The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26

    My Caliper Readings Don't Make Sense

    Hi,

    I bought some calipers and measured 1" above the tip of my right hip bone as indicated. The result was 6mm, and according to the table that came with the calipers, that means my body fat is around 7-8%. I can assure you that isn't the case! I am 6'2" and 180lbs currently. Any idea what is going wrong?

    Cheers

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    That's 6'2", 180lbs, and not very muscly by the way. Obviously I could be 6.5% and ripped at that weight and height!

  4. #3
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,475
    Measure at 3 points (quad, chest, abs) then average it and come back.

    Post pictures if you aren't sure.
    Sarvamangalam!

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    If you're trying to measure yourself you're not going to get very accurate measures. It also takes significant training and practice to get accurate and repeatable measures. Skinfolds are only good when taken by the a trained person.
    For self-assessment I just do pictures and perhaps circumference measures.

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Pic attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #6
    Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,000
    That looks like it could be 8% body fat. Thing is, there isn't much LBM either. The phrase skin and bones comes to mind.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    362
    Dude - What does it matter? Is it so you can boast to your friends that you have no bodyfat. If you had some muscle then maybe that would be valid. You need to eat more and lift heavy. Who gives a **** about bodyfat when you are that skinny.

    BTW - Love the skinny pants...

  9. #8
    squat rack curler platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    482
    he's asking a question about how to correctly use his calipers, not how to get bigger. you can't just come into every thread with the answer "eat more and lift heavy."
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

    You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

  10. #9
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    That looks like it could be 8% body fat. Thing is, there isn't much LBM either. The phrase skin and bones comes to mind.
    I agee. I normally add 2-3% on to the caliper reading for human error.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thanks for those of you who posted useful comments.

    Trying to get a handle on getting accurate body fat % readings is rather key at any stage, whether it be cutting (checking to see that your BF% is going down rather than your lean body mass) or bulking (checking to see that you are not piling on too much fat rather than lean body mass).

    There are plenty of people on this forum who are too quick to jump on people and start hammering "EAT BIG, LIFT HEAVY" into their heads. I'm fully aware of the process, have done plenty of reading and yet am still open minded and willing to learn new things. I won't be learning new things from the ignorant people who seem to be here solely to put a newbie down.

    Thanks again to the helpful guys!

  12. #11
    Big Swinging Dick dxiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    370
    one another thing to mention is that when you measure yourself you often don't take big enough skinfolds. I only learned this after being measured professionally. You literally have grab and push hard and get all that jizzle fat into the skinfold, then measure. Your picture looks to be around 8-12% bodyfat (hard to tell because of how skinny you are). You have a good lean base to work on, now start eating like a horse and fill it in.

    225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    one another thing to mention is that when you measure yourself you often don't take big enough skinfolds. I only learned this after being measured professionally. You literally have grab and push hard and get all that jizzle fat into the skinfold, then measure. Your picture looks to be around 8-12% bodyfat (hard to tell because of how skinny you are). You have a good lean base to work on, now start eating like a horse and fill it in.
    Thanks, I plan to! Looking to begin Starting Strength next week (after a little bit of tuition on half decent form and instructions on how to use a power rack...). I've read the recent article on here with regards to "eating as if..." and I'll be at around 3,200 cals per day (initially aiming for 200lbs) with around 40% protein. I think getting in the protein will be the hardest thing - I can eat 3,200 calories without breaking a sweat, but doing it without the carbfest is another matter altogether!

  14. #13
    Undead Evil He-Man KarlMarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerer View Post
    Thanks, I plan to! Looking to begin Starting Strength next week (after a little bit of tuition on half decent form and instructions on how to use a power rack...). I've read the recent article on here with regards to "eating as if..." and I'll be at around 3,200 cals per day (initially aiming for 200lbs) with around 40% protein. I think getting in the protein will be the hardest thing - I can eat 3,200 calories without breaking a sweat, but doing it without the carbfest is another matter altogether!
    Obviously protein powder can make it a lot easier. My wife was recently complaining about our 'protein powder budget' and I just reminded her how much it would cost to buy 150g extra of protein of food each day... Point being, time to make your own protein powder budget!

  15. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Obviously protein powder can make it a lot easier. My wife was recently complaining about our 'protein powder budget' and I just reminded her how much it would cost to buy 150g extra of protein of food each day... Point being, time to make your own protein powder budget!
    I'm still trying to accept the concept of consuming calories in powder form...I really like my food, so to the idea of wasting calories on powder upsets me deeply!

Similar Threads

  1. Do fats in your post w/o shake make any sense?
    By Behemoth in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2002, 01:06 PM
  2. does it make sense
    By cwny69 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2002, 10:54 AM
  3. Does this make sense?
    By Herc in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2001, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •