Thread: VERY bad head pain while squatting

VERY bad head pain while squatting

I was squatting today, not too heavy I did 295 and did the first set perfectly no problems. I took a little 3 min break and went to hit my other set, and did 4 reps, pretty quickly, and before the last rep I stood up for about 10-20 seconds before I squatted down. I go ATG and before I even hit parallel I got a VERY bad head pain, more like a shock. Head was fine before, it was just after I went down. I honestly have never felt this before, I went to rack the weight and missed the pins and almost dropped the entire barbell, but I managed it up. The pain was still really bad so I just sat on the floor with my hand holding my head. It felt like my head was clotted full of blood, and shocking at the same time. I sat down for about 10 min and the pain was still there but milder, like a bad headache. I wanted to see If I could still squat so I went to unrack the bar, and when I barely went 1" down the same pain came back just as bad as the first time. I ended up sitting down again.

I went to get a drink of water in the gym and when I went down to grab my bag the same pain came back. I noticed after bending my head it comes back like the first time, and I have to really grab my head tight because my brain HURTS!!! I did some OH presses, it wasn't as bad because I don't bend my head too much, but it was still tough because my head still hurt. I went home after that, and It's been 2 hours, and my head still hurts.

Does anybody know what could have caused this? I have got headaches before but never this bad. Im eating right now but Im going to bad right after and hopefully Im better in the morning.

are you breathing properly , i went heavier than usual about three days ago and i noticed i wasnt breathing in between reps and i got a head ache
    "Theres times when I feel like im carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders, but i dont let it put me down I lift it up high over my head and yell, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT? GIVE ME MORE WEIGHT I WANT MORE!!!" -JUAN(me)

sounds like you jacked a ligament in your neck near where it holds the skull. I did that once and it sucked badly. I had to have some PT done on it to get it all better, but you might consider seeing a doc

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    sounds like you jacked a ligament in your neck near where it holds the skull. I did that once and it sucked badly. I had to have some PT done on it to get it all better, but you might consider seeing a doc
    This happens to me every now and then and it sucks. It usually only occurs during a moderate heavy rep set.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Go to the emergency room. What you are describing could be very serious and there is no sense in taking a chance.
    Last edited by chris mason; 09-07-2009 at 10:03 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i agree- go to the er or doc asap...

As the guys say, go to a doctor. It's probably nothing more than an exertion headache, but best to be sure.

I got this once and it was exactly as you described. I was doing chins and I got an almigty headache, severe pounding to the point that you could simply not workout because it was so painful.

And the minute I started another rep, I got severe pounding again.

It kept up for a few days and then went and I never had it again. I put it down to two things which were abnormal for me that week.

1. I was taking a thermogenic

2. I had a cold, so I as not breathing as I would normally

I even had the same happy when I had sex that week

Do a search on the forums too as there are several good threads on exertion headaches.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Thanks everybody, the pain is still as bad as yesterday, and it still get's worse when I bend down to put my shoe on or to pick something up. I could barely sleep. Im making an appointment to see the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Thanks everybody, the pain is still as bad as yesterday, and it still get's worse when I bend down to put my shoe on or to pick something up. I could barely sleep. Im making an appointment to see the doctor.
    Your making the right decision by seeing a doctor because it sounds more serious and it hasn't gotten any better.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I had the same deal a while back when I did some pullups. I aggravated it again shortly after and my head hurt for a couple weeks afterwards. I got it checked out and even had an MRI done and the docs chalked it up to exertion headache. I have been fine ever since. Still, get it checked out just to be sure.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I went to the Doctor a couple hours after I posted. Travis was right. I twisted a ligament on my neck, where it holds the skull. He said it does cause headaches.

He reccomended I take some time off from lifting, and prescribed me cyclobenzaprine for muscle pain, aches, soreness etc. Also some other pills to decrease any inflammation. He reccomended PT, but it's not necessary. I feel fine right now just a slight headache, I still cant move my head, too much or the shocking pain comes back pretty bad. So far every time, I've took a shower I've been getting the pain, not sure if it's because all of the neck movement inside, comes out of nowhere like a muscle spasm. I sleep like a baby now though!

Wannabebig Member
    Get some deep tissue massage done, or ART, and give it some rest. It'll take about 2 weeks before you can really exert yourself without re-tweaking it. If you have to lift heavy, for me anyway, doing less reps was okay. The big issue was straining for too long. Sets of 3+ were out unless they were rather easy, singles were fine. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Pop View Post
    Get some deep tissue massage done, or ART, and give it some rest. It'll take about 2 weeks before you can really exert yourself without re-tweaking it. If you have to lift heavy, for me anyway, doing less reps was okay. The big issue was straining for too long. Sets of 3+ were out unless they were rather easy, singles were fine. Good luck.
    Normally a DT massage or ART would be a really huge help, but in this case with these ligaments, it'd really make the problem a lot worse. I really doubt he'd even be able to tolerate the pain of someone pushing on it with any sort of force.

Rest and the meds will be his best bet. I got the PT done so I could keep lifting while it was healing. I hate taking down time.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Too bad I saw this so late. I had that and yes indeed it was a neck issue, like you mentioned.

I found massage helped but then never had it diagnosed by a doctor just a massage therapist. After some heat and massage and a couple days all was better. But I think mine was muscle not ligament.

Wannabebig Member
    Normally a DT massage or ART would be a really huge help, but in this case with these ligaments, it'd really make the problem a lot worse. I really doubt he'd even be able to tolerate the pain of someone pushing on it with any sort of force.

Rest and the meds will be his best bet. I got the PT done so I could keep lifting while it was healing. I hate taking down time.
    Makes sense. When I had a similar issue it wasn't ligaments, it was just muscular, and the ART helped, although it was ridiculously painful at the time...