Thread: How much is too much?

How much is too much?

How much is too much exertion before it turns negative on your body IE: cortisol? I've been throwing in some 3 hour workouts and pounding pretty hard, but i'm kinda concerned of hearing that lengthy workouts can produce cortisol in your body to kill the pain of prolonged work. When I workout do switch it up for the 3 hours something like this.
    30 minutes of heavy bag kicks
    10 min jump rope
    2 hours of weights
    20 min basketball or soccer

Should I be splitting these 3 hours up 1-1-1? I'm already guessing some of you have been doing this. My other guess would be that it would be more benificial for my metabolism spiking it in a split rather than all at once.
    -deltoids anonomous

What is going on duing your 2-hour weight sessions? What are your goals?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    I am a firm believer that your body will tell you it is too much, my your avatar pic you seem a pretty fit fellow and by doing this routine regular you must be fit.

The only suggestion i have is to do your 2 hour weights session but up the intensite, by doing all the other exercise you are bound to drain your strength in the weights sessions and on other days just do cardio and no weights?

Just my 2ps worth, i will be interested to know what others say on this thread!

:-)

personally, id do the kicks and jump rope on 1 day, weights another, and the basketball or soccer on another day

Dang! I get tired just walking for three hours
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    What is going on duing your 2-hour weight sessions? What are your goals?
    basically my goals are just to get strong. I have been doing the starting strength program for the last 3 months to build up my 3 major lifts again (bp, dl, squat). Within a month I am going to phase out to the Strength Cross Fit Program. I usually do
    6 sets of squats, 4 sets of bench, 4 sets of Press, 4 sets of Pullups day1
    4 sets of front squats, 4 sets of bench, 2 sets of deadlift, 2 sets of dips 3 sets of weighted Pullups day2

Every Tues Thurs and Sund
    -deltoids anonomous

Supposedly vitamin C helps lower cortisol... you can google for the connection. You could take 1000 mg a day if it doesn't hurt your stomach... it's water soluble and wouldn't hurt, anyway...

If your goal is to get strong, then why are you doing an hour worth of cardio evry workout?

Why is cortisol such a concern? Did you read something about it recently? Did your doctor say it should be a concern for you?

It takes you two hours to complete 15 sets?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    It takes you two hours to complete 15 sets?
    4 sets 30 minutes a set. i could see that with squats and bench
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

yes it takes a while, we have 4 people doing the same routine and it also calls for 5-7 minutes rest.

Thanks for that vitamin C tip

I'm concerned about cortisol b/c I have a large extensive history of heart failure in my family, and I'm doing whatever I can to prevent this
    -deltoids anonomous

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    If your goal is to get strong, then why are you doing an hour worth of cardio evry workout?

Why is cortisol such a concern? Did you read something about it recently? Did your doctor say it should be a concern for you?
    Well actually, I lied. I am trying to get functional strength. So I would like to convert most of the strength to real life dynamics. I dont just want to be strong, I would like to be functional at the same time.
    -deltoids anonomous

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    yes it takes a while, we have 4 people doing the same routine and it also calls for 5-7 minutes rest.
    Okay...That makes more sense.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by aormz View Post
    Well actually, I lied. I am trying to get functional strength. So I would like to convert most of the strength to real life dynamics. I dont just want to be strong, I would like to be functional at the same time.
    Functional at what? What real life situations are you wanting to apply your strength to? Having "functional" strength doesn't really mean anything until you put it into context.
    The best way to go about this is to get stronger at the big lifts (SQ, DL, BP, military press, rows/chins) and then practice whatever skill you want to apply the strength to. You are doing way too much other activity to optimize strength gain. You don't have to drop all the other stuff, but you do have to prioritize one area and just do maintenance work for everything else.

If you're really concerned about your cortisol level, just go to the doctor and get it checked regularly. It's the only way to know for sure. But I have a feeling you will not have any problems.