Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Westside Releases Statement Regarding Hoff Incident

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    448

    Westside Releases Statement Regarding Hoff Incident

    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/12308



    Looks like its not over yet........(sigh)
    Last edited by AJL11; 08-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    200
    Good grief, just when I thought there might be some closure.
    Last edited by sayagain; 08-27-2009 at 02:20 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    who cares! the money went to cartwright and wenning. hoff was suspended! who cares what is said after the fact. it's over, let it go. nobody needs closure. i still like lou regardless of his view on the situation.

  4. #4
    Undead Evil He-Man KarlMarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    0
    So many people seem so sure over whether there was cheating or not. On one hand, apparently nobody saw it in person. Which is very important because if it were that obvious somebody would likely have seen something. On the other hand, the video makes it seem clearly like there was cheating. I think if you have to go with one or the other, you go with what you saw in person. That doesn't mean that cheating did or did not happen, just that you have to go with what was seen in person by people looking from 30 different angles instead of what you see on the video from one. We may never know what happened for CERTAIN, just what the evidence leads us to believe is likely. In the end, I sort of agree with Louie. Not that Hoff was CERTAINLY innocent, just that you have to go with the judgment on the platform.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    200
    It just seems like a very odd statement from Louie.

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    46
    So does anyone have any doubts now about why no one said anything to Louie at the meet?

  7. #7
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,365
    I said this over on Outlaws and I'll say it here and then I'm done with it:

    If it's not true then why did I get calls from people at the meet and after the meet saying wait until you see the s**t Hoff pulled? The suspension and money being changed happened for a reason. I respect the hell out of Louie and appreciate all he has done for the sport, but I am not going to sit back and just take his word on this one.

    Either way this s**t is over with. Hoff will be watched like a hawk everytime he lifts. This incident will probably have judges everywhere more on their toes. I'm done with this drama now, it's time to worry about my own training.

    I say this fully knowing there are guys here with close ties to Westside. These words do not reflect my opinion of them
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-27-2009 at 03:20 PM.


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  8. #8
    Atheist Lifter evilxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Duluth,GA
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I said this over on Outlaws and I'll say it here and then I'm done with it:

    If it's not true then why did I get calls from people at the meet and after the meet saying wait until you see the s**t Hoff pulled? The suspension and money being changed happened for a reason. I respect the hell out of Louie and appreciate all he has done for the sport, but I am not going to sit back and just take his word on this one.

    Either way this s**t is over with. Hoff will be watched like a hawk everytime he lifts. This incident will probably have judges everywhere more on their toes. I'm done with this drama now, it's time to worry about my own training.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

    2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

  9. #9
    Da Bears slashkills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    2,749
    there may be some repercussions for Hoff at westside that Lou doesn't want to make public. Maybe Louie doesn't want to publicly talk crap about one of his guys at westside. That does sound weird for Lou though.
    Last edited by slashkills; 08-27-2009 at 03:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Undead Evil He-Man KarlMarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    If it's not true then why did I get calls from people at the meet and after the meet saying wait until you see the s**t Hoff pulled?
    I didn't know this. But really, I've already said too much about something that doesn't directly concern me. So I am going to follow a good lead and 'forever hold my peace' on this one.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins CO
    Posts
    1,829
    This is what strikes me as odd
    " have already given Matt Wenning and extra $500 which gave him the second place money and Scott Cartwright $1,000 which moved him into third place. "

    If he is so innocent, why did Louie pay up?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    This is what strikes me as odd
    " have already given Matt Wenning and extra $500 which gave him the second place money and Scott Cartwright $1,000 which moved him into third place. "

    If he is so innocent, why did Louie pay up?
    either way, it was the right thing to do.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    563
    well, this doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. If thats WSB's official stance on it, then its there stance. I just dont understand why, lifts were discounted, money exchanged, places changed, punishments handed out, if their was nothing wrong.....seems odd to do all that, and then come out and say thier was no cheating...

    [/QUOTE]I say this fully knowing there are guys here with close ties to Westside. These words do not reflect my opinion of them[/QUOTE]


    I like this part Vinnie, I think I will start placing disclaimers in my posts as well lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

    Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

    Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

  14. #14
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    I still don't see why no one said anything to anyone about it. If they saw something, they should have spoken up. I was sitting in the front row during his benches and I couldn't see anything, Lou was right next to me and didn't mention anything either. Someone that said they saw something, or noticed an abnormal bulge should have said something to a ref, or Jesse, or Mike Ferguson. That would cut out the whole factor of the internet
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    563
    true lones, if anyone saw anything at the meet they should have said something. But they didnt say anything, so we get a vid to look at....

    To answer that question though, do you get up and watch over the top of other lifters when you are competing? I dont. I sit in my chair and watch from afar, but much like the audience, you cant see anything, but maybe the bar move.

    One other thing is that their are wayyy to many spotters involved in the lift. This is something that I have told jesse in the past. I dont like the fact that there are 3 spotters on each side of the bar and the handoff guy is allowed to stay on the platform....its just too much. Its not lifter friendly, its not spectator friendly, its not judge friendly, its just too much. I understand jesse's stance..he wants the lifter to be safe, but its too much. If two or three good spotters cant handle 800+, then you dont have the right spotters. The only angle that anyone can really see from is the one that was shot at this meet.....

    Just my opinion, I still have the same stance as I did before, I still respect the fact that everyone is allowed to have their own opinion of it
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

    Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

    Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

  16. #16
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    true lones, if anyone saw anything at the meet they should have said something. But they didnt say anything, so we get a vid to look at....

    To answer that question though, do you get up and watch over the top of other lifters when you are competing? I dont. I sit in my chair and watch from afar, but much like the audience, you cant see anything, but maybe the bar move.

    One other thing is that their are wayyy to many spotters involved in the lift. This is something that I have told jesse in the past. I dont like the fact that there are 3 spotters on each side of the bar and the handoff guy is allowed to stay on the platform....its just too much. Its not lifter friendly, its not spectator friendly, its not judge friendly, its just too much. I understand jesse's stance..he wants the lifter to be safe, but its too much. If two or three good spotters cant handle 800+, then you dont have the right spotters. The only angle that anyone can really see from is the one that was shot at this meet.....

    Just my opinion, I still have the same stance as I did before, I still respect the fact that everyone is allowed to have their own opinion of it
    I can understand that, the whole too many spotters thing. It makes it hard for the refs to see and what not.

    It still doesn't change the fact that several people said they saw something under Hoff's shirt at the meet. If they thought it was that out of line (and it was, if its true) they should have said something at the meet right when they saw it, or immediately after. It doesn't make sense to me...
    Last edited by Lones Green; 08-27-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  17. #17
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    46
    The ONLY federation here is an IPF affiliate. The rules clearly state that drug use is prohibitted. At the same time many of the top local lifters brag about their drug use. Why doesn't anyone say anything? Two reasons and I bet money they applied here too:

    1) No one wants to be seen as a cry baby or rat.
    2) Usually people will be afraid that even if they do tell, the guy cheating is in with the authorities running the meet or federation so nothing will happen.

    After seeing this public statement. I am more confident than ever that anyone who saw anything weird just said to themselves: "Screw it, nothing will happen anyway."

  18. #18
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    Quote Originally Posted by sobrinoc View Post
    The ONLY federation here is an IPF affiliate. The rules clearly state that drug use is prohibitted. At the same time many of the top local lifters brag about their drug use. Why doesn't anyone say anything? Two reasons and I bet money they applied here too:

    1) No one wants to be seen as a cry baby or rat.
    2) Usually people will be afraid that even if they do tell, the guy cheating is in with the authorities running the meet or federation so nothing will happen.

    After seeing this public statement. I am more confident than ever that anyone who saw anything weird just said to themselves: "Screw it, nothing will happen anyway."
    IMO, anyone with an attitude like that is a pretty big scaredy cat...I wanted to say something else, but it wouldn't be appropriate. To me, thats still no excuse
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    703
    Soooo...... Louie's implying the video was doctored?

    I assume thiers more than one video right? What about the eyewitnesses (after the fact no less!)

  20. #20
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,645
    I have not spoken to Louie about this. I probably won't unless he brings it up.

    My take is that he did what he did with the money to try to appease everyone and move on. Louie respects those who do, not those who talk. I think he sees the anonymous people on the net who trash every lift of the best of the best for what it is, those who weren't there trying to judge something after the fact and being negative for the sake of being negative.

    Read what he wrote carefully. He collects big money for these meets. He spends a LOT of his own money. His invests time AND money and what does he get for it but a bunch of whining and complaining from those who were not there? I can understand his frustration.

    I remember a WPO meet (at the Arnold) where Louie, Doris, and myself were the only ones awarding cash in fist (or a couple of checks as well as cash in my case). Louie made SURE those lifters were actually going to get some money. THAT is the kind of guy he is. He does more for people than most of you will ever know. THAT is the kind of guy he is. He does what he does for the love of the sport.

    Like I said before, nothing was noted at the meet. You cannot go back in time, therefore you cannot conclusively prove anything. People are damning Hoff without knowing for sure. They want to convict him on hearsay. That is stupid and dangerous.

    At any meets in the future Hoff will be watched closely. That is all that should come of this.

    I respect Louie and am glad he has spoken his peace on the matter.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    563
    I would say it is highly likely Lou hasnt watched the vid and prolly wont.....I am sure he heard about it from others. Just my thought on that.

    My question is should everything count that we can get by the judges? I can set a WR in a meet tomorrow, if I go to a 3 brd with it...no camera allowed lol

    Not questioning anyones integrity or attacking Lou, WSB or any others that may have an opposing view....
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

    Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

    Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

  22. #22
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    I would say it is highly likely Lou hasnt watched the vid and prolly wont.....I am sure he heard about it from others. Just my thought on that.

    My question is should everything count that we can get by the judges? I can set a WR in a meet tomorrow, if I go to a 3 brd with it...no camera allowed lol

    Not questioning anyones integrity or attacking Lou, WSB or any others that may have an opposing view....
    Daniel put it perfectly with his soccer references. In EVERY sport mistakes are made. Things get missed. Life goes on.

    IF video were allowed as part of the judging process as a meet rule prior to its commencement, then it should be considered. If not, then everyone should go with the calls made at the meet. That's it.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  23. #23
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Daniel put it perfectly with his soccer references. In EVERY sport mistakes are made. Things get missed. Life goes on.

    IF video were allowed as part of the judging process as a meet rule prior to its commencement, then it should be considered. If not, then everyone should go with the calls made at the meet. That's it.
    You're right things get missed in a meet. I have seen squats passed and failed that should have been the other way. That happens and it's human. I am more pissed that even after seeing the video Louie still reffuses to state that he did cheat.

    I don't like someone lying and telling me that something was white when you can clearly see that it's black. And that is what Louie is doing.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Daniel put it perfectly with his soccer references. In EVERY sport mistakes are made. Things get missed. Life goes on.

    IF video were allowed as part of the judging process as a meet rule prior to its commencement, then it should be considered. If not, then everyone should go with the calls made at the meet. That's it.
    Chris,

    Well spoken... As you stated, things do get missed, and life does go on.

    Besides, I'm sure Hoffs a good kid. He's only (21) for christ sake... I made a lot wrose mistakes at his age!

    He'll learn from this incident and come back better for it!

    Just my 2-cent
    RC

  25. #25
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by cunniff81 View Post
    You're right things get missed in a meet. I have seen squats passed and failed that should have been the other way. That happens and it's human. I am more pissed that even after seeing the video Louie still reffuses to state that he did cheat.

    I don't like someone lying and telling me that something was white when you can clearly see that it's black. And that is what Louie is doing.
    a) You don't know if Louie watched the video. He very likely did not.
    b) If his guy told him he didn't do it Louie should take him at his word unless he has other reasons not to.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Similar Threads

  1. Westside Barbell Seminar
    By Travis Bell in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
  2. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  3. Westside Primer/FAQ by Kethnaab
    By Sentinel in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
  4. Westside Template Made Easy
    By Sensei in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 01:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •