Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form check

It seems like your hips are rising faster than the bar.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This is what I would suggest: focus on externally rotating your hips. I have a feeling that will solve a lot of your problems. I really taught myself this cue by BW squatting a few inches in front of a wall and trying to touch the ground. The only way you can do it without eating the wall is by really rotating your hips.

The diagrams in the attached article illustrate the idea fairly well.
    http://www.cesfitness.com/assets/docs/activehip.pdf
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

A few different things jump to mind (although the tips you have received thus far are good).

I have fairly tight hips and I am using the DeFranco Agile 8 as well to help loosen them up a bit. That could be somewhat of your issue is getting back a little farther and coming forward when you are in the hole.

Also, because of the fact you are falling forward in the hole, you might be well-served by getting in some more work to strengthen your lower back (good mornings, 45 degree back raises or GHRs if you have access to a good bench).

It's nice to see you open to the critiques, though. I cannot think of how many times I have seen people in forums ask for help and then strike back at anyone who doesn't seem to think they are a super star.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    This is what I would suggest: focus on externally rotating your hips. I have a feeling that will solve a lot of your problems. I really taught myself this cue by BW squatting a few inches in front of a wall and trying to touch the ground. The only way you can do it without eating the wall is by really rotating your hips.
    This.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Jorge - I will try that eating wall thing tomorrow, in the meantime here is latest workout. The first part is with just bar, notice the first two reps is looking straight forward, the next three looking down. My lower back deteriates when I look down, should I just look straight (dumb question)

The last is the actual workout, I just can’t get down that last inch or two dammit!!! As you can see from the forward angle my knees are out wide. I'll try the wall eating thing tomorrow - is the problem flexability?
    I do the flexability routine as noted and a few stretches from Squat RX vids.

Video

I hate that whole "looking down" thing.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Nothing that hasn't already been said....

Your hips are rising faster than your chest, which I guess in a way is a good thing. Rippetoe stresses driving up with your hips, but the trick is to drive with the hips and still make sure your chest is rising at the exact same time.

I think you're bringing your knees into the equation too early. One of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you unlock your hips first, and focus somewhat on folding in half first before bending the knees, it might fix your problem. In other words, pretend there is a midget standing behind you and you're knocking it over with your ass by pushing your ass out. If you focus on keeping that arch in your lower back while you're doing that, you will have to sink with your hips first.

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Also, and maybe this is bad advice, but perhaps if you went slower using less weight it'd be easier to correct your form and give advice, instead of trying to bounce out of the hole so quickly. A more controlled rep until your form is perfect, then work on speeding it up.
    Last edited by d0rkyd00d; 09-20-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Reps 4,5,6 look pretty good to me. Any GMing is pretty mild in that set.

Wannabebig Member
    Wearing shoes now, and felt a huge difference! Fairly hard soled work shoes with a nice heel. I could easily hit below parallel this workout.
    I felt like I did well with this one, please give me your feedback. (though last rep of set 3 was above parallel)
    - My knees move around a little but not over toes, more just late getting into position, should I aim to correct this? If so, what cues should I use?
    - I think the G/mornings are fixed yes?
    - And I think I am still using hip drive, yes?
    - Also is the buttwinking enough to worry about?

Video

The perfect is the enemy of the good. These are fine. Put more weight on the bar.

Wannabebig Member
    "The perfect is the enemy of the good. These are fine. Put more weight on the bar. "

Thanks!!!
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    The perfect is the enemy of the good. These are fine. Put more weight on the bar.
    I would work on your form more before you add more weight and end up with a lower back injury like myself.

Wannabebig Member
    Groan... What points do I need to improve?

Add some weight to the bar and get stronger. If your form starts to get worse, back off on the weight or stay with the same weight for a while. You lose your lower back arch just a bit and the hips come up just a bit, so keep working on those things. Again, if you add weight and your form doesn't get any worse you're fine. I think your form is good enough for now, but keep working to perfect it.
    Make sure you stretch your hamstrings and keep working on really locking in that low back arch.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    My lower back deteriates when I look down, should I just look straight (dumb question)

[/YOUTUBE]
    As long as you shove your head/neck into the bar, it doesn't matter where you look.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys. Firstly thanks everyone for all the useful cues and tips in this thread. I am feeling a lot more confident with my squats. Below is latest workout.
    Two concerns –
    1. Is the slight forward knee movement anything to worry about?
    2. And is the buttwink too excessive?
    Any further tips or reiterations please feel free to tell me.

Also I want to summarise the cues that helped me so far, so any other newbs reading this thread can apply them.

- Shoes… Bare feet or runners just don’t cut it. Especially if you have trouble with getting depth. Get some hard soled shoes with a decent heel (I just used my work shoes for now)
    - Stretches… Agile 8. Search it on this site if you don’t know what it is. Also the stretches Rip recommend in SS. As well as Squat RX vids are worth a look.
    - Look down… Just do it, it works.
    - Imagine knocking over a midget with your butt… This imagery really helped me. If you don’t have a good imagination, purchase a midget.

Video

Squatting rocks!!!