Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All good benchers I need your opinion...

All good benchers I need your opinion...

Is this legit? If so, he is one of the strongest raw lifters in the world relative to body weight and especially considering he doesn't have a clue what he is doing:

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The 550 did look pretty legit, I'll give him that.

He's really risking a lower back injury by moving his hips all around like that while benching, but yeah, that looked legit.

No way in the world he'll bench 50lbs more in one week LOL

His "feel" sets aren't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, but he'd have better luck with board and band training.

Still though, a 550 bench at 12% bf is very very impressive.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    The 550 did look pretty legit, I'll give him that.

He's really risking a lower back injury by moving his hips all around like that while benching, but yeah, that looked legit.

No way in the world he'll bench 50lbs more in one week LOL

His "feel" sets aren't the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, but he'd have better luck with board and band training.

Still though, a 550 bench at 12% bf is very very impressive.
    though, if he is on the special juice would 50 lbs be reasonable?
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    though, if he is on the special juice would 50 lbs be reasonable?
    That would have to be really really special.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Habingus
    I think the 550 is legit, I just think the guy is ******ed...luckily for him his chemist is not.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Banned
    except all those people watching are now gonna start throwing their feet all over lol.

It didn't look as easy as he says it was, but it looked legit. What's his name?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Yeah that was by no means easy lawl.

Still, how the hell someone gets that strong with having no idea what he's doing both dazzles and depresses me lawl.

And at 205 lbs, that guy must be mega short.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    except all those people watching are now gonna start throwing their feet all over lol.
    If they watch Dave Hoff they are going to start putting truck bumpers and other large obejects under their shirts. Next time I bench I want a Honda Civic on my chest!
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    If they watch Dave Hoff they are going to start putting truck bumpers and other large obejects under their shirts. Next time I bench I want a Honda Civic on my chest!
    I dont, or I wouldnt be able to breath, I think I'll just take a 3 board under my singlet like Hoff did.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    I dont, or I wouldnt be able to breath, I think I'll just take a 3 board under my singlet like Hoff did.
    haha. and the hating carries over to a new thread. hahahahahahah.

Banned
    haha. it has to..... from now one anyone cheating or doing something suspicious will be labeled as a "Hoffster"

Yeah, let's stop with that crap. Keep it to the thread. Wbb isn't going to become PlWatch or other sites with a continuous bunch of whining bitches who get a forum.

I agree with Travis. The 550, although not easy; was impressive at that weight and bodyfat level. But if he can add 50 lbs. to it in a week, I want some of that juice too! I've never even heard rumors of anything adding 50 lbs. to a raw bench in a week!...unless he pulls out a shirt next week! LOL! If he's coachable, and had someone knowledgable to work with him; he could obviously be phenominal!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Still, how the hell someone gets that strong with having no idea what he's doing both dazzles and depresses me lawl.
    Seriously. I'm sure he works real hard but that's a gift to be that strong with so little form. I have to wonder what kind of training he's cooked up--it probably would have left me injured 10x over if its anything like his form.

Maybe they can copy his shoulders and paste them on my body...In the meantime, back to the gym.

Jesus, what is he, like 4'10" @205? Geez
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

looks strong as hell to me. Why do you say that its obvious he doesn't know what he is doing? Its obvious to me that he knows exactly what works for him. Speed benching, bands, chains, and boards aren't the only training methods that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roark View Post
    looks strong as hell to me. Why do you say that its obvious he doesn't know what he is doing? Its obvious to me that he knows exactly what works for him. Speed benching, bands, chains, and boards aren't the only training methods that work.

No, it was his form, the having 3 guys lift a weight for him he cannot, and so on that makes me say he has no clue.

Those feel sets are pointless and more abusive to his CNS than is near necessary.

He's not training his lockout either, which is where he's struggling.

Flopping his hips around like that is a really poor choice

As far as strength training goes, he's certainly not doing nearly as much as he could to get a 600lb bench.

Boards would achieve the same thing as his feel sets, with the added benefit of actually training a given range of motion. Bands will add to this benefit. I didn't mention speed benching or chains

Those feel sets are pointless and more abusive to his CNS than is near necessary.

As far as strength training goes, he's certainly not doing nearly as much as he could to get a 600lb bench.

Boards would achieve the same thing as his feel sets, with the added benefit of actually training a given range of motion. Bands will add to this benefit. I didn't mention speed benching or chains

Travis,
    How is feel sets any more abusive to his CNS than boards, reverse bands or lock outs from pins? How do you detrmine that? Its all overload, and he obviously is getting what he needs. Also, I am sure it wouldn't take much to bring his lockout along. But yeah, I do agree with the basic stuff like keeping a stable position and stuff like that, its obviously asking to get hurt.

did I say you mentioned speed or chains? I am the one that mentioned them.

Travis,
    How is feel sets any more abusive to his CNS than boards, reverse bands or lock outs from pins? How do you detrmine that? Its all overload, and he obviously is getting what he needs. Also, I am sure it wouldn't take much to bring his lockout along. But yeah, I do agree with the basic stuff like keeping a stable position and stuff like that, its obviously asking to get hurt.

I think the kid is simply a genetic freak on the bench. The point, which I think you are missing, is that if he trained in a more strength focused fashion, he could progress more quickly and reach greater heights.

Usain Bolt would be a very fast guy, perhaps even world class with improper training, but with the right training etc. he is the very best in the world by a significant margin. When good heredity meets a good work ethic and proper training the sky is the limit.

I was going to say the exact same things. The "feel" sets to overload the CNS and joints could be accomplished more efficiently by using bands and/or high boards.

He's basically doing a crappy board press when he's doing those half reps or whatever

I'd love to see this guy train smart for a year and see where his bench is, the video was impressive.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Travis,

How do you measure how much it takes to bring his lockout along?

His "feel" sets are more abusive than necessary is what I wrote.

He's stressing his system out with holding way over what he's near capable of benching. How do I determine that? I've held weights that heavy and much heavier so I know what it does to your body and I'm saying he's needlessly going way heavier than what he needs to.

Overload isn't all the same. Now if someone is benching 1000lbs it's a little different. To get the same effect, you're going to need to use a lot more weight.

However, I feel that static holds are a waste of time anyways, which is essentially what his "feel" sets are. Either move the weight or don't

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think the kid is simply a genetic freak on the bench. The point, which I think you are missing, is that if he trained in a more strength focused fashion, he could progress more quickly and reach greater heights.

Usain Bolt would be a very fast guy, perhaps even world class with improper training, but with the right training etc. he is the very best in the world by a significant margin. When good heredity meets a good work ethic and proper training the sky is the limit.
    I agree Chris, but everything does not have to be westside to work. He is obviously doing something right, as ugly as it may appear.

I agree Chris, but everything does not have to be westside to work. He is obviously doing something right, as ugly as it may appear.
    Westside was not mentioned in this thread

I'm sure every lifter at Westside would attest to its not the only training method that works, guys from other gyms hold world records too

They also use bands and boards
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com