Thread: Strength Indicators

Strength Indicators

I have decided to set up days throughout the year to determine my overall level of strength, conditioning, and the like. I plan on doing these test days every 12 weeks, or at the end of every calendar quarter. Along with testing my 1RM on the Squat, Bench, and Deadlift, I wanted to add other movements that would also test my strength. Things that every strong and conditioned man should be able to do. I am having trouble coming up with some.

What do you believe a strong and conditiioned man should be able to do?

Pick up and carry a washing machine or atleast a dryer by himself, could be an accident waiting to happen though, I did this yesterday and it wasn't easy walking blind.

Why don't you just do a meet? Lol
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Why don't you just do a meet? Lol
    Haha. Excelent question. I do not feel my strength up to the task of a meet yet. I will, one day, compete. But I don't want to embarrass myself. At least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by luigisacs View Post
    Haha. Excelent question. I do not feel my strength up to the task of a meet yet. I will, one day, compete. But I don't want to embarrass myself. At least not yet.
    If you go to a meet and lift as hard as you can, you'll have the support of everyone at the meet. Meets will help you get stronger, I find they light a huge fire under me when I see a guy 100 pounds less than me squat 1055 (which was the case this past weekend)
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I've seen some of the weakest lifters at a meet get the most cheers and applause because you could tell they were giving an all-out effort. You can also pick up so many training tips and technique adjustments at a meet that it could literally save you months or years of frustration compared to continuing to train alone.
    Do your first meet just to get an official total on the board, then try to beat that total at your second meet, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    I've seen some of the weakest lifters at a meet get the most cheers and applause because you could tell they were giving an all-out effort. You can also pick up so many training tips and technique adjustments at a meet that it could literally save you months or years of frustration compared to continuing to train alone.
    Do your first meet just to get an official total on the board, then try to beat that total at your second meet, etc....
    Exactly. Walk up to the strongest guys and talk to them, most of the time they will be very humble and willing to give you advice.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Exactly. Walk up to the strongest guys and talk to them, most of the time they will be very humble and willing to give you advice.
    Thank you both for the help. I think I may take that advise and do my first meet.

Although, a meet will help me test my absolute strength, I know there are more things out there other than squatting, benching, and deadlifting. More athletic endeavors as well. Those are the kind of things I'm looking to test myself with as well.

If you only compete when you think you can go in and take the win, you'll probably never compete.
    Powerlifting is about competing against yourself. At the very least, you'll beat all the people who talk about it but never show up to a meet.

Thank you both for the help. I think I may take that advise and do my first meet.

Although, a meet will help me test my absolute strength, I know there are more things out there other than squatting, benching, and deadlifting. More athletic endeavors as well. Those are the kind of things I'm looking to test myself with as well.
    I can tell with every day tasks, like at work at stuff. If you can lift something you never thought of, or someone is asking you "how do you lift that!?" You're getting stronger
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Although, a meet will help me test my absolute strength, I know there are more things out there other than squatting, benching, and deadlifting. More athletic endeavors as well.
    I agree. That's why I train strongman as well. The powerlifts are great and builds a great foundation in strength, but actually walking with heavy weights ( for example ), like yoke walk or farmers walk, is a completely different thing, and IMHO just as important.

Figure out specifically what you want to be good at. Trying to be good at every athletic endeavor means you probably won't be able to really excel at any one thing. Set some short term, intermediate, and long term goals for the SQ, BP, and DL, then set some other strength related goals that will complement these. For example, set goals for your pull-ups, olympic lifts, strongman event, etc.... Ultimately you will have to decide what's most important to you, as you it's very difficult to excel in every area, even if they are all strength-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Figure out specifically what you want to be good at. Trying to be good at every athletic endeavor means you probably won't be able to really excel at any one thing. Set some short term, intermediate, and long term goals for the SQ, BP, and DL, then set some other strength related goals that will complement these. For example, set goals for your pull-ups, olympic lifts, strongman event, etc.... Ultimately you will have to decide what's most important to you, as you it's very difficult to excel in every area, even if they are all strength-related.
    Thank you for the post. This is exactly what I am trying to determine. I definite short, medium, and long term goals for the powerlifting events. However, I know they are not the end all be all values in terms of strength. I was hoping to get some ideas on what else is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    If you only compete when you think you can go in and take the win, you'll probably never compete.
    Powerlifting is about competing against yourself. At the very least, you'll beat all the people who talk about it but never show up to a meet.
    Thanks Beverly. I don't expect to win, that is far from it. I just don't want to be embarrassed. My log is linked to my sig. My numbers aren't anything impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    I agree. That's why I train strongman as well. The powerlifts are great and builds a great foundation in strength, but actually walking with heavy weights ( for example ), like yoke walk or farmers walk, is a completely different thing, and IMHO just as important.
    BigTallOx - What are your opinions that a non strong man should be doing to help his strength base? I am not going to train all out strong man as it is not what I plan on competing in. But I do have access to a number of the strongman items.

Took a glance at your log. You're improving and hitting PR's. You must be doing something right.
    Saw you're having a knee issue. If you're letting the knees suck in at all on at the bottom of your deadlift or squat, that could cause it. Keep your center of gravity on your heels, don't let it shift toward the balls of your feet, and drive your knees OUT hard on the bottom of the movement. That will help a ton to address the cause.
    It's a common condition, not a big deal, but it sure can get tiresome.
    In the meantime you might want to ice it after every workout.

Banned
    BigTallOx - What are your opinions that a non strong man should be doing to help his strength base? I am not going to train all out strong man as it is not what I plan on competing in. But I do have access to a number of the strongman items.
    Right now I'm not training "all out" strongman either. I rotate it in with my max effort squats and deadlifts, as my main focus right now is powerlifting ( that may change in the future once I'm stronger ). I'm definitely not an expert on this and I'm not sure I know the answer to your question. But I'd be willing to be money that yoke walks have improved my squats. After doing atlas stones for the first time, I could tell it works things very differently than the power lifts do, and I can see this really helping my deadlift off the floor. And I'm sure doing tire flips and farmers walks have helped my deadlift and grip strength.