Thread: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Tori Amos's rendition. Awesome.

Video

One question... something I never figures out... what the heck does "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido" mean?

A biracial person, an albino, a small sex drive?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-25-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I've seen lots of speculation about what a lot of Kurt's lyrics mean, and there's a good bit of speculation here and there about what that line means. Kurt is quite famous for simply stringing together words that fit the music, rather than always writing deep lyrics that actually mean something. Dave Grohl has spoken before about Kurt's ability to write lyrics to a song 5 minutes prior to performing it for the first time.

I did a bit of searching; people have a lot of opinions, but there's no consensus, and Kurt himself didn't have too much to say about any meaning in the song.

I've always been disappointed that they didn't play this song on their Unplugged album.
    Last edited by yasher; 08-25-2009 at 05:22 PM.

See, Ive read a TON on Nirvana and from what I understand Kurt would say it was all last minute drivel and didnt mean anything. He would only say this to keep the lime light away from the lyrics and poetry. As Im sure you know he'd turn his poetry into the lyrics. Check out the RoughHouse bnad books, theyre awesome.

Hey man, Im in Dallas. Where do you train?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-25-2009 at 05:38 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Smells like teen spirit won the JJJ award for the best song of all time, being covered in almost every style of music. My favourite so far has been a big band version, I would like to get my hands on a copy of it!

OP, the first time I heard a Nirvana song I knew the singer was depressed. The way he was singing, his voice was so whinny and depressed. It came as no surprise to me when he killed himself.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Smells like teen spirit won the JJJ award for the best song of all time, being covered in almost every style of music. My favourite so far has been a big band version, I would like to get my hands on a copy of it!
    Video
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    OP, the first time I heard a Nirvana song I knew the singer was depressed. The way he was singing, his voice was so whinny and depressed. It came as no surprise to me when he killed himself.
    Well, they are my favorite band of all time and kick some serious ass. No doubt he was depressed as can be... although, from what I understand he want through highs and lows.
    Sarvamangalam!

Haha, THANKS! Made my morning.

Yeah, Kurts' issues were BEYOND depressing. Perpetual stomach cramping and ab pains, herion being the height of his pain relief. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    i'm not surprised either.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    See, Ive read a TON on Nirvana and from what I understand Kurt would say it was all last minute drivel and didnt mean anything. He would only say this to keep the lime light away from the lyrics and poetry. As Im sure you know he'd turn his poetry into the lyrics. Check out the RoughHouse bnad books, theyre awesome.
    I'm not trying to downplay the awesomeness of Kurt's lyrics; I'm a huge fan of Nirvana. That line just reads like nonsense to me, and I'm ok with that, because it's a pretty cool nonsensical line. I'd love to know what it meant, if anything at all.

The most interesting interpretation of it I read online somewhere posited that it was about heroin in some way. Shocking that someone would think a Cobain line was about heroin heh.

Hey man, Im in Dallas. Where do you train?
    I don't train anywhere as of today; tomorrow I'm going to sign up at The Gym in Carrollton, unless I stumble across information that would lead me elsewhere. I looked into Metroflex in Plano, and I tried to get in touch with the guys from Bad Attitude; Metroflex is a long drive for me, and I never got a response from the Bad Attitude guys. I work within a mile of The Gym, and only live about ~15 minutes away, so my decision was pretty easy.

Got any suggestions? I'm a blank slate with absolutely no lifting experience, and I'd love any recommendations!

Edit: While this may be blasphemy because they didn't write it, I think my favorite song by Nirvana is their cover of Jesus Don't Want me for a Sunbeam.
    Last edited by yasher; 08-25-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Adambag, a member here, trains at bat attitude, talk to him. Keep trying them... they like to put their interested customers through a lot to prove themselves I guess. Thats basically the feeling I got from them. They dont want people to flake on them. Im pretty sure they are in Carrollton too.

SMU has a good gym... lots of eye candy (LOTS) and no one ever uses the squat racks or platform and bumper plates. Its only like 50 bucks a month.

There is a crossfit in Plano and Dallas.

There is a Velocity Sports Performance on 75.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-25-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I saw an interview with Dave Groll once and he said they'd usually just write some random stuff down for lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    I saw an interview with Dave Groll once and he said they'd usually just write some random stuff down for lyrics.
    I remember an interview in the 90s and Kurt said just said that to keep attention away from jumpy lyric translations. I think it also says something similar in the RoughHouse book.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    My favorite version of Teen Spirit

Video

Quote Originally Posted by FrankVaultakkii View Post
    My favorite version of Teen Spirit

Video
    its like a 4 minute rickroll.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

My favorite Nirvana song was their last one they recorded. For some reason it gets me pumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5YcnsotZI
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    My favorite Nirvana song was their last one they recorded. For some reason it gets me pumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5YcnsotZI
    bill, thats also my favorite. good pick

Was that one not released on on album? I have all 5 of their albums (including unplugged) but couldnt find that song.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Was that one not released on on album? I have all 5 of their albums (including unplugged) but couldnt find that song.
    its on the greatest hits.

When Cobain killed himself Grohl and Novoselic and Love controlled the rights, but Love didn't wanted it released. Supposedly it is about her when they were going through some rough times. Hole did an acoustic version of it on MTV unplugged, but changed the lyrics around. Finally it was released on the greatest hits. I remember driving in the car and the radio dj came over and said this was the first time it was being played on the air.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Damn. How did I not know that. Grunge is the ****!
    Sarvamangalam!

I saw them in Buffalo. What a great concert - they seemed to play forever. First song was Rape Me, everyone that it was Smells Like Teen Spirit, I remember the pit was building up steam and they all thought it was coming and it went all mellow. Was pretty funny.