The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Fighting Genetics & Effects of Long-term Bodybuilding

I'm 22 years old and have been working out for the past 15 months (I did take three different months off in that stretch). When I started I was 5'7 138 lbs. I'm now 157 lbs, all of the weight gain being lean musclemass. Lately I've noticed I've hit a plateau in many of my exercises and due to a few posts I've read the past couple weeks, I have this question for any experienced lifters, especially any that may follow in the 'ectomorph' category (or the more slender framed builders)....

- I measured my arms last night with my gf's help, and they measure just over 15' 'cold', however my forearms only measured 11 inches. I believe this size difference gives the impression that my arms are even bigger than they actually are. I read a post where someone said a 4 inch difference between forearms and upper arms is ridiculous, if not unbelievable. My forearm's small size isn't due to lack of work, but to very, and I mean very slight wrists and bone structure. Due to the already 'large' difference between my forearms and upper arms I'm beginning to wonder if its possible to put much more size on my upper arms, or am I reaching the limit of my genetic potential? (note: My arms are a fair size compared to the rest of my upper body)

- My chiropractor had a long talk to me after an appointment today. He hadn't seen me in a year and was very startled at the amount of muscle I had put on. He then lectured me on various bodybuilders that he had treated over the years. He claimed virtually all the competitive Bbers and Powerlifters that he had treated had various joint and muscle problems due to stress, 'imbalance', and the use of unnatural movements for heavy lifting. He also treats a large number of bodybuilders who are now 'older' and are suffering from these chronic problems caused by heavy lifting. He claimed for these 'health' reasons, sets with higher repititions are better for the body. Any comments?

I'm very happy with the progress I have made in the last year, and due to my slender frame the muscle I have added is far more pronounced than it would be on a more stocky/bigger frame. The problem is, I'd still like to add about 10 more pounds of muscle before I reach my 'ideal' bodyshape. My chiropractor thinks that it may be pushing it for my body type, and I'm beginning to agree due to a plateau in some of my lifts that has lasted several months. I lifting three times a week, and when I do, its intense. I've tried mixing things up a bit, different exercises and in different orders. Still barely any change. Am I fighting a losing battle against genetics?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Train your joints to be healthy and you won't have any problems with them.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yea right, a lot of really skinny weaklings like to bring down people who train and work hard, and say things liek, o you shouldn't do that cause im a big pussy and neevr could, ignore them
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I seriously doubt that he was saying those things about treating his older clientel just because he was jealous of your current stature. Realize that he is a health care professional who is more knowledgable about human biomechanics than 99.9% of the people on this board. If you feel he is truly biased out of jealously, get a second opinion from a sports medicine doc.

Take some of what he says to heart because a joint problem is something that almost never totally goes away. Back when I played soccer (about 15 years ago), I had a guy toe kicked me right under my ancle (kind of inbetween the achilles tendon). I was carried off the field, and iced it for the rest of the day. The next day I was fine. Ever since that incident, I've had random days when that same injury that will randomly arise, making it hard to walk properly, and I'll have to limp. I also have a reoccuring rotator cuff injury that I've now nailed down to being caused by incline barbell benching. I now went to dumbells, problem contained, however, it will never be solved.

At any rate, remember it is YOUR body, and ultimately your decision. When it comes to advice regarding my personal health, I'm very leary of whom I will accept advice from. Musscle mags don't make money telling you about the various ailments the cover models suffer from.

true, but i think you should separate between naturals and roiders and plers and bbers.

I don't think you have reached your max in 15 months... keep up with the good work and you'll get over that plateau.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Originally posted by Reinier
    true, but i think you should separate between naturals and roiders and plers and bbers.
    Very good point. I was going to hit on that point, but I didn't want my post to turn into a novel.

In the eyes of your chiro, you were once smaller, and the next time he sees you, you've put on a significant amount of mass. Keep in mind that all he really sees are injuries if he himself doesn't workout.

If you were a garage mechanic and fixed all kinds of cars, yet saw that 80% of the vehicles that came through your shop were Fords, what kind of conclusion would you make about Fords if you yourself did not drive one and know it to be not THAT bad of a car?

I think that a lot of the joint problems are more common with steroid users. The reason being that muscle already grows much faster than tendons and ligaments. Just because your muscles can lift it, doesn't necissarily mean that your joints are up to the task. Personally, I like to take a month off every 4 - 6 months. Also make sure that you are always completely hydrated. The less water surrounding a joint, the more stress and pain involved.

A month? Damn.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You should slap his ignorant ass for not knowing wtf he is talking about. Ask him how many competetive sports players he treats as well. Bodybuilding has a much lower injury rate than pretty much all other sports, and lifting strengthens bones and joints. But I guess we should all stop and be like all the other old sedentary people that bump into the coffee table and break their hips because their bones are so brittle.

High reps and light weight will do very little for overall bone density growth and skeletal strength.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The twinkie-harvester is right.

chronic overtrainer
    under the bar or over the bar during the week, at the bar on weekends
    Question Wha would you do if stopped lifting? Would you sit on your duff and eat crispy cremes? I don' think that would be any improvement over bbing. I suggest you stick with wha you enjoy and what makes you feel healthy. Listen to your body, it knows what's best.
    Cortisol is the enemy.

Remember, it is not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game.

I am almost 32 years old and have been lifting heavy for over 14 years. If you train heavy, joint problems will be an issue when you are older. Of course, joint problems are common for nearly all older people even if they don't lift, but years of heavy lifting will definitely have a deleterious effect. Any injuries you occur when you are younger will come back to haunt you in your old age, it is just a fact of life. That being said, if you continue to lift, but use stricter form (thus less resistance) as you age, you should be able to stave off these effects and maintain good health. So, in essence, your chiropractor is correct.

I think taking preventive measures while younger and continuing to do so into later years can help prevent or at least sharply lessen the majority of injuries.

For example, I do a lot of work for my shoulders, knees, lower back, etc, some of which is in my journal. I feel that by stretching and strengthening those joints, I can prevent a lot of headache when I get older.

Maybe you could try a "cycling" workout like HST. This allows you to lift lighter for many workouts and gives you two weeks of higher rep sets. Then, you get a week off every 8 weeks. This might be just the thing to break out of your plateaus and might also give your body a chance to rest and recuperate. Just a thought.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Just be very sure that you are using good form and then you don't have to worry about lifting like a pansy.

Injuries can occur so many different ways, the benefits of lifting intelligently far outweigh the cons.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by chris mason
    ...years of heavy lifting will definitely have a deleterious effect.
    My chiropractor basically said most bodybuilders (serious ones) suffered from chronic joint problems due to two main reasons:

1) Like Chris Mason said, heavy lifting taking its toll on the joints and body over time. He considered 'heavy lifting' to be anywhere from 3 to 7 reps. He highly recommended higher repititions, 12-15 per set, in order to reduce strain on the joints.

2) Overtraining of the chest and shoulders. He claimed that by overtraining the pecs, shoulders, and lats, and undertraining the rhomboids, bodybuilders are setting themselves up for future problems. This uneven training causes the scapula to be pulled forward which results in rotator cuff and shoulder joint problems.. He essentially claimed that poor symmetry was the main cause of problems for bodybuilders (he mentioned women in particular, for some reason?), especially those who overtrained their front and lats, and undertrained the middle of their back.

I think I will follow his advice and pay much more attention to keeping my inner back up to par with my chest, shoulders, and lats (something I thought I was doing until he took a look at my back and said it was still a little underdeveloped compared to my other muscles). I don't know about his high rep advice however, since I don't have much results with high rep sets for my upper body.

Current gain for future pain?

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I think taking preventive measures while younger and continuing to do so into later years can help prevent or at least sharply lessen the majority of injuries.

For example, I do a lot of work for my shoulders, knees, lower back, etc, some of which is in my journal. I feel that by stretching and strengthening those joints, I can prevent a lot of headache when I get older.
    I'm definitely going to pay FAR more attention to stretching and to training my 'core'. I know some people would get a laugh out of this, but I'm going to start doing yoga this summer. I've heard some great things about it, and I think it will help me avoid injuries, keep my body limber, and help with my martial art training.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    my uncle talked to me about little robots repairing my joints when i get older, called em nanobots.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Nanobots are also a looooooooong way off.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    really? I just looked em up, there first commercial appearance should in about 20 yrs, and since its computers, it will probably come out sooner, lol nanobots are nuts, super strong fibers, make people immortal, and super fast computers all from one invention.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    and i figure i won't have joint pain till for at least anotehr 40 years.

Well, that 20 year figure is still *highly* speculative and dependent on a few things.

And a functional nanobot application is still a far cry from an intelligent cell repair machine. I'd say plan on 50 years at a bare minimum to see that kind of thing; though, with the exponential rate of technological increase, I could be very wrong.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yeah sweet, go to this site,

www.howstuffworks.com

this sites pretty cool, no matter what your interest there's somethign for you.

its freaky how strong computers are getting.

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    I've noticed that a lot of people on this board get defensive when anything negative is said about bodybuilding (perfectly understandable since an enthusiast about anything is "vivid" about what they love).