Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Wannabebig Member

Deadlift form check

Hey. Would love some feedback for my deadlift form...

Video

Not good. Re-read SS.

The ascent looks pretty solid -- good arch, chest out, etc. On the descent it looks like your knees are getting in the way of bringing the bar down to the ground, something needs to be corrected there, I believe.

You got the right idea but your form is still off. I agree with Kastro. Read SS. By looking at the vid you can easily keep your chin up higher and eyes focused higher as well. This will help give you better form until your used to it.

why ya re-posting? You already posted this vid & asked for a critique??

You not like the last responses? If you want more, just bump the old one would been easier.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Wannabebig Member
    Here is new video after re-reading SS. How does it look?
    Also - I'm confused. Im also learning power cleans which the first part of are deadlifts basically. But in the powerclean the knee comes back a little, bar raises above knee then the knee jutts out again slightly over bar. But it says nothing about this for Deadlifts.
    Video

I'm not a form expert, but I did notice that you drop the weight farther forward than where you pull the weight from. Notice that you pull the bar back into position before starting the next rep.

I also think you can drive yourself crazy by trying to develop the perfect form. Your anatomy will dictate certain forms, just concentrate on making the lifts safe, like not rounding the low-back.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-15-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Power Cleans and Deadlifts are two different movements.

Look for videos of "Koklyaev" on Youtube - he has very good technique on the deadlift and power clean (former olympic lifter).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'm not a form expert, but I did notice that you drop the weight farther forward than where you pull the weight from. Notice that you pull the bar back into position before starting the next rep.

I also think you can drive yourself crazy by trying to develop the perfect form. Your anatomy will dictate certain forms, just concentrate on making the lifts safe, like not rounding the low-back.
    I am def. not an expert but I would agree. The bar should basically drag down your whole leg.

These are better, but your descent is still wrong. It's just the reverse of how you raised it--initiate the lowering by bending at the hips, and then bend the knees once the bar is passed it... rather than initiating by bending at the knees like you're doing.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok... But it clearly says in SS to start the movement by bending the knees to get the bar past them and then start on the hips. I trust you Kastro you've given me good advice in the past, just want to get this right.
    Also it says the descent is just the same as the ascent.
    Help!

Ps. I did have some anoying trouble with those platforms, the legs on one side were hitting the weight. But I've sawed it off now.
    Last edited by dolphin; 09-16-2009 at 07:08 AM.

here...... see how the knee's get moving, Kepp your butt down straighten knees & then stand up straight.

You fire your hips up first....not what you want..... Tends to happens for most when the weight gets heavy.

Video
    Last edited by blownby; 09-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Also your form overall is not bad. Just try to set your butt down a bit further and keep it down for a bit longer through the pull. Stck with it

Your butt is also moving several inches before the bar comes up. You don't want to jerk the weight in that fashion. Think a bit more about lifting the shoulders up and back and getting the hips under them instead of lifting the bar vertically where you build momentum through the butt and the use it to snap the bar off the ground. Eventually, when the weight gets heavier, the weight of your hips and butt moving won't budge the bar. Of course, every rule that people make you can find somebody who does the opposite with some success. Take this for what you will. But even when top guys (and there are plenty here) kind of scoot into the lift by dropping their hips into it they are still getting the hips below the shoulders ...

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Ok... But it clearly says in SS to start the movement by bending the knees to get the bar past them and then start on the hips. I trust you Kastro you've given me good advice in the past, just want to get this right.
    Help!

Ps. I did have some anoying trouble with those platforms, the legs on one side were hitting the weight. But I've sawed it off now.
    Yes, I'm talking about the descent here. The ascent is just an extension of the knees until the bar passes them (and thus the back angle stays constant during this time), and THEN you extend the hips. When you descend, it's just the same motion reverse--hips bend until the bar passes the knees, and then you bend at the knees.

Your hips will rise a bit before any heavy weight leaves the ground if you're not in correct position with the scapulas over the bar, which you're obviously trying to do, but still needs to be exaggerated a bit more. Notice that when your hips rise before the bar moves, your knees extend, the shins pull away from the bar (before it even leaves the groun), and the bar path strays from vertical as it swings backwards to come in contact with the shins at the beginning of the pull.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blownby View Post
    here...... see how the knee's get moving, Kepp your butt down straighten knees & then stand up straight.

You fire your hips up first....not what you want..... Tends to happens for most when the weight gets heavy.

Video
    To me, this guy looks like his back is quite rounded?

sit back more and shoulders back

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_franks View Post
    To me, this guy looks like his back is quite rounded?
    My back is in a similiar position like his...is this too much bending? My back doesn't get sore (like a pain sore).

Wannabebig Member
    Here is latest deadlift workout. Is this getting better? And should I slam down the weight like that It makes sense to me to do it (though Id hate to hit my knees on the way down)

Video

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsie View Post
    My back is in a similiar position like his...is this too much bending? My back doesn't get sore (like a pain sore).
    The vid I posted is me......my back may be a tad flat here, but in no way is bad. This was my last working set with a relatively heavy -545# (for me at least)& the only vid i had on hand. It probably isn't the Best. But does show the oreder of "straightening" fine.

The form is fine. Not rounded by any means. Plus my lower back is pretty thick, so hard to see it properly on vid.

Back to the latest vid posted by OP....looks fine. You are splitting hairs trying to acheive "perfect" form. What i see you doing is just fine. The only things that may help is to sit down a tad further for the start & be sure to set back more with your shoulders at the top. Hard to see the top as it's cut off in vid.
    Last edited by blownby; 09-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.

oh an no need to slam down. Key is just a controlled descent. Again as the weight gets heavy the way down will get a tad faster.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Ok... But it clearly says in SS to start the movement by bending the knees to get the bar past them and then start on the hips.
    Help!
    You are right in how you read the ascent. the decent is the same but in reverse order.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, I feel I did very well with this latest workout, please tell me of any form faults though.
    - My butt moves slightly before the pull, I dont know if its enough to take me out of the correct setup though.
    - Also, is it ok to pause this long between reps? I was just checking that feet/bar setup were all good before pulling each rep so I do it correct each time, too long pauses?

Video

Your form is fine. You're officially overthinking this now. Focus on getting stronger and maintaining the form you have with heavier weight.

These are fine. Now get stronger.