The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 111 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Nice work man. I know you'll jump right back on it and go right back to success. That relaxment probably did you good in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road
    Holy crap...you're possessed - lol
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    very nice man, i knew youd be hitting it soon. feels good to be in the mix. that 405x2 is a pr yes?

p90x is a good program.. its like any other high intensity training system.. good for fat loss, not the best for muscle preservation.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    you certainly are back. With avengeance! I bet its all that muscle glycogen! Power it out!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Looks good Mark. A lot of people love skull crushers. They have a sweet name and give you a killer burn.
    Thanks man, I think it's the name that really has me hooked, haha. I really do enjoy them quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Way to get back at it!!!
    That I did. Appreciate you stoppin by buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Good job getting back to the weights. That is a crazy session though with a ton of work if that was all in one trip to the gym! And I thought I had high volume...
    One, evil trip to the gym that was. Clocked in at 5:45, hit the showers at 7:30, and I wanted to do cardio after abs, just ran out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Holy crap...you're possessed - lol
    Just wanna be strong like you OR.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Nice work man. I know you'll jump right back on it and go right back to success. That relaxment probably did you good in the long run!
    Thanks buddy. I was genuinely worried about being able to get back on track, but I feel 60% better about things after the workout today.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    very nice man, i knew youd be hitting it soon. feels good to be in the mix. that 405x2 is a pr yes?

p90x is a good program.. its like any other high intensity training system.. good for fat loss, not the best for muscle preservation.
    p90x is really a pretty nice gig. I knew I'd have trouble, I'm not that guy on the ad that needs to cut 20lbs of fat to get chiseled, so naturally I was skeptical about doing it. I do plan to add it back in sometime when I'm more flexible and well, skinnier than I am now.
    405x2 is a PR.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gasman UK View Post
    you certainly are back. With avengeance! I bet its all that muscle glycogen! Power it out!
    Gotta get it while the gettins good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Haven't stopped in here in a while. The vacation sounded great Mark. Workouts are lookin' sexy too.

-GHETTO T-BAR ROWS-
    180x8x4

-BARBELL ROWS-
    160x8x4

-STRAIGHT ARM PULL DOWNS-
    45x8x4 with pause at the bottom and very slow rise.

-DRAGON FLAGS-
    8x4 Last set sucked pretty hard.

-PWO Cardio-
    20 minutes treadmill alternating speeds and incline
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Big rows...Nice work.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Definitely some sweet rowing man. Things lookin' good.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Thanks guys. I was incredibly sore today when I woke up, moreso than I've been in a very long time. My neck, deltoids, triceps.biceps and forearms were smoking. I planned on at least getting in cardio today since I ran out of time yesterday, all else was added bonus I guess you could say. Diet was good today, I bought some country style pork ribs, man those things were tasty. Tomorrow will be my first session back at metroflex, I'm anxious/nervous about that. My legs have been tight and sore since the cruise, will definitely be interesting.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Mmmmm, ribs. I know that smoking feeling lol. You'll do great at teh metroflex! Time to lift some more stones soon I hope?
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    yeah after a layoff that soreness always comes back with a vengeance. FEELS GOOD

Oh I'm sure there will be stones, there always are. Hope I have the same success I had last trip. I'm sure there will be squats to...I'm worried about those, with the way my legs have been feeling, my depth is going to royally suck. We'll see. Gonna get there earlier and stretch forever.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

good luck squatting dude. I hope you surpass your goals- you have a hell of a work ethic man!

Metroflex was a bit of a bust today. It's like at least one thing went wrong with each lift. Here we go....

-SQUATS-
    135x5
    225x5
    315x5x3 God these felt damn heavy. It's a PR rep wise but yeesh I wanted to scream, I did scream...but I wanted to scream like a little girl. I hit each rep, and then some...last set 3rd rep failed, I went back down and adjusted it, pushed it up, 4 and 5 were more powerful, or so says my trainer. I just lost focus I guess. My knees weren't right, balance was off for that one rep. Damnit.
    260x3x3 long pause at the bottom of each rep. These weren't bad, felt good for the most part. Struggled on last set rep 2 and 3, but it came up.

-DEADLIFT HELL-
    315x1 Easy as hell
    365x3 Good
    395x1 Good
    395x0(2 was the goal) Fail...took 5 minute rest, relaxing as much as possible.
    395x2 This sucked...but two reps came up I guess. For some reason, I tried locking my hips out when the bar was at my knees instead of higher up. My form and focus wasn't right tonight.

-GLUTE HAM RAISES-
    BWx7x3 These were good stuff, burn, felt good. But hell, it's hard to screw these up. Given the chance I'm sure I would have found a way to be an idiot.

-CONDITIONING-
    All done with 1 minute rest in between each work...
    55lbx15 Kettlebell
    95lbx15 Log Cleans (First log work, was good stuff)
    170lbx15 Atlas Stones from lap to chest then back to lap etc. Some jerk off took the damn atlas stone platform, yeah...someone stole a damn platform for atlas stones, wtf? He didn't really steal it. He made it, gave it to the gym, got some good deals in the gym as far as membership, something happened, he indian gave the dang thing, what the hell someone should beat him. Anyway...I struggled so bad with these. I got 7 reps, dropped the stone, did 3 reps, dropped the stone (at this point the only words coming out of my mouth were words that produce *'s on these forums. Regrouped, got the last 5 reps and damn, I was dead.

-PWO Bike to think...-
    10 minutes

I'm pissed about this workout. I'm pissed about my lifts, my conditioning. Damnit I'm pissed in general. I need to get my crap back together. I'm thinking no more long vacations until I get closer to my goals. It really threw me out of the loop, I don't feel good about things at all right now. ****
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

TJW
    Great work the past 2 sessions Mark! I know the last one wasn't what you wanted, but it takes me a week or 2 coming back to get into the flow of things.

Hey buddy, wanted to jump in and follow ya.

I'm a bit lazy though, so forgive me for asking what your current goals are!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

End of 2010, be under 300lbs and keep my current strength. I want to eventually be around 260 and be strong as hell with a muscular definition. Got a ways to go but we'll get there. I appreciate you stopping by Daniel, means a lot brother.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Good stuff, you;re pretty darn strong!

How do you find sticking to the diet and what type of diet are you on?

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Mate with the amounts you're lifting already, you'll have huge muscles just waiting to be uncovered. @260 you'll be in fantastic shape! I wanna catch up to you on deads soon!!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Garage Lifter
    Doing great Mark, don't get to down on the session. You got your work done and that's the most important thing.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Awesome 'deadlifting hell' session!!! That's sweet that you failed at 395....then gave it another shot and pulled 2 reps! Excellent efforts, especially after following the 315 lb squats!!!!! Great job!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Good stuff, you;re pretty darn strong!

How do you find sticking to the diet and what type of diet are you on?
    Thanks for the comments. I'm following a carb cycle. Right now I'm 12 days minimal carbs to get in to ketosis, then riding keto out, 2 days refeed. So far, it's working really well for me, but I'm sure eventually we'll shorten the cycle and have 1 refeed day. I'm confident in my trainer, and his background and personal "field work" speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Doing great Mark, don't get to down on the session. You got your work done and that's the most important thing.
    I hear that a lot. "It's alright, you didn't quit, that's the important thing." I know I shouldn't beat my self up over this, I know it's not a steady flight to the top, I just get frustrated with myself for failing on the first attempt. I know what I expect of myself, I know, or I feel that I know, what others expect of me, and that's not failure.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Awesome 'deadlifting hell' session!!! That's sweet that you failed at 395....then gave it another shot and pulled 2 reps! Excellent efforts, especially after following the 315 lb squats!!!!! Great job!
    Thanks man, can't quit, ever.

Disclaimer: This is probably more than anyone wants to know, or cares to know, but I feel like plotting some thoughts out, I need to vent.
    This is personal. I know I know, it's not supposed to be personal, it's business (Mafia reference) My entire young life, I've seen my mother struggle with her weight, struggle with type 2 diabetes, struggle with high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. She ends up with these large sores that eventually turn in to pretty much craters on her legs, right now she has 2, and 1 large hole the size of a nickel, as deep as 2 inches on her thigh due to her bodies inability to fight infection, and loss of circulation. Each night, my wife and I, being the angel she is, clean and dress my moms wounds. It's like fate, gleaming evilly back at me. I think to myself..."Not like this...not this way, I'll die before I see myself like this." Every issue she has, is weight related. I'm sorry I didn't realize what I needed to do when I was younger, but I guess better late than never. My brother, in his 40's, struggles with weight. He has no concept of diet, or eating things that aren't deep fried. He drinks cokes a lot, like a 6 pack a night sometimes, and eats fried chicken, fried everything, and everything dipped in grease, every night. His legs, are much like my mothers, only not as bad because he doesn't have the issues just yet...YET. I come from a large family, they eat well, every meal. Now, it's like trying to re-train my mothers thought process regarding food, she thinks like I once did regarding eating less, practically nothing, lose weight right? Her bodies metabolism I'm sure is so FUBAR, it may have flat lined, but we work with her none the less. She's moved in with us, and we're watching what she eats, preparing her meals, and TRYING to pry her out of bed to move around. Now, that's the worst, and pretty much only bad thing I've got going on, but it's taxing, and damn it's a huge battle. I have 2 great examples of why I need to succeed training wise, and diet wise. I don't talk about my wife on here much, but her, and our 3 boys are the main reason for my desire to get healthy. Set aside a career in law enforcement, strongman competitions, and anything else...if I can't be here for my family, I'm worthless. My wife keeps me grounded. She always makes me vent about workouts, and always makes sure I log stuff, and my diet is on track. She's like a 24/7 coach and she's tough too! I couldn't do anything without her support, she keeps me on my toes, and helps kick my ass when I so often need it. As much as I hate to say it, she makes me go to the doctor when I need. She reads my journals every day to make sure I'm logging things and checks on things, she's the best thing that's ever happened to me, tomorrow is our 1 year anniversary, it's been the best year, health wise, and everything else wise, so far.

Well, that's it for now. Just felt like a brief history lesson behind my personal battle, and the flame that burns within. This has to work, I have to succeed, bottom line.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

You've got some incredible support there and some some very obvious motivations to get to a healthy bodyweight and BMI. Just take it a day and a week at a time and things will come together.

Seeing as you have a trainer (is it a local one by the way?) who is handling your training and diet I won't try and give you too much advice etc.

But if you can rant, well so can I lol. There are a few things I want to say and I want to say them because they personally stopped me making progress for about 10 years. It pains me to even think about it, but I was massively inconsistent and had very poor results for the entire 10 year period. I think it would really help you if you seriously thought about some of the below...The reasons for my rubbish progress for 10 years was:

1. I had mixed goals. I wanted to gain lean muscle, be strong, be lean, be a certain weight etc.. I'd try and diet (in a wrong fashion, see below) and then get frustrated when I wasn't getting stronger. And then the next day I would be disappointed about how little muscle I had. I should have picked ONE GOAL and geared my whole energy and plan around that goal and simple forgot everything else.

The minute I decided my ONLY goal was to be 10% bodyfat, it felt as if the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I hit the weights hard, but I am not beating myself up if I don't progress because my weight and bodyfat is coming down each week and that's quite frankly ALL that matters, NOTHING else.

So I would encourage you to forget about the strongman competitions, about strength, about anything other than getting your weight down to the level that you want. There will be time later to focus on strength or any other goal you want to, but for now put every piece of your energy into one goal that is THE most important to you and that appears to be your bodyweight.

2. Take progressive steps to avoid the continual cycle of failing and picking yourself up. I was SO stupid for trying to keep eating ultra clean or trying complicated diet strategies. I wasn't ready for it and quite frankly it wasn't necessary. I probably started and stopped a diet about 200 times I swear and each time I felt like a piece of **** for not following through on my plan. My life changed when I bought Precision Nutrition. No calorie counting, no cycling of macronutrients - just a focus on eating clean, healthy food that tasted good, controlling portion sizes and some very simple rules around carbohydrates (you have to earn them). That's it and all of a sudden I went from 215 to 200 in about 3 months from just eating cleaner food and smaller portions. Then I moved onto counting calories using fitday, again not worrying so much about cycling any macros, just purely counting macros and calories and keeping things simple, again I dropped to about 190. Then, I hired Shelby Starnes who put my on a carb cycling plan and I am now down to 176. By the time I started working with shelby, even though carb cycling felt a bit over the top, I was so confident in my ability to know what was in foods and what the right foods were, it was pretty easy.

I guess I am saying be careful to not make things more complicated than it has to be for where you are at. If you have a lot of fat to lose and seem to be struggling with consistency, I wouldn't really be worrying about complicated methods of dieting. Eat less and eat clean CONSISTENTLY. Then when you plateau, start counting the calories and then the next level is specific dieting strategies. Daniel Roberts outlined exactly the same thing in this article(http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...ional-program/) and I could not agree with him any more.

3. Get a good guy helping you out on the diet front. I am sure your guy is good, I just wanted to make the point that having some experience lay down how to eat means the plan is solid and all you have to do is follow it. I used Unholy on the forums here and then Shelby Starnes and both are absolutely brilliant.

4.If you do struggle with consistency, CHANGE what you are doing. Why the **** I did the same thing over and over and over for 10 years is frickin beyond me. IF it didn't work 10 times, why do it over and over lol.

Just something to think about....

Daniel, thanks a ton man. The guy I'm working with is Josh Bryant out at Metroflex gym in Arlington. He laid my entire diet plan our for me, what to eat how much of it to eat, and how often to eat. I struggled doing it on my own because I ate TOO little. I was barely hitting 1000 calories a day, now I'm eating around 2500 and the weight is coming off. That's my number one goal, that's all I care about right now, like you said, it's my only goal right now. I do want to get stronger, and I do want to compete, but you're absolutely right, that'll come in time, surely. Things right now, they aren't complicated at all for me. Everything is laid out, all I gotta do is follow it, and right now things have been progressing. The scale has been going one way, and the weights I'm lifting are going another, both in the right direction. I have mentioned several times about hitting a brick wall and not progressing, but I've been reassured that we've got plenty of things to try to keep progressing in the right direction. Fortunately, the first thing we've tried so far has worked wonders.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thats all that matters then and it sounds as if you're right on track - keep making every day a great one!