Thread: Sore shoulder when doing Dips?

Sore shoulder when doing Dips?

G'day Guys and Gals,

As some of you may or may not know, I don't have access to a bench currently and thus am doing weighted dips as a substitute (note: I'm not training to be a competitive powerlifter, thus please no replies of "ZOMG get on da bench dips r 4 luzerz"). I find that when I'm doing Dips (ring dips if it makes a difference) that I get a dull ache both in the front of my left shoulder near say the head of the humerus and also in the rear slightly above and to the right of the top of my armpit (pardon the poor explanations). I've had a few people watch my form and none have detected any real imbalances in the movement pattern/biomechanics. The ache also goes away within say 10-20 minutes of finishing the dips.

As for shoulder flexibility, I think my case is a bit odd. I can overhead squat 60kg fairly well (say 3-5 reps) as well as being able to snatch. That being said, when I squat I cannot get my hands very close to my shoulders at all and that I get a dull ache in my RIGHT shoulder if I try bring them in too close.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by tomv; 09-11-2009 at 04:21 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Your training. Slight discomfort is part of building and working. Dips are especially hard on the shoulders as it is so ring dips are dually hard. If you're going to do them, expect some pain. If it gets to be too much, stop doing them and do weighted pushups.

As for the shoulder stiffness when bringing the hands in, normal as well. Plenty of guys I know (myself included), can't bring their hands in without discomfort. that's why you see most of the top level powerlifters squatting with their hands out by the plates.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Here's a tip, if you can, avoid things that hurt you. You don't need dips to get bigger or stronger. Use different exercises to accomplish your goal. That's unless you have a dip contest coming up.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Haha Yeah I realise that's the obvious answer Vinny but I was more hoping that it may have been a muscular issue where I needed to perhaps stretch something or strengthen something else and it may not be an issue. I don't have a dip competition coming up but I do enjoy working (or attempting to) on the rings and the dip does come up fairly often.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I'm also yet to see if this affects my bench, if it does then that becomes a real bummer.
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Try reducing your range of motion. You may be going too deep which puts a ton of stress on the shoulder. Look at doing some rotator cuff prehab, and don't rush your warm-up.

Another thing might be to start out on a stable dip station instead of rings. That extra instability is probably not helping.
    Last edited by Scott R.; 09-11-2009 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Here's a tip, if you can, avoid things that hurt you. You don't need dips to get bigger or stronger. Use different exercises to accomplish your goal. That's unless you have a dip contest coming up.
    This is not the answer I wanted to hear. Therefore, your answer is rejected. Good day sir. LOL

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Haha I wasn't rejecting his answer entirely, more trying to hold out for a brief while and see if other people may have any other suggestions. That being said, if they don't then yes of course I will stop doing dips.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Haha Yeah I realise that's the obvious answer Vinny but I was more hoping that it may have been a muscular issue where I needed to perhaps stretch something or strengthen something else and it may not be an issue. I don't have a dip competition coming up but I do enjoy working (or attempting to) on the rings and the dip does come up fairly often.
    I couldn't agree with Vincent more. I really think dips are just about worthless compared to the plethora of other exercises you can do out there.

If you realize it's the obvious answer, but just don't like it, why ask?

You're probably really stressing out your rotator cuff. Combined with all the other stuff you're doing with your shoulders, this is putting them over the edge. But if it's more important to you to work on the rings then get used to the pain

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

so dips will have no real carryover to bench?

sorry to hijack..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    so dips will have no real carryover to bench?

sorry to hijack..
    Well they do have a small carryover, in that they do strengthen the tris, however you can accomplish the same thing with bigger gains without the crazy stress on the shoulders

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Dips are kinda funny. Some people get really beat up from them and get nothing from them. Others really have no issues. I like them at the end of a workout either weighted or as high rep work. Always seemed to help my bench some.

Does it hurt if you do them from a stand? I know when I do them from blast straps I get some discomfort.
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I couldn't agree with Vincent more. I really think dips are just about worthless compared to the plethora of other exercises you can do out there.

If you realize it's the obvious answer, but just don't like it, why ask?

You're probably really stressing out your rotator cuff. Combined with all the other stuff you're doing with your shoulders, this is putting them over the edge. But if it's more important to you to work on the rings then get used to the pain
    Yep, I believe I may end up following yours and Vince's suggestion.

I thought it was the obvious answer but I have a very limited knowledge of physiology and exercise compared to people on here, thus I thought with their greater base of wisdom they may be able to offer a different solution.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Yep, I believe I may end up following yours and Vince's suggestion.

I thought it was the obvious answer but I have a very limited knowledge of physiology and exercise compared to people on here, thus I thought with their greater base of wisdom they may be able to offer a different solution.
    Ah, I understand. Good choice