Thread: The Mindset Behind a Great Bench Press by Vincent Dizenzo

The Mindset Behind a Great Bench Press by Vincent Dizenzo

Hey all,

We're getting some very good content going into the Wannabebig Serious About Muscle newsletter that goes out every two weeks.

Issue #1 contained a great article by Vincent Dizenzo which I also wanted to post here so that it wasn't missed.

The article is below, and the online version of the newsletter can be found here - http://www.wannabebig.com/newsletter/082009.html

You can also sign up for the newsletter here - http://www.wannabebig.com/wannabebig-newsletter/

The Mindset Behind a Great Bench Press by Vincent Dizenzo

What does everyone want? A bigger bench press, of course! Let’s face it, people don’t walk up to you and ask, “So what do you curl?” Everyone wants to know how much you can bench. Well, I can bench press a lot, and I am going to share some tips with you. You don’t have to change your training program; no extra meals or supplements will be necessary. You just need to use your head.

When I perform the bench press, I go through a mental inventory. If I miss a lift, it’s rarely because I was not strong enough. It is because I had a break in my form. I use this mental inventory to minimize the chances of that happening.

Upon lying on the bench, I grab the bar and drive my shoulders back into the bench pad. The tighter and more uncomfortable I can feel with this, the better. Then I start with my feet. I lift my big toes up in my shoes. I force my knees out, squeeze my glutes, and push up on my hips. I want my posterior chain to be as tight as it can be to assist in the press. Yes, your legs assist in the bench press! The more you learn how to use them, the more you will be able to press.

Moving into the upper body, I arch my low back and push up on my stomach as much as possible. This reduces the range of motion for the press. Then I tighten my lats, squeeze my shoulder blades together, and roll them under into my back. I grab the rings on the bar using my index fingers and grip the bar as tightly as I can. Lastly, I turn my elbows in as I lower the bar. By doing this, I use my lats in the descent.

OK, now I am ready to take the weight. I count one, two…and where three would be, I inhale and take the biggest breath I can. As soon as the breath is inhaled, I extend the weight over my chest just like in a tricep extension. Notice, I did not say push the weight up. I am very tight and tucked on the bench, I do not want to lose the perfect pressing position I just fought to get into. When the weight gets over my chest, not my neck, I am ready to begin. I lower the bar in a controlled manner until it is motionless on my sternum. At that point, I harness all of my energy to explode through my heels, up through my posterior chain, into my lats, and push as hard as I can from under my elbows. As the weight rockets off my sternum, I drive the bar back over my face. When the weight gets close to lockout, I flare my elbows into a locked position. Once the bar is locked and under control, I throw it back into the rack and then finally exhale.

In competitions, this inventory has helped me achieve a 600 pound raw bench and an 800 pound equipped bench. Now, not everyone wants to compete in powerlifting, but if you’re in the gym, chances are you want a bigger bench. Start using a mental inventory with your bench and you will start achieving greater results. Your inventory does not have to be as elaborate as mine. Start with a few tips and master them. You’ll perfect things as you go along.

This is lifting with your head.

Last edited by Joe Black; 09-01-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    This is good information, I've read a million BP articles, but the simplicity of the progression description and the descent tips has me wanting to leave work and go tweak my form right now.

Short and sweet, just like Vincent.

Great article!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Great article Vincent.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Short and sweet, just like Vincent.

Great article!
    haha
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Great work Vincent!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Outstanding!!! Simple and straightforward... Benching is a big mental lift. I distinctly remember getting 1-2-3 plates, now I'm very close to the 4th plate. Feeling confident is very important.

Thanks for a great article.

RC

awesome article! nice job vin

and you've also got this uncanny resemblence to my brother's pitbull juicy LOL
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!