Thread: Bulking with calisthenics? (Push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.)?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bulking with calisthenics? (Push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.)?

My gym membership ran out today and I have a couple more weeks until I head off to college. Can I maintain my gains in muscle mass and possibly bulk a bit doing calisthenics such as push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, etc?

I would rotate to different muscle groups every day. Also will calisthenics give me a leaner look?

What about getting one week trials at different gyms until you go away?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    What about getting one week trials at different gyms until you go away?
    Lots of Gyms near me do the same.

Wannabebig Member
    What gyms offer this? I'm no sure which big chain gyms I live around because I went to a ymca type deal

Banned
    I was wondering the same honestly

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevs View Post
    My gym membership ran out today and I have a couple more weeks until I head off to college. Can I maintain my gains in muscle mass and possibly bulk a bit doing calisthenics such as push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, etc?

I would rotate to different muscle groups every day. Also will calisthenics give me a leaner look?
    You won't gain any size in two weeks doing calisthenics, you need heavy weights and time under tension to gain size.

Diet will give you a leaner look not exersize choice.

Go to any gym, and say your interested in joining, and they will most likely give you a free 1 week trial. If not, try getting a sandbag and do squats, overhead press, deadlifts...etc.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Why noy pay the YMCA for one more month??

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
    Why noy pay the YMCA for one more month??
    Well it wasn't actually a YMCA, but it was similar, and I would have to get a full year membership to continue, which would be a waste considering I'm going away for college.

I'm going to start a 1 week membership at Gold's today, then Bally the next week. However, they do state I need to be 18 to qualify, and I have another month until I turn 18. So there's a problem.

Anyway, calisthenics will at least allow me to keep my muscle mass, correct?

Well it wasn't actually a YMCA, but it was similar, and I would have to get a full year membership to continue, which would be a waste considering I'm going away for college.

I'm going to start a 1 week membership at Gold's today, then Bally the next week. However, they do state I need to be 18 to qualify, and I have another month until I turn 18. So there's a problem.

Anyway, calisthenics will at least allow me to keep my muscle mass, correct?
    go push cars around and look for big rocks and when you find them lift them if you can't lift them push them. if you see some fallen trees pick them up. if you see a bully go kick his ass, im sure the adrenaline and test released from a quality fight will maintain muscle mass. You don't really need to do exercise as you see it in the gym to maintain muscle, you just need to use your muscles in a forceful fashion. I woud look up strongman type lifts and adapt them to what you have. Just think outside the box. Go run hugging a 50 lbs bag of dog food. Then run up hills with your bag of dog food and when people laugh, punch them and tell them dog food is the only thing that keeps the mass on.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Then run up hills with your bag of dog food and when people laugh, punch them and tell them dog food is the only thing that keeps the mass on.
    I allmost squirted shake outta my nose!!1!!
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Banned

Find anything heavy and lift, drag, push, pull, flip, squat, press it. Old refrigerators, washing machines, rocks, lumber, wheelbarrows loaded with stones/dirt all work well.

Have you taken a deload at all lately? Perhaps one week could serve as a deload.

Wannabebig Member
    Then what's the point of doing pushups/pullups? If I do them it's not like I'm going to lose muscle mass, correct?

if you're already good at pushups etc then doing them is just another form of cardio which will not necessarily help you keep on muscle mass. If you're already big you aren't going to suddenly defleat a lot in a few weeks.

listen to everyone and go find something, anything, big and heavy to move around.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peatr99 View Post
    if you're already good at pushups etc then doing them is just another form of cardio which will not necessarily help you keep on muscle mass. If you're already big you aren't going to suddenly defleat a lot in a few weeks.

listen to everyone and go find something, anything, big and heavy to move around.
    Won't have to worry about that because I got two free 1 week memberships at gold's and bally total fitness, if bally will take me. (I'm only 17)

I know the military does tremendous amounts of calisthenic workouts and the guys look pretty big once they get out of boot camp, so it seems as if they are gaining muscle mass with calisthenics alone, which seems to contradict everything people are telling me.

I have seen guys "bulk" doing CrossFit. I think as long as you work a muscle to exhaustion your good to go. Think about it, if you do an exercise for a lot of reps if you go till failure the last 5 reps will be a similar stimulas to lifting heavy for 5 reps. You faset twitch muscle fibers are forced activate weather you know it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    do an exercise for a lot of reps if you go till failure the last 5 reps will be a similar stimulas to lifting heavy for 5 reps.
    Wrong. There are other factors that will cause you to fail long before you reach the same stimulus as 5 rep work.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wrong. There are other factors that will cause you to fail long before you reach the same stimulus as 5 rep work.
    Factor's such as?

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    Factor's such as?
    Energy?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Energy?
    So you are saying you will run out of energy long before you can press a muscle to failure? Sorry I do not buy it. I can do bodyweight pulls ups for about 18 reps, I'm certain the last 4 reps are very similar to doing 5 pull ups w/ a weight between my legs. What do you think happens at rep 12 I'l' get tired and have to stop?

There is a difference between doing aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Very few lifters are going to be efficient enough at something like pull ups or push ups(push ups maybe but you can compensate by adding weight on you back), for it to be considered aerobic, meaning if you push till failure the stimulas is similar to lifting heavy(anaerobic).

For proof just ask the folks who do crossfit. I mean your not going to get jacked as if you lift heavy but I have personally met guys put on lean mass using just bodyweight and lots of it.

Actually, just increasing kcals and gaining weight will increase muscle mass. Heavy lifting only increases the ratio of LBM to fat ratio per pound gained. Weight those pullups and pushups and youll be fine until you get to college.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    New Question: If I don't get enough sleep a night after working out, is it going to hurt muscle development?