The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Strengthening legs without getting them bulky?

Is it possible to strengthen and tone legs without getting them bulky? No offense to anyone with great quads/calves but I can't stand to see them to huge. It's probably just my personal taste. However, my issue is the fact that I'm on the shorter side and my legs are a teeny bit short. I've seen some short guys with huge legs and it's unappealing to me, they look like a cinder block.

So I'll repeat once more, Is it possible to strengthen and tone legs without getting them bulky huge? Thanks.
    Name: Adrian
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 142 lbs

Goal: To be 175-180 lbs @ 10% body fat.

If at first you don't succeed, YOU WERE TAUGHT BY LOSERS!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wish it was so easy to get bulky huge.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I wish it was so easy to get bulky huge.
    ^^

Adrian, unless you have fabulous genetics (which is always a possibility) your legs are not just going to balloon up from working them out.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Lol, that just the thing my legs are pretty big naturally. I know some wish for this, but I don't to get them anymore bulky from doing squats. So I was thinking maybe just keep to low weights on the squats just to get them toned up?

Working toward the next.
    Your legs don't magically get huge when you start squatting. I wish it were that way...

My legs are nowhere near bulky. So.....yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian101 View Post
    Lol, that just the thing my legs are pretty big naturally. I know some wish for this, but I don't to get them anymore bulky from doing squats. So I was thinking maybe just keep to low weights on the squats just to get them toned up?
    You're 5'7 and 142 pounds.

There's no way in hell your legs are big.

my legs are pretty big naturally.
    Give us a measurement.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    You're 5'7 and 142 pounds.

There's no way in hell your legs are big.
    Quoted for truth.

Mate do your squats, you are not going to bulk up like Ronnie Coleman. Since starting to squat seriously I've noticed much better gains in my upper body and my legs have increased MAYBE an inch.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    When your goal is to be 160 pounds at 10%, you wont have huge legs, it just wont happen. Plus, tone is for little girls

i get what he's saying, he's not a real weightlifter but one of those people after aesthetics... or how it appears in the mirror to him.

If you dont want big legs...dont work em... but im willing to bet your legs only look big to you.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Is it possible to strengthen and tone legs without getting them bulky? No offense to anyone with great quads/calves but I can't stand to see them to huge. It's probably just my personal taste. However, my issue is the fact that I'm on the shorter side and my legs are a teeny bit short. I've seen some short guys with huge legs and it's unappealing to me, they look like a cinder block.

So I'll repeat once more, Is it possible to strengthen and tone legs without getting them bulky huge? Thanks.

Yes it is. Lots of running/ biking while keeping calories at a maintenance level are good methods to accomplish that.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 09-30-2009 at 09:32 PM.

My legs got a lot bigger from doing squats and deads, but I was also bulking up.

Wannabebig Member
    What do you want strong legs for if not to bulk up? If you think they're already big enough and just want more definition then lose weight.

Seriously? Get them strong with low weights? You don't get toned other than building muscle and shedding fat to make the muscle you built show. Tone shouldn't ever even be used. If you want strong powerful legs but don't want them to be huge you can always do low reps as in singles with a lot of weight. And just don't eat a lot, biggest factor for size is how much you eat.

Wannabebig Member
    Having just looked at your stats I agree with others that this is just a personal issue, you seem to have height issues... I mean who adds the 1/2 inch to their height??

Wannabebig Member
    No offense to anyone with great quads/calves but I can't stand to see them to huge.
    No need to worry, I won't be taking my trousers off for you anytime soon.

Work the legs using lower reps with heavy weights. Eat at maintenance or less and you will not get bigger. To grow you need to eat above maintenance to shrink you need to eat below maintenance.

I understand what you are saying. At the current time I am more concerned with leg strength than leg size. I work my legs with squats three times a week and use different rep ranges for all three workouts. I am eating at maintenance and my legs have not grown in a month. In the future ... a different story for me.

I was hoping to hear back from this kid Adrian. Good thread.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed110 View Post
    Having just looked at your stats I agree with others that this is just a personal issue, you seem to have height issues... I mean who adds the 1/2 inch to their height??
    Lots of other people. No, I'm not insecure about my height. I'll admit I was for a period of time but not since high school lol.

Look guys thanks for the replies, yeah I think I'm imagining that my legs are big. Time to Squat away!

Lots of other people. No, I'm not insecure about my height. I'll admit I was for a period of time but not since high school lol.

Look guys thanks for the replies, yeah I think I'm imagining that my legs are big. Time to Squat away!
    That's the spirit. No one ever regrets squatting (aside from injury).