Thread: Example diets

Hybrid View

Example diets

Hi all

I need a diet that is 2000-2200 cal, with at least 200g of protein. Is anyone able to give me an example diet that can achieve this without too much supplementing and that's practical (e.g. not cooking chicken breasts 4 times a day). I eat the 3 main meals a day with a snack in between.

I have managed to do this at the moment with this (below), but it is costing too much with the bars on top of the shakes.

Breakfast: 2 glasses of milk, 1 protein bar
    Snack: Crackers and cottage cheese
    Lunch: 1.5 chicken luncheon with lettuce sandwhiches
    Snack: Orange, protein shake
    Dinner: 180g chicken/beef & about 3 cups of veggies, 2 glasses of milk

I bas all my eating on this template. Quantities will dictate the calories/protein:

Breakfast
    eggs
    oatmeal
    vitamin
    fish oil

Lunch
    sandwich w/ meat and cheese
    fruits

Snack
    protien drink/bar

Dinner
    lean meats
    vegatables

Dessert
    cottage cheese
    nuts
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've had similar diets to that in the past, but oatmeal is a little too high in carbs (I'm trying to keep them down a bit to see if I can loose more fat), and nuts have too much calories. So find it a bit hard to get the numbers I like with that diet

So you're looking for someone to do the work for you? Nice.

If you know what you need, sit down at FitDay and start plugging stuff in until you hit your target macros. If you don't like what he put up above, add and remove things until you do.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I'm not looking for anyone to do the work for me, I was more looking for people to post what they eat if they eat similar amounts of calories and I'd look into that.

I've spent hours on fitday putting in different foods, but the only possibly way of doing it practically is using suppliments. I can afford one shake a day (26g of protein) which doesn't end up being enough.

If no one else has any input guess I will just bite the bullet and buy twice as much protein powder

It's going to be hard to find a food with the exact same makeup as your protein bars. You could try lean meats, eggs, or maybe mixing some powdered milk into your liquid milk.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    I've spent hours on fitday putting in different foods, but the only possibly way of doing it practically is using suppliments. I can afford one shake a day (26g of protein) which doesn't end up being enough.
    If by "doing it practically", you mean "not spending time to prepare food", then you're right. Or you can take an hour one day and grill/bake/fry/whatever a whole bunch of chicken or pork or beef or fish and have a bunch of stuff ready to go.

You're thinking in a very narrow scope. There is always a way to get things done if you want to do it badly enough. Since you have to ask this question, there's not a chance you're far enough along in your progress that you have to micromanage to the point you seem to be looking for where you want precise amounts of all your macros with no deviation.

Figure out the protein first, then the fat, then fill in with carbs. Seriously, you're making this all way harder than it has to be.

Thanks all

The reason I'm managing macros now is because I've always had way too much fat and restricting calories I was never able to loose much. So starting looking into carbs/fat/protein and since loosing some carbs I've actually managed to loose a slightly noticable amount.

I'm just going to ditch the protein bar as they're too expensive and have an extra shake a day which still costs but not as much as the bars. And will add two eggs also

I cook chicken once maybe twice a week. Just grill or bake up 6-7 breast and throw them in the fridge and eat as needed.
    Nick V

Banned
    To high in carbs? The intake for carbs for an athlete is 180g a day to maintain optimum performance...

In addition, nothing beats real food vs shakes and protein bars. These supplements are not fda approved and the claims to be anabolic are also not fda approved. Drop the shake and substitute for a fruit smoothy with a handfull of almonds. There 50% fat, mostly mono and poly unsaturated and will give you the same cals asa protein shake minus the unnatrual drugs in them

Quote Originally Posted by New2IRON View Post
    To high in carbs? The intake for carbs for an athlete is 180g a day to maintain optimum performance...

In addition, nothing beats real food vs shakes and protein bars. These supplements are not fda approved and the claims to be anabolic are also not fda approved. Drop the shake and substitute for a fruit smoothy with a handfull of almonds. There 50% fat, mostly mono and poly unsaturated and will give you the same cals asa protein shake minus the unnatrual drugs in them
    Where do you keep getting this stuff? By saying that "the intake for carbs for an athlete is 180g a day to maintain optimum performance", you're suggesting that a 90lb female sprinter and a 350lb strongman have exactly the same nutritional requirements.

My bet is that you've taken one class on nutrition and are therefore an expert on the subject.

Banned
    ^^RDA, yes thats all im going on but its a good basis unless you have other nutritional needs due to sicknesses and deficiencys

RDA is garbage based on a mythical person. The RDA suggests that everyone has the same nutritional requirements when that is clearly an impossibility.

Keep the carbs at breakfast. They're there for muscle preservation and to set your insulin sensitivity for the day. They're also low GI and, since its at the very beginning of the day, won't adversely affect your weight. If you want to restrict carbs, set a time to cut them off but keep breakfast for carbs and protein.

If you are going to skip carbs at breakfast then you might as well go the whole day without. I would not recommend that unless its an off day in which you have no lifting or cardio of any kind (read: sit on your ass all day). The Keto diet basically cuts carbs out of the diet entirely.

Why don't you give us an example of your normal diet and we can critique it, etc.

eggwhites and oats

turkey breast
    nuts raw (measure them out to count calories)or natural PB
    green vege

Tuna fish, olive oil, small salad

lean steak, sweet potato

shake after weight training with a low fat carb

prior to bed- cottage cheese, tbsp natural PB, scoop whey

you can swap foods out so you're not eating the same crap everyday
    Example- 1/2 avacado is a healthy fat @ about 150 calories so you could swap it for olive oil or raw nuts of equal calories
    The same with fruits- apple or orange
    Lean meats- top round steak, tuna, salmon, turkey breast ect...............

Hope this helps!