Thread: False grip benching?

False grip benching?

Just a question, how many of you guys bench false grip?

I've heard a lot of pros and cons on both sides of the fence...

I personally do both... I know it sounds crazy but I feel more powerful with the "suicide" grip when I'm RAW. However shirted I grip the bar due to touching lower.

Thx. for the input/ opinions
    RC

I use a false grip on both raw and equuipped. I have tried to change and cannot. It has never caused me any problems.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Vin,

Yeah, I noticed that in your 605 video! It just seems like it less stress on my shoulders and pecs when I'm raw... I think most guys are scared they'll dump the bar or something but I never had that problem...

I'm waiting to hear from bench8,travis, chris, and the rest of you big bench guys (BTW, usapl makes me grip the bar but I still train thumbless most the time)

I use to bench with a suicide grip but now I wrap my thumb around. I don't think I would feel comfortable benching suicide now. IMO, I do think that if you have to compete with your thumbs wrapped then maybe train that way.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I've always wrapped my thumbs around the bar. Seen a couple of crashes in meets where guys didn't wrap and lost the weight out of their hands (hurts me just thinking about it.) I also lost part of my left hand in a car crash years ago so now I have to use everything I've got to be able to continue to lift.

I know Ryan Celli benches with suicide grip in addition to Vin. Can't argue with either of their results LOL

I bench with regular grip. I can't squeeze the bar like I need to when I use false grip. When I take a weight out, I grip the bar very hard and it really helps me tighten up my upper back

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    I know this is going to sound ironic, but I always used a false grip until I attended Vinny's bench seminar. I came out of there with a wider, thumbs under grip and really squeezing the bar. That afternoon with Vinny and crew was the best thing that ever happened to my bench in the last 5 years.
    Last edited by PDR; 09-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    - Press On !

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I know this is going to sound ironic, but I always used a false grip until I attended Vinny's bench seminar. I came out of there with a wider, thumbs under grip and really squeezing the bar. That afternoon with Vinny and crew was the best thing that ever happened to my bench in the last 5 years.
    I'm so glad it worked out well for you. Yeah, I like to teach do as I say not as I do. I think I get away with a few things others may not as a result of my time in the sport.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 09-04-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

My opinion of it is either can be used. There are pros and cons for each...

False grip allows a lifter to turn his elbows in more. If you grip the bar in a false grip, it naturally will turn your elbows in more. This is good for equipped benching.

Some have said that false grip allows the bar to fall out too easy. I dont agree with this, as if a bar is gonna fall out, it doesnt matter if your thumb is there or not. Your thumb isnt gonna stop 400, 500, or 600+ pounds. Trust me, I have dropped 700+ before and my thumb wrapped didnt help stop it lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    My opinion of it is either can be used. There are pros and cons for each...

False grip allows a lifter to turn his elbows in more. If you grip the bar in a false grip, it naturally will turn your elbows in more. This is good for equipped benching.

Some have said that false grip allows the bar to fall out too easy. I dont agree with this, as if a bar is gonna fall out, it doesnt matter if your thumb is there or not. Your thumb isnt gonna stop 400, 500, or 600+ pounds. Trust me, I have dropped 700+ before and my thumb wrapped didnt help stop it lol
    Aw hell- I remember you doing that at the gym once. What was that? Like 4 or 5 plates and an obscene amount of band tension?
    Last edited by Zak Freiwald; 09-05-2009 at 02:02 PM.

yeah, something like that....that band tension pulling the bar down harder sucked, good thing I had a brd there to take some steam off lol

I have actually dropped the bar a few times throughout my lifting. It always comes from my wrist going past straight. Dont know why it happens, but all I know is my thumb didnt do **** to stop it...in fact it prolly hurt me worse cause it bent my thumb to my wrist lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Thanks for the input guys... I've never dropped a bar doing false grip bench.

I guess I'm lucky, plus I have fairly big hands and use a lot of chalk!
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    yeah, something like that....that band tension pulling the bar down harder sucked, good thing I had a brd there to take some steam off lol

I have actually dropped the bar a few times throughout my lifting. It always comes from my wrist going past straight. Dont know why it happens, but all I know is my thumb didnt do **** to stop it...in fact it prolly hurt me worse cause it bent my thumb to my wrist lol

I used a false grip for years and years, i switched because when i was using lots of band tension with not a lot of weight it would almost jerk out of my hand taking the weight out. but i didnt have good spotters.i still find myself wanting to go back to it, but it feels weird now and my wrists hurt more,