I've decided to do 5/3/1 and stick with it for a bunch of cycles. I understand the basic 5/3/1 percentages for the main lifts, but he's very vague as what you are supposed to do about the assistance lifts. I have the "3 days a week" book, and he gives a whole list of all the lifts to do for each day, and he also gives a VERY WIDE set/rep range to choose from. For instance, he'll say something like choose one exercise, and do 3 to 5 sets of 6 - 20 reps....Now that's a pretty broad range to choose from.

See I've been doing 2 - 3 assistance lifts each day, and I plan on sticking with the lifts I chose for a few cycles before changing anything. For sets/reps, I usually just "wing it". I'll either do 4 x 8 or 3 x 10, or 4 x 10, or 3 x 15, or whatever......

The thing is is that I'm not sure I'm using the assistance lifts in the manner that they are supposed to be used, which is to help weaknesses and to target specific muscles which are involed in the main lifts. My concern is that doing high reps:

1.) Increases volume, which may hinder recovery
2.) "tears down" the muscle, which is more of a BBing thing as opposed to gaining strength
3.) doesn't directly lead to strength gains???? Or does it???

See I figure in order to get stronger, why not lift HEAVY weight, LOW reps, right? But doing MODERATE weight, HIGH reps seems counterproductive....Or is it the hypertrophy aspect that the higher volume/higher reps thing is aiming for.

Does anyone have a good link or possibly an explanation about this?

Thanks a lot!