Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New to starting strength

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242

    New to starting strength

    The last time I looked I was 5'11" 122 lbs before I started SS last week. How much weight roughly per week should I be looking to gain? Does it matter? Should I focus more on just looking at improvement in my weights? How fast do you think my arms will increase in size. (They are pretty much girl arms right now)

  2. #2
    Airsofter & Paintballer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AC, KS
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
    The last time I looked I was 5'11" 122 lbs before I started SS last week. How much weight roughly per week should I be looking to gain? Does it matter? Should I focus more on just looking at improvement in my weights? How fast do you think my arms will increase in size. (They are pretty much girl arms right now)
    I wouldn't worry too much about your weight gains (still should probably keep track of weight though), but just focus on strength. And after that is looks. I consider weight to be at the end of the line in what's important. Worry about progress in strength and your lifts, and make sure you're doing correct form and adding weight accordingly.

    However, if you want to know what you should look to gain, depending on your diet, it can be a wide stretch. It's possible with a poor diet to stay the same, maybe gain a pound or two. With a proper diet (for you, to bulk and to eat as much as possible, preferably clean obviously), and I'm not great with the weight portion on this, but you could possibly gain up 10-15lb the first month or two (of course it will be less and less as you get bigger). You're fairly small, because as a Freshman, a lot of people are around 5'10" or so, and 122 sounds fairly skinny compared to people I know, so you have plenty of room to grow. After a month or two, you'll notice some changes in definition and size in your arms (again, as long as you eat plenty).

    Anyone feel free to argue my estimates? I'm not that good at progress like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've been bulking for about 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What's a cut?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    Obviously I am doing this for overall strength and size, but one of my main goals is to be able to wear sleeveless or really short sleeves next spring/summer without feeling embarrassed. Do you think this is possible. (Again I basically have girl arms just with some small delts)

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    January of this year I was 5'9 and about 115; by mid-June I was at 143. I've been skinny as hell all my life but I finally got dedicated and got my ass in the gym 3 times a week EVERY week and made sure I ate tons of protein (so much chicken pasta and chicken sandwiches...) and there I was.

    Now, I was inexperienced then and didn't know about this site so I wasn't doing SS and I wasn't eating as good as I could have been (which lead to a bit of unnecessary fat, much to my inexperienced surprise). So you are at a good spot, starting out and knowing where to go.

    My point is this:

    (1) Be dedicated (in diet and training)

    (2) read this site (especially the articles) as much as possible.

    and I promise you will be surprised at your weight gains. I'd honestly say about 4-5 lbs. is reasonable to expect (mostly muscle, just a touch of fat).

    Good Luck Kid!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    January of this year I was 5'9 and about 115; by mid-June I was at 143. I've been skinny as hell all my life but I finally got dedicated and got my ass in the gym 3 times a week EVERY week and made sure I ate tons of protein (so much chicken pasta and chicken sandwiches...) and there I was.

    Now, I was inexperienced then and didn't know about this site so I wasn't doing SS and I wasn't eating as good as I could have been (which lead to a bit of unnecessary fat, much to my inexperienced surprise). So you are at a good spot, starting out and knowing where to go.

    My point is this:

    (1) Be dedicated (in diet and training)

    (2) read this site (especially the articles) as much as possible.

    and I promise you will be surprised at your weight gains. I'd honestly say about 4-5 lbs. is reasonable to expect (mostly muscle, just a touch of fat).

    Good Luck Kid!
    Thanks man.

    So I do not need any direct arm work? I have seen a couple people on this site say there arms didn't grow that much on SS. Are they just BSing?

    This is fine by the way right?

    Sunday:
    Squat
    Bench Press/Shoulder Press
    Pull-Ups

    Tuesday:
    Squat
    Bench Press/Shoulder Press
    Deadlift

    Thursday:
    Squat
    Bench Press/Shoulder Press
    Chin-Ups

    I occasionally throw in some full body crunches and neck resistance.

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10
    Well, I hesitate to comment b/c I'm not nearly one of the more knowledgeable posters here, but I will predict this:

    You said you were doing SS, but that list isn't SS (although it is clearly inspired by it - i.e. squats every day are good and it's good you're doing deadlifts). Virtually all the posters here will tell you to do SS exactly as it's laid out (I assume you have read the Sticky on this?). If you read the entire sticky, you'll see that people mention putting chin-ups on the OH Press/Power Clean day - I would imagine that (plus bench on your other days) will be pretty sufficient for your arms.

    The key w/ your arms is to be patient -- I know you want to see some guns in the mirror as a reward for the work you have put in -- but just do SS as intended, eat right, and the rest will fall into place (including your arms).

    P.S. Are you familiar w/ GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day?). If not, search this site using that term. They say if you follow it, your body will pretty much respond as if you were on steroids (in terms of significant muscle (and, as always, some fat) additions in a small time period).

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Well, I hesitate to comment b/c I'm not nearly one of the more knowledgeable posters here, but I will predict this:

    You said you were doing SS, but that list isn't SS (although it is clearly inspired by it - i.e. squats every day are good and it's good you're doing deadlifts). Virtually all the posters here will tell you to do SS exactly as it's laid out (I assume you have read the Sticky on this?). If you read the entire sticky, you'll see that people mention putting chin-ups on the OH Press/Power Clean day - I would imagine that (plus bench on your other days) will be pretty sufficient for your arms.

    The key w/ your arms is to be patient -- I know you want to see some guns in the mirror as a reward for the work you have put in -- but just do SS as intended, eat right, and the rest will fall into place (including your arms).

    P.S. Are you familiar w/ GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day?). If not, search this site using that term. They say if you follow it, your body will pretty much respond as if you were on steroids (in terms of significant muscle (and, as always, some fat) additions in a small time period).
    This was one of the starting strength variations on the starting strength wiki. Also I am intolerant to dairy. I do get my calories though.

    So are you saying you don't get maximum arm growth on starting strength, or that it comes slowly, or that you don't notice it right away?

  8. #8
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    I dont really like that variation but that is because i love the powerclean. I would do the original version but thats just me. By doing chins you will get enough arm work, but i sometimes threw in some curls just for fun if i was feeling right. As long as the program is fun, i find you can stick to it longer. However, dont go curling away three times a week. Sometimes in this case means twice a month.

    Also, dont worry about any bodyparts that seem to be lagging around. Do the work, eat whats needed and i am sure your body as a whole will grow.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    60lbs in the first year will be good progress.

Similar Threads

  1. Starting Strength
    By Jorge Sanchez in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 337
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 09:25 AM
  2. Ripptoe's Starting Strength - Holy cow (And a question)
    By KoSh in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
  3. Starting Strength Question
    By ChrisNeander in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
  4. RESULTS results thread
    By KingWilder in forum AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Replies: 754
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
  5. feedback on routine i found
    By uzair rocks in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •