The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

This happened right where I used to live, what would you have done?

http://www.twincities.com/alllisting...287?source=rss

This was smack dab right in my old neighborhood, that I lived in up until this July. 5 blocks down my street.

Anyway, I wanted to know what you would do in this situation. Would you have attempted to resist the armed robbers? If you were carrying, would you have used your weapon?

I think I would've done exactly as the robbers wanted, with a group of my friends around, the last thing I'd want is to force the armed men into a shootout.

Stuff like this makes me wonder what would've happened to me if that guy caught me who chased me into my house last March.

I really don't miss living that close to downtown Minneapolis, at all.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 09-11-2009 at 09:17 AM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It depends on the exact situation. If I see an opening I'd probably go for something, if not I'd cooperate. I don't like sitting back and being taken advantage of if there's a slight chance I can fight back. Probably stupid and will get me killed one day, though luckily I don't live in a bad area.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

With 4 or 5 other innocent people around (most likely family), I would do nothing. Even if I didn't get shot there's a pretty high chance that someone else could get hurt or killed due to me being stubborn and that's just not an acceptable risk. I might try to follow them tho b/c I'd be really pissed.

It depends on a number of things. Depending if they had masks, how rutheless they are and what they are there for. If I knew for a fact they would kill us any way, I would go down with a fight. If they are just after money or values or whatever, I would just give them what they want and let them leave. If they have masks on its a better chance they will let you live.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

What a bunch of low lives. I would just cooperate with them and let them take whatever they wanted. If they have guns, they are not there to scare you 90% of the time and they will shoot your butt if they have to, as learned from the article
    -█--------█- Squat: 285 x 3
    ......\☻/...... Bench Press: 235 x 3 (stuck there)
    ........▌....... Skull Crusher: 110lbs ez bar
    ......./ \......Standing Shoulder Press: 115lbs (barbell)

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them." Pablo Picasso

depends on how many there are and whos gun is bigger, if my family was there id cooperate if i was alone and had a gun on me one of us is not walking out of there, basically if your going to shoot , shoot to kill because now in days a burglar can sue you for trying to kill him can you believe that?

when a friend of mine had his truck stolen he found out who it was the guy lived a coupld of houses down so he made a phone call, since then his neighborhood hasnt had any robberies and the burglar mysteriously moved out without taking anything with him
    alot of his neighbors were happy cuz they had stuff missing too
    Last edited by juan23; 09-11-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

Quote Originally Posted by juan23 View Post
    basically if your going to shoot , shoot to kill because now in days a burglar can sue you for trying to kill him can you believe that?
    It depends a lot on state laws, and the nature of the crime (if the suspect was armed, etc.)

I do agree with the shooting to kill philosophy though.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    It depends a lot on state laws, and the nature of the crime (if the suspect was armed, etc.)

I do agree with the shooting to kill philosophy though.
    i live in texas
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

Quote Originally Posted by juan23 View Post
    i live in texas
    Then you don't have to worry about people suing you...
    You can legally shoot someone if they fart to close to your property after midnight.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Then you don't have to worry about people suing you...
    You can legally shoot someone if they fart to close to your property after midnight.
    yes sir hence the evil laugh jeje

I think its easy to say Id try and do something about it, but when the moment happens and someone is their pointing a gun at me Id give them my wallet everytime. Better walking away without a wallet than not walking away at all.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

What can you do? Cooperate. I'm not going to risk my family and friends to act tough. If someone wants to be shady and take my stuff with me at gunpoint I'm going to cooperate. Now, if I had a weapon of equal damage on me then it's different. However, I would love for someone to pull that here in Wisconsin. We have a closet full of guns and boxes full of ammunition. Not a good idea to be flaunting guns around this neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    I think its easy to say Id try and do something about it, but when the moment happens and someone is their pointing a gun at me Id give them my wallet everytime. Better walking away without a wallet than not walking away at all.
    I have a knife in my car, it has about a 2" blade, it could damage someone, but the likelihood of fighting someone with a knife and not coming out with some serious damage yourself is pretty low.

My philosophy on these type of situations is:
    Outside: here's my goddamn wallet, I'm running away
    Inside: I'm risking my life to prevent a crime, if someone is bold enough to break into a house with the residents home, there is a good chance they are willing to do something dangerous to get what they want.

Starting Current

yeah i agree with you mecury. When i was younger, about 5, someone tried breakin into my house my dad went outside to see what was goin on and ended up gettin stabbed, wasnt a serious injury just a flesh wound but ive always realy respected my dad for that and woould like to think if anyone ever tried breakin into my house Id give it my all to get a hold of them and make sure they never thought of breakin into a house again. But then when the moment comes you never know what you will actualy do.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

If it's outside and there's clean opportunity to shoot, I trust I'm fast and accurate enough due to practice. I usually stay strapped, so I've been waiting for the occasion to arise.

But as fun as it would be to play Doc Holliday and send them bad boys to their maker, the best solution would probably be cooperate.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Gamer/Lifter
    Depends, although 90% i'd just fork over what they happened. Now let's just suppose I was an expert marksman (which I'm not) and let's just suppose I was 25 yards away,(which is unlikely) let's just suppose I had a .38 on me (unlikely) and two very clean shots (unlikely) lets just suppose I could take them out very quickly because I was such a good shooter (which I'm not) then yea I'd something.

Supposing I am like I am now? Id give them my wallet.

Now if they didn't have masks on that'd be different. Not because of their threat level was changed but because if they smart they know I'm going tel the cops what they look like so I'm better dead then alive. In that case guns are blazing.

Then again if a crimial was smart he wouldn't be a criminial.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

It's so hard to say what you would really do in these situations. I'd probably only do something if I felt they were going to kill me regardless.

I wouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. A couple of guys just strolling into your backyard? No barriers (gate, fence, bushes, etc), no security system, no motion activated lights, no dogs - sounds like a pretty poor setup.

I wouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place. A couple of guys just strolling into your backyard? No barriers (gate, fence, bushes, etc), no security system, no motion activated lights, no dogs - sounds like a pretty poor setup.
    It's a poor state of affairs when you have to turn your house into a prison through fear of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    It's so hard to say what you would really do in these situations. I'd probably only do something if I felt they were going to kill me regardless.
    Yep - if I'm gonna get shot anyway, I'm going down swinging. If they just wanted money, I'd probably just have given it to them.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    I usually stay strapped, so I've been waiting for the occasion to arise.
    this is why i think 90% of CCW holders are idiots
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    It's a poor state of affairs when you have to turn your house into a prison through fear of crime.
    How is owning a dog or fencing in one's yard "turning your house into a prison"?
    Last edited by CannibalCrowley; 09-12-2009 at 03:01 PM.