The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Intermediate Lifter

Squat Training Video

I'm looking to hit 340+ lbs at my next meet. This was Set 1 of 3 @ 285 X 2 (Sheiko) in full single ply gear.

Thanks.

5'9" 197 lbs 50 Years Young
    Powerlifting Total (single ply): 1101 lbs.
    Bench (raw): 245 X 8
    Incline Bench Press (raw): 225 lbs. X 8
    Strict Standing Military Press: 190 X 1
    Training Journal.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your form looks great. Excellent depth etc.

One point, why use full gear to squat in the 300s? I think you should work on building up to a 400 lbs + raw squat prior to using any gear.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You got plenty of strength man, but I will point out a couple form things I see in the vid:

1.) You are breaking at the knees first and not pushing back with the hips..you can load up that suit and get more power by getting the hips back first.
    2.) You are bent over on the way up. It looks like your elbows are up in the air behind you and that is a common problem I see with lifters who are bent over...tuck them elbows under as far foward as you can, that will help you maintain a tighter arch and keep you more upright and allow you to blow up alot faster.

Otherwise you have the strength so keep training hard.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your form looks great. Excellent depth etc.

One point, why use full gear to squat in the 300s? I think you should work on building up to a 400 lbs + raw squat prior to using any gear.
    Thanks a lot Chris!

I understand what you mean. You have a very good point.

There are a bunch of personal reasons actually, but they don't reduce the point.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brookman View Post
    You got plenty of strength man, but I will point out a couple form things I see in the vid:

1.) You are breaking at the knees first and not pushing back with the hips..you can load up that suit and get more power by getting the hips back first.
    2.) You are bent over on the way up. It looks like your elbows are up in the air behind you and that is a common problem I see with lifters who are bent over...tuck them elbows under as far foward as you can, that will help you maintain a tighter arch and keep you more upright and allow you to blow up alot faster.

Otherwise you have the strength so keep training hard.
    Thank you Mike.

I am having trouble with both of these points. A good deal of trouble actually.

I am slowly and gradually getting better at keeping my elbows tucked as far forward as I can, when I remember to do it. I have to work on keeping a tighter arch and staying upright. I had such horrible form when I started squatting that it was pathetic. I was doing a complete Good Morning up out of the hole.

I can't seem to break at the hips first. I get the feeling that I could get a lot more out of the suit if I did, as you've said. I've got to try to keep working on it, and hopefully I'll begin to get it.

Training Journal.

I think actually at least on the first rep, you were a little high. It's hard to tell because your knee goes in front of the rack

Agree with Mike in that you are bent a good bit over at the bottom, which throws your hips up.

Using gear is fine, but you need to make sure your accessory work includes a ton of raw squatting for reps and deadlifting raw to help bring up your raw strength as well as help you strengthen all your squatting muscles.

Using it to prepare for a meet, like I said, not a problem, just make sure you're putting in the gym time squatting the old fashioned way

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I think actually at least on the first rep, you were a little high. It's hard to tell because your knee goes in front of the rack

Agree with Mike in that you are bent a good bit over at the bottom, which throws your hips up.

Using gear is fine, but you need to make sure your accessory work includes a ton of raw squatting for reps and deadlifting raw to help bring up your raw strength as well as help you strengthen all your squatting muscles.

Using it to prepare for a meet, like I said, not a problem, just make sure you're putting in the gym time squatting the old fashioned way
    Thank you very much Travis!

I completely agree that I wasn't at the type of depth I like to be at. I noticed that I was high on some of the first reps of these two-rep sets. I'm going to post the rest of the vids I took of this workout, which includes the raw work I did after the geared sets. If you get a chance, tell me what you think overall.

I have a lot of work to do in the Squat. I have a lot of issues to work out, and being that far over at the bottom is like my main one.

I agree completely that I have to do a ton of raw work for reps, to bring up my raw strength. Yes, I need to deadlift raw a lot more as well. The Squat muscles are far from where they should be.

Last edited by smitsky; 09-12-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter
    This was the Squat routine that these vids are taken from (9/4/09):

Squat:

Bar X 6
    170 X 5 (knee wraps)
    200 X 4 X 2 Sets (belt)
    235 X 3 X 2 (briefs)
    270 X 3 X 3 (briefs off; suit on straps up; full gear)
    285 X 2 X 3
    195 X 2 X 4 (raw; no belt; knee sleeves only)

Routine is from Al Caslow's advice to lifters that I have a spreadsheet of.

The 1st set of 285 X 2 X 3 was shown above.

2nd Set:

3rd Set:

2nd raw Set (1st set not videoed):

I still have to upload the 4th raw Set (3rd set not videoed).

Thanks.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter
    4th raw Set (3rd not videoed):

Training Journal.

Hey Smitsky, I just noticed your location is NYC. It would be good if you can hook up with Christ Taylor on this forum and go out and hit a few session with him and John Bernor in Long Island. It would be a great for you to get some hands on coaching in person...and you will be able to progress that much faster training with Elite level guys like them. That is why I post on this forum, to talk to and learn from those greater than I, they are where I want to go and will do whatever it takes to get there.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brookman View Post
    Hey Smitsky, I just noticed your location is NYC. It would be good if you can hook up with Christ Taylor on this forum and go out and hit a few session with him and John Bernor in Long Island. It would be a great for you to get some hands on coaching in person...and you will be able to progress that much faster training with Elite level guys like them. That is why I post on this forum, to talk to and learn from those greater than I, they are where I want to go and will do whatever it takes to get there.
    Thanks Mike!

I have spoken to John. I would love to train with them. John has invited me. The problem is that Patchogue is quite far from NYC where I reside. I would have to take the train, and the ride is over two hours round trip. I'll give John a call again to see if I can coordinate schedules with him for a day trip. I agree with you 105%

Training Journal.

Well, that might be a bit too much for every week, but at least a session up front to fine tune your form..once your form is fine tuned you will get stronger MUCH faster..

Good luck.

Intermediate Lifter
    I took last week off for a deload.

I squat yesterday, in prepararion for my upcoming meet: USAPL Maryland States in last Nov. or early Dec.

285 X 2 X 3 (1st set) Sheiko training in single ply briefs.

I have tried to keep more of an arch by tucking my elbows as suggested by Mike and Travis.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter

285 X 2 X 3 (2nd set)

Training Journal.

Quote Originally Posted by smitsky View Post
    Thanks Mike!

I have spoken to John. I would love to train with them. John has invited me. The problem is that Patchogue is quite far from NYC where I reside. I would have to take the train, and the ride is over two hours round trip. I'll give John a call again to see if I can coordinate schedules with him for a day trip. I agree with you 105%
    Where in the city do you train if you don't mind me asking? I believe my membership at NYSC runs out soon, thank goodness. I am trying to figure out my next more.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Where in the city do you train if you don't mind me asking? I believe my membership at NYSC runs out soon, thank goodness. I am trying to figure out my next more.
    I train with two other Powerlifters at the Westside YMCA on 63rd St. off of Central Park West. We have Boards and Chains and Bands and the gym lets us store our equipment there and use Chalk and bang our Deadlifts all we want

You are welcome.

Training Journal.

StrengthFromAboveMinistry Benny Jackson's Avatar
    Thanks Mike!

Were actually in Mastic Beach now at a private gym... It's just slightly further east than Patchogue. I'm sure John would love to have you come out, as we all would.

On another note, CT (Chris Taylor) trains in Babylon now. So that's a little closer to you.
    Last edited by Benny Jackson; 09-19-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:1-2)

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Jackson View Post
    Were actually in Mastic Beach now at a private gym... It's just slightly further east than Patchogue. I'm sure John would love to have you come out, as we all would.

On another note, CT (Chris Taylor) trains in Babylon now. So that's a little closer to you.
    Thanks!

Is any of this accessable to public transportation? I don't own a car, and the cost of renting is quite high.

Training Journal.

StrengthFromAboveMinistry Benny Jackson's Avatar
    Thanks!

Is any of this accessable to public transportation? I don't own a car, and the cost of renting is quite high.
    The train station is on William Floyd and about a 5 minute car ride from the gym. I live in Mastic Beach. If you like I could pick you up from the station? I'll PM you with my phone number.
    I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:1-2)

I train with two other Powerlifters at the Westside YMCA on 63rd St. off of Central Park West. We have Boards and Chains and Bands and the gym lets us store our equipment there and use Chalk and bang our Deadlifts all we want

You are welcome.
    Hmm. Intersting. I work on 56th, on the westside and go to school at night @ Fordham's Lincoln Center campus. I didn't even know that gym existed. I might check it out when I start looking at gyms. I'm skinny little bodybuilder type though.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Jackson View Post
    The train station is on William Floyd and about a 5 minute car ride from the gym. I live in Mastic Beach. If you like I could pick you up from the station? I'll PM you with my phone number.
    Thanks a lot Benny! I really appreciate it. PM received.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Hmm. Intersting. I work on 56th, on the westside and go to school at night @ Fordham's Lincoln Center campus. I didn't even know that gym existed. I might check it out when I start looking at gyms. I'm skinny little bodybuilder type though.
    Yes, you should check it out. We're there on Mon., Wed., and Fri., at 5 PM. During my upcoming meet preperation we are benching on Sun. at 2 PM.

Let me know if / when you want to show up, and I'll give you a tour.

Training Journal.

Intermediate Lifter
    Squat work on 9/25/09. 300 X 1 X 2 Sets (video of 2nd set):

Training Journal.