.

MACHINE
    But mine is me. lol

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

4/24

Rescheduled my appointment for this saturday - Playboy is sponsoring a special event at my night club, so I'll bring her there and show her what VIP treatment is like.

Got 10 hours of sleep last night and feeling great today. I'll have to work out at 9:00 tonight because of night class. I'll eat and be in bed by 10 for 9 hrs of sleep.(or 8 if I go to the gym tomorrow morning)

I weighed 202 yesterday.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Do you go to college as well as work a full day?

If so damn! Where do you find any time in the day!

How is the article on finding the time coming along? Or have you not found the time yet!!

Note to self: No more puns or crap jokes tuttut

MACHINE
    Lol - you kill me Chicken Daddy. You're right, I haven't found the time.

I work full time, go to graduate school, go to the gym 5 days every week, and work at a night club on friday nights. I manage to do most of my homework on the weekend. I'll do a DJ gig here and there, too and spin a few times a week, making cds for my friends. I'm currently in the process of ironing out the logistics of my own internet company I can run out of my basement, too. Other than that, I'm pretty bored - I'm thinking about volunteering at a local boys & girls club to use my spare time wisely. Those kids are really going to benefit from the 5 minutes I can spend with them every other week.

Although I didn't deadlift last night, my back/calves workout went awesome.

Weighted hyper extensions - 3 sets
    Pull ups - 3 sets
    Dumbell rows - 3 sets
    Cable rows - 1 set
    Rear delts - 2 sets
    Standing calf raises - 4 sets

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Wow ace. You're back routine is like mine.

Notice yours is like mine and not vice versa

whaddya know, that's basically mine, too.

MACHINE

4/25

Slept 7 hours and woke up exhausted today - effects of the weekend still lingering. Almost fell head first into my wall when I got out of bed 'cause my equalibrium was all messed up. MUST get 9 hours tonight.

Brought MRP to night class last night. Got out of class a little early, so I went to my college gym for a shoulders/arms workout.

-Dumbell press - 3 sets
    -shrugs - 2 sets
    -Lateral dumbell raises - 3 sets

Gym closed at 9:00, so I didn't have time for arms. I'll do them today with abs. I'm growing and getting stronger by the day, it seems. My body is in an extremely anabolic state right now - my hormone levels must be through the roof cause I walk around with a chubby half the day. lol When I'm not working, I'm thinking about women, food, and weights. Life is grand. Wonder which one is giving me the chubby

Yes, this is more graphic than other journals on here, but hey, it's a JOURNAL - a look into the life of a busy, dedicated trainer.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

4/26

Slept 8 hrs last night...getting better. Did arms/abs last night.

-Barbell curls - 4 sets
    -dumbell hammer curls - 1 set

-OH dumbell press - 4 sets
    -pressdowns - 1 set

-behind back forearm curls - 2 sets
    -reverse dumbell wrist curls - 1 set

-crunches - 3 sets
    -leg raises - 2 sets

Went to bed at 11 because I had to catch the last episode of sopranos I missed on sunday.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

4/27

Leg workout last night. I switched it up a little for sh!ts and giggles.

-Dumbell SLDL - 3 sets
    -Leg extensions - 2 sets
    -Squat - 3 sets
    -Lying leg curls - 1 set

Legs were like jello before I squatted, so you can probably imagine how fun that was. Just put 275 on the bar and repped it out for 3 sets to failure. Napped on the couch from 8:30 to 9:30. Woke up, cooked some salmon, took my flax and went to bed at 10:00. I didn't fall asleep till almost 12 for some reason, so I only got 7 hours sleep last night. I could squeeze in an hour of sleep before work tonight, but that's it. My roommates want to get a keg and have friends over tomorrow afternoon, but it all depends on the weather - chance of rain. I have a chest workout scheduled for tomorrow.
    Last edited by gino; 04-27-2001 at 07:19 AM.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

4/30

This was the worst weekend ever for dieting. I started drinking at 2:00 saturday and didn't stop until 2:00 am. I had fun partying, but it was not a smart thing on my part. Power sunday went well yesterday. I ate:

-1 bag of potato chips
    -1 pint of ben & jerry's
    -Taco bell
    -Domino's deep dish pizza
    -1 mrp with peanut butter

Grand total - 6500 calories. Today, my body will be a calorie burning machine. Back workout scheduled for tonight.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

5/3

It's been a while, but everything's going well. Upped my calories slightly, and weighed 206 yesterday. Workouts going well, except for a pain in my left elbow that bothers me during curls & tricep pressing movements. I think it's something I can work through though - just a slight hyperextension. It'll get a rest tonight, though because I'm doing legs. Last week I squatted at the end of my leg workout, but this week I'm squatting first.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

5/9

Squats went well last week - 345 x 10, 9, 6

Deadlifted a couple nights ago before my back workout - 425 x 12, 10

Back is still sore. I'm hoping it's good to go tomorrow night for squats. Shoulders/arms scheduled for tonight. After taking yesterday off and getting 9 hours sleep last night, I'm ready for a kick a$$ workout.

I don't know how much longer I can continue bulking. I'm growing out of my clothes - I've already had to put a couple pairs of pants away because I'm busting out of them. 2 more weeks, then the cutting begins. I'll be a ripped mofo soon. I'll take before & after pics, too.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

How long do you cut for?

Also, would you please keep a regularly updated journal throughout your cutting process with all the in's and out's that go with it such as diet and training etc... I wanna get a good idea of it for when i diet.

Cheers man!

MACHINE

5/11

I'll cut until I reach my goal... Now I just have to make up my mind. There is a show this summer I thought about doing, so obviously I'll want to get MUCH lower bf if I do the show. Otherwise, I'll probably just shoot for 6% at ? lbs. We'll see. I'll keep close tabs on my progress.

Legs went well last night.

Squat - 355 x 9,7,6
    Leg Curl - 2 sets
    Leg Ext/Leg Press - 2 supersets (holy $hit, this one's a killer)

I would have done some SLDLs, but my lower back was not up to it - Apparently, it had not fully recovered from deadlifts on monday. Next week, I'm gonna see what I can get with 365 lbs for squats. I've steadily gone up every week, so why not push the envelope a little.

I had to de-clog the bath tub last night, so I didn't get to bed until 12. Got 7 hours sleep. Tonight I have no workout scheduled, so I'll try to squeeze in a nap before I leave for the club at 8.

I felt like I could use some extra calories yesterday, so I got a double quarter pounder at McDs before my workout. HA HA, FATNESS! Other than that, all my meals went as planned.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

MACHINE

5/17

Training & diet still going well. Started cutting carbs out before bed. My last meal is only protein & flax.

This weekend was a rough one though. Saturday night, I'm talking to some girl at a bar and her ex boyfriend & all his friends were there - he got ****ed and started a fight with me. Of course, all of my friends are no where to be found at this point when he reaches around and pushes me from behind his wall of friends. Well, I snapped and started clocking & headbutting everyone I could get my hands on. I finally made my way through his friends who wanted no part of me at this point, and this 160 lb punk throws a punch at me that just misses. I grabbed him by the neck and literally picked him up off his feet and choke slammed him on the floor. Sounds good right? Wrong. He was holding onto my shirt the whole time and dragged me down with him. I hit my head on the corner of a juke box or cigarette machine, or something and split my head next to my left eye. The bouncer finally pulled me off the top of him as I straddled him and plugged away at his face. I ended up getting 4 stitches. HOWEVER, the girl I was with managed to get my number from one of my friends and called me last night. She wants to see me this weekend. Ha ha ha, that's a slap in the face(after a punch in the face) to her ex if I ever heard of one.

NOW, how does this all relate to training? Well, I have a leg workout scheduled for tonight, but I'll have to change it up a little so that I don't bust out of my stitches. No heavy squats, that's for sure. We'll see about SLDLs - those could be out of the question too. I'll post my workout tomorrow.
    Last edited by gino; 05-17-2001 at 12:03 PM.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Violence doesn't solve anything, Gino! tuttut

lol ... whatever, glad to hear you kicked his punk ass biaiaiaiach face in!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Gino why are you cutting out carbs in your last meal? I thought you didn't believe in the "carbs before bed" myth?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me