Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendelson 1102 lb. bench attempt!

Hybrid View

Mendelson 1102 lb. bench attempt!

Holy ***t has anyone seen this video at PL watch?

This guy is closing in on Kennelly's record for sure. Awesome show of strength despite the fact he missed it twice!!!

PS: can anyone post it here on WBB? I'm sorta' computer challanged, otherwise I'd do it...

Thx.
    RC

I wish it was a better angle, its kind of hard to see what's going on from up above like that...although it'd make for a cool picture.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Video
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, let us bow to his great ability to attempt great lifts...

Yeah, I am not sure how I feel about the video being posted. The man is incredibly strong to be sure, but it would rather see his successes, not misses.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I thought it was something else that he told the kid to bring that chalk bowl to him....I dont think I have ever seen a lifter both get his wrists wrapped for him and get the chalk bowl brought to him. Scott always wants to get everyone involved in the meet lol

The only way to top that is to stand in the corner and have the bench brought over too......lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

I guess it's cool. Let me know when he actually hits a weight again.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    I guess it's cool. Let me know when he actually hits a weight again.
    This is kind of funny. I used to lift with Scot last year and we talked about hitting openers and then go for prs. And he told me that he will still get sh%t talked about him even if he did get a couple of lifts on the board first before he went for the weight he wanted.

I didnt believe him, so I talked him into lowering his attempts at a meet in November of last year. He opened with 903(smoked it), then followed by making 1014 and 1025. So, the guy went 3 for 3 and do you know what happened after that? People on these kind of forums still talked sh%t about the guy because he didnt hit over 1074(Ryans record). So, he proved me wrong. So, In his mind the only thing that matters is the number he wants to hit. He doesnt care about hitting 903 anymore. To him it is a wasted attempt.

Myself, I like the idea of getting one on the board then going for it. I guess when you put 975+ pounds on the bar it takes alot out of you. So, then you see alot of these big boys just go straight to it.

As far as these training videos being posted, Scot himself doesnt post them. People just show up to his workouts and video stuff. And if they ask him if he minds, the answer is always the same "I dont care". I dont even think Scot knows how to use a computer. lol
    Last edited by Priest; 09-09-2009 at 07:17 AM.

scott is the greatest bench attempter of all time

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    scott is the greatest bench attempter of all time
    Not fair. I hear what you're saying and I've never seen him actually hit a bench in person, BUT Scot Mendelson has been at or near the top of the heap for what? 10+ years now? He'd rather swing for the fences every time in meets - I can understand that. He has nothing to gain by benching 900lbs in a meet.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-30-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

how about 1050? or maybe 1030 for a quick pr

Husky,

Thanks for posting man!

What shirt is he wearing? Cant see any logo's... At any rate, it takes b**** of steel to get under that kind of weight!!!

Hats off to all the big benchers on this forum as well. I'm still grinding away myself... (@405-shirted)

LOL Paul I noticed the exact same thing! Never seen someone order the chalk bowl brought over to them before. LOL.

I think the logo on his singlet says Overkill right? Can't tell for sure.

I'm with douglasoh, if it were me I'd go for a PR first. Kennelly didn't take the record by attempting weights that were too heavy for him over and over and over again, he slowly worked his weight up by hitting PRs consistently

Kennelly has been one of the top dogs for quite some time now as well.

I can't speak for Mendelson obviously, but when I miss an attempt at a meet, it takes a ton more out of me than making the attempt does. Thats why I always do better when I pick progressive attempts that I know I can make and just go for broke on the third.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Travis,
    He has the whole posse thing going on and isn't short on ego - certainly doesn't win him any PL popularity contests - I get that.
    I'm not speaking to the wisdom of his weight choices in meets, just saying I can understand where he's coming from. He's done 1000, at least in his gym - he wants a record and nothing less.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Travis,
    He has the whole posse thing going on and isn't short on ego - certainly doesn't win him any PL popularity contests - I get that.
    I'm not speaking to the wisdom of his weight choices in meets, just saying I can understand where he's coming from. He's done 1000, at least in his gym - he wants a record and nothing less.
    Agreed...He has done 1025Lbs. officially... Scots going for all the marbles w/ the 1100 attempt.

I saw another video where he's trying 1200 lbs. in the gym off a 2-bd.(unbelievable)!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Travis,
    Different ways to achieve a goal I suppose.

I fully realize he wants the record, but the fact remains he's not strong enough for it yet. I want the 275 bench record (not quite the same example because Im much farther away from it than Mendelson is the all time record) so I could attempt it tomorrow and badly miss it 3 times, or I can just keep plugging along playing it smart.

Missing weights as often as Mendelson has really puts a damper on the benches he does succeed with.

1025 is his official bench, why not take 1030 on a second. Next meet, 1040 or 1050 after that 1060 etc. See what I mean? He's close enough to where if he'd have been progressive in his work towards the all time record, it seems to me he'd have been there by now.

You don't get stronger when you are missing stuff all the time.

Just my 2 cents. I never critique guys who bench more than me, this just feels like a different situation because he hardly ever gets good attempts in with PR weights

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    That's a Overkill shirt. It's one of hell of a shirt, custom made to your specifications. Everyone on my team switched from a DBL Inzer Rage-X to Overkill and now are hitting p.r's. I'm still in the Rage-x and still hitting a p.r every week, so i can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by TankofZenzenBB View Post
    That's a Overkill shirt. It's one of hell of a shirt, custom made to your specifications. Everyone on my team switched from a DBL Inzer Rage-X to Overkill and now are hitting p.r's. I'm still in the Rage-x and still hitting a p.r every week, so i can't complain.
    ive been trying to get one of those for a while now, and cant get the guys info that makes em- all i get told is its rudy who trains at frantz gym..

Wannabebig Member
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    Quote Originally Posted by allan3 View Post
    ive been trying to get one of those for a while now, and cant get the guys info that makes em- all i get told is its rudy who trains at frantz gym..
    I don't have the info but I know who does. Try to get a hold of Rob Luyando I know he has it. Another guy that should have Rudy's info is theBarzeen. I believe Rudy and a couple of other lifters from Frantz gym is is now training at Jakked Hardcore. He's also releasing some wraps soon too from what I was told of lifters on my team. They should be like his TP5000 wraps. I would like to see if he can make me a double ply poly suit when I'm ready to get in a suit. They would be a sick suit.
    Last edited by TankofZenzenBB; 08-31-2009 at 10:53 PM.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TankofZenzenBB View Post
    I don't have the info but I know who does. Try to get a hold of Rob Luyando I know he has it. Another guy that should have Rudy's info is theBarzeen. I believe Rudy and a couple of other lifters from Frantz gym is is now training at Jakked Hardcore. He's also releasing some wraps soon too from what I was told of lifters on my team. They should be like his TP5000 wraps. I would like to see if he can make me a double ply poly suit when I'm ready to get in a suit. They would be a sick suit.

Right now the shirts are being made by hand... the price is still LESS than most of the other extreme shirts on the market....

the guy making them can be reached at rudy@overkillstrength.com

he will make you a shirt to your specific measurements..... it will feel too tight at first, but once you learn it you will PR

Guys at Frantz's and Jakked have switched as well and everyone has PR'd

I'm no Scot M, or Luyundo..... but my previous PR was 551 in a BOSS..... after three weeks to work the overkill shirt I hit 584 at AWPC worlds.... since then I have taken 635 to a 1 board and 675 to a 2.5 board..... not great numbers but a heck of an improvement from just switching the shirt....

-quick addition to this post-

he is working on some poly for briefs and suits...... prototypes look amazing

my wife's previous best squat in a 4-ply frantz brief and a canvas is 372 ....

two weeks ago she took 337 for a triple in just the new briefs.....
    Last edited by theBarzeen; 09-07-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allan3 View Post
    Rob Luyando can hook you up with Rudy, but I guess Rob doesn't post here anymore. Damstrate also has his info. Maybe you could PM either one of them.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    Rob Luyando can hook you up with Rudy, but I guess Rob doesn't post here anymore. Damstrate also has his info. Maybe you could PM either one of them.
    thank you for the info :-)

Mendelson is a strong guy, no doubt. But this is an all time record attempt, at his meet, where there are no more people present than his workout partners. With a video angle that would not show the lockout or lack of. What was his opener? 1102? He needs to open with a good lift before an all time record attempt. This is no more than a gym lift attempt. I'll bet anyone can open with 1102 and bomb. I guess every meet needs to have a "chalk boy" now too. Geeeez.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Wannabebig Member
    Well the thing about Mendelson is he's becoming the Hall of Fame's version of the kid who says he can bench 315 but you go to the gym and either he can't do it without someone upright rowing it or his 315 bench does not include touching his chest. I mean compare KK, who's had one meet in three years and is considered THE BEST and the epitomy of manhood by many just by showing succesful youtube gym videos, to Mendelson. The guy is one of the best benchers EVER but in recent memory no one has been able to see him be succesful at any lift. Add to that how he's always saying he's hit a grand raw or benched 1200 in the gym and all of the sudden his ego and mouth are eclipsing his great accomplishments like being the first to do 1k or having the record raw bench.

wow nothing exceptional about that video.. nothing motivational either.

you get recognized and remembered for the lifts you MAKE in this sport..not what you miss. Why not chop away at it like travis said? Even I could dump 1100lbs on me just as nicely. Scott can still put it together if he wanted to but that's for sure not the way to do it.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!