Thread: triceps training

Hybrid View

triceps training

i was wondering how many times a week you guys train your triceps. i only train em once per week- about 2 sets after my bench training. i only do bench once per week as well. my dad is trying to talk me into doing triceps 2x a week- once after bench, and once 3 days later- just a "light" one. i have been training for about 17 years- and have always done a bodypart only once per week. i train for power and strength- no bodybuilder here.

I think what you have been doing has worked very well for you so far (think you have a 495 raw bench, not sure how much you get out of a shirt).
    Most train triceps twice a week, I like doing em twice per week and it seems to be working well but as I said what you are doing has worked for you so far.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

i reckon i have ZERO technique in a shirt so far- but working on it. my dads theory is that i should use the 2nd day as an 'active recovery' and do some light sets- i am new to band presses and board presses etc- and i think that will shock the triceps into getting stronger. he seems to think that the 2nd triceps workout will help them to heal faster.
    Last edited by allan3; 09-10-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Twice. After my ME day I'll usually train them heavier, and on DE I'll usually go lighter and for more volume. I agree with your dad btw, some active recovery work is great for any muscle group, but especially the tri's as they take a beating with heavy benching.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by allan3 View Post
    i reckon i have ZERO technique in a shirt so far- but working on it. my dads theory is that i should use the 2nd day as an 'active recovery' and do some light sets- i am new to band presses and board presses etc- and i think that will shock the triceps into getting stronger. he seems to think that the 2nd triceps workout will help them to heal faster.
    Sounds like a good idea, yeah I have found bands and reverse bands to work VERY well-I don't do much in the way of extensions/pushdowns as they hurt my left elbow but the bands and boards have shot my triceps strength up.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Active recovery is more done the day after your workout instead of 3 days after. If you want to get the most out of a shirt, then you probably need a lot more triceps work. It's not uncommon to do 8-12 sets twice a week on bench days.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Active recovery is more done the day after your workout instead of 3 days after. If you want to get the most out of a shirt, then you probably need a lot more triceps work. It's not uncommon to do 8-12 sets twice a week on bench days.
    8-12 sets of tricep 2x a week? right now i only hit bench press 1x a week. i get sore as hell from one day a week as is, but i am willing to do 2x a week as long as i feel that my body can heal and get stronger and not over train. my long time friend hits bench 2x a week,and is un-natural. he doesnt get sore all damn week long from one workout. if you guys honestly think that i can train bench 2x a week and get stronger- and not over train, im gonna give it a try.

Allan,
    I'm twice per week as well... Hvy. raw bds. or floor press, after Hvy. shirt work along w/ DB extensions.

Speed day is more Lt. tri's for volume and recovery.

You don't go heavy both days. That's the key. I think a lot of people try to bench twice a week and both days turn into heavy days. That'll beat the crap out of you unless you're built to bench.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Heavy one day, moderate on another. Training tricpes is the key to victory with the bench. I trained them more than ever this past cycle and smoked a good pr.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

You can definitely train your triceps twice a week without overtraining.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i had a former wabdl world record holder in the masters 275 class tell me that he hit em 2x one week, and 3x the next and rotated back and forth. i think i am going to bump it up to 2x a week and go from there. thank you guys for the answers, much appriciated!!

Wannabebig Member
    If you're only benching once a week I'd be interested in seeing where you place a second tricep day in your routine. Let me know. This is a good thread.
    - Press On !

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    If you're only benching once a week I'd be interested in seeing where you place a second tricep day in your routine. Let me know. This is a good thread.
    for sure!! im still tryin to figure it out!!

what is your normal split as of now?

i do bench every friday. squats on sunday, and back (deads or rows) on tuesday. i do 2-3 sets of tricep on bench day, and 2 sets of bicep curls on tuesdays.