Thread: Help with routine...please

Militant Agnostic kalashnikov83's Avatar

Help with routine...please

I have been doing high volume training lately with good gains, but it is starting to take its toll on my body. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me a routine that they have gotten good size gains on. I am worried more about size than strength. And also my chest and my calves are my lacking bodyparts at the moment.
    thanks
    I AM THE STRONGEST, I AM THE VIKING!

You migh wanna check out the WannaBeBig Routines...they are pretty good!

I think that people will be able to help you a lot more with a routine if you posted your stats..
    Last edited by Centaurion; 04-25-2002 at 02:38 PM.

Check out my journal. My routine is posted as Pics

FOR MY STATS: I am 6'2" 191 i'm guessing 10-12% bf. I have 16.5" biceps 32"waist, 43.5" chest, 15" calves.

I've been training for 6 months. And also where is the proper place to measure thigh size.

FOR MY STATS: I am 6'2" 191 i'm guessing 10-12% bf. I have 16.5" biceps 32"waist, 43.5" chest, 15" calves.
    You mean youre biceps are bigger than your calves? Is this common?
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

I don't know but my calves are tiny and I can't get them to grow.

Banned
    I think most people here will tell you that high volume won't help you hypertrophy (grow) your muscles very well. Check out the training logs section; there's a lot of folks doing high weight/low rep high intensity training, quite successfully.

If you're 6'2" and 191, youre fairly lean, I guess... after 6 months of hardcore training (are you training hardcore/intensely?) I'd think you should be able to see some wicked muscle emerging.

For myself, I've had the greatest size gains doing just that. 6-8 reps per set, 6-8 total sets per major body part, usually split across 3-4 exercises. I also can't stress enough how important getting enough food is to growing muscle... I used to eat like crap and as a result my workouts had little impact on my body shape. When i started consuming mass amounts of quality protein and keeping my body full of the nutrients and vitamins and stuff that it needed, it responded with muscle growth and strength gains.

There are much more knowledgeable folks on these boards though that can probably give you some more useful and specific advice. Dunno if what I've said helps, but at the very least it'll bump the thread again and get you more people looking at it.

Callahan

I got the diet down quite well I am actually fairly psychotic about it. Do you think you could give me the exercises you've been using.
    thanks

When i started training i did pretty high volume training. I guess i was pretty much ill informed via magazines such as flex. Thing is i was lacking in intensity, dont get me wrong I still made some pretty good gains but then, like yourself kalishnikov, they tapered off.

For myself, I've had the greatest size gains doing just that. 6-8 reps per set, 6-8 total sets per major body part, usually split across 3-4 exercises
    Could not agree more, in fact this kind of information is all over this board, and for a good reason. IT IS CORRECT INFORMATION.

Do you think you could give me the exercises you've been using.
    thanks

There is a WBB routine which you could do a lot worse then follow. But I could give you my last routine which worked pretty well.
    Monday: Squats 3-4 sets
    Leg press 3 sets
    SLDL or Leg curls 3 sets
    BB curl 3 sets (in between sets of squats, NOT supersets leave yourself sufficient rest time inbetween)
    Standing calf press 3 sets

Wednesday: Flat/incline/ Dumbell press 3 sets
    Flat/incline bench press 3 sets
    incline flies 1-2 sets
    DB shoulder press 3 sets
    seated incline lateral raises 2 sets
    Machine shoulder press 1-2 sets

Friday: Pullups/lat pulldown 3 sets
    t-bar/Bent over BB rows 3 sets
    Close grip bench press 3 sets
    rear laterals 2 sets
    DB shrugs 3 sets

Bear in mind the above is only a guideline to work from, but this basic framework has served me well for the past few months. Some may say substitute one back exercise for deadlifts, which i also did every few weeks. I have always found deadlifts to be an awkward movement for me but I do still try them.

I don't know but my calves are tiny and I can't get them to grow.

I see a lot of guys down them gym who try to get 100 reps on the calf press machine which a ROM of about 2 inches and a rep speep of about 5 rps. Make sure you get a full ROM and pause for a second at full contraction then come back down slowly. I also found that after going to failure drop the weight down by about a third and go to failure again then do this again and again until you cant take the pain or you are just using your own body weight.

There are much more knowledgeable folks on these boards though that can probably give you some more useful and specific advice
    This is very true, more knowlegable than I. But since no-one else has posted anything else I thought i would try to help. Using a routine like this I have put on about 40lbs in the last few years.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

Thanks for the info I think Ill use it as a framework and customize things here and there. I'll post how everything works out in awhile.