The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

A Weak Man's Journey to Strong - My Starting Strength Log

Hi there, folks!

I decided it was about time to stop planning how I was gonna workout, and actually work out - what a thought, right?

I'm an absolute novice lifter; this afternoon was my first time in a gym in a number of years, and the first time I'd ever attempted to squat, bench press or deadlift.

I'm 25 years old, 6'5, 188 lbs.

I have a diet plan; you can look at it here if you're interested. Today was my first day attempting to eat right, and I've only been able to get down my calories through sheer force of will. I also didn't plan very well and didn't have the appropriate amount of milk on hand, so I was stuck improvising with the wife's skim milk and a lots of peanut butter, to get all my calories in today.

The gym! I found a nice little local gym that has a pair of squat racks and is near work - I plan to be going to the gym immediately after work on gym days. I was excited and nervous about getting into the gym for the first time. "Am I gonna make an ass of myself? I really don't know what the hell I'm doing... I hope I don't drop a bar!" Those were the thoughts that were running through my head.

Got to the gym, got signed up and did my 10 minutes on the bike to get the blood flowing.

I didn't get the numbers I wanted, but I won't let that get me down, considering this is only my first time lifting weights properly!

Also, I'm completely aware that these lifts don't yet fit into the standard 3 sets of 5 reps that Starting Strength adheres to; I definitely plan to use those guidelines, but this way day one, so gimme a break

Squats
    Bar x5
    Bar x5
    Bar x5
    65lb x5
    85lb x5
    85lb x2 - Form fell apart on this set, I don't know if I didn't rest enough, but I couldn't get through this.

I tried to pay close attention to my form, but I think I need to be sure to refer to some notes on the important aspects of form just prior to attempting the lift; there's so much to remember!

Bench Press
    - Bar x5
    - Bar x5
    - 65lb x5
    - 65lb x5
    - 85lb x4

Again with the form issues; there's so damn much to remember! A gent at the gym suggested that I needed to tuck my shoulders more and be sure to bring the bar down onto my nipples, not my upper pecs. Good advice, I think.

Deadlift
    - 115lb x5
    - 115lb x5
    - 135lb x4

The last pull at 135 made me see purple, and I figured it would be prudent to stop there. I also realized that it might be a good idea to pull up my socks so I don't rip my shins to pieces while learning to do this lift.

So, I was rather disappointed to be squatting as much as I was benching; I'm sure this is due to poor form and general lack of developed musculature.

If anyone's in the DFW area, feel free to get in touch, I'd love to meet some other lifters in the area!

Any advice, comments, thoughts, etc are appreciated!
    Last edited by yasher; 08-26-2009 at 08:56 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!