The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    You've got some incredible support there and some some very obvious motivations to get to a healthy bodyweight and BMI. Just take it a day and a week at a time and things will come together.

Seeing as you have a trainer (is it a local one by the way?) who is handling your training and diet I won't try and give you too much advice etc.

But if you can rant, well so can I lol. There are a few things I want to say and I want to say them because they personally stopped me making progress for about 10 years. It pains me to even think about it, but I was massively inconsistent and had very poor results for the entire 10 year period. I think it would really help you if you seriously thought about some of the below...The reasons for my rubbish progress for 10 years was:

1. I had mixed goals. I wanted to gain lean muscle, be strong, be lean, be a certain weight etc.. I'd try and diet (in a wrong fashion, see below) and then get frustrated when I wasn't getting stronger. And then the next day I would be disappointed about how little muscle I had. I should have picked ONE GOAL and geared my whole energy and plan around that goal and simple forgot everything else.

The minute I decided my ONLY goal was to be 10% bodyfat, it felt as if the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I hit the weights hard, but I am not beating myself up if I don't progress because my weight and bodyfat is coming down each week and that's quite frankly ALL that matters, NOTHING else.

So I would encourage you to forget about the strongman competitions, about strength, about anything other than getting your weight down to the level that you want. There will be time later to focus on strength or any other goal you want to, but for now put every piece of your energy into one goal that is THE most important to you and that appears to be your bodyweight.

2. Take progressive steps to avoid the continual cycle of failing and picking yourself up. I was SO stupid for trying to keep eating ultra clean or trying complicated diet strategies. I wasn't ready for it and quite frankly it wasn't necessary. I probably started and stopped a diet about 200 times I swear and each time I felt like a piece of **** for not following through on my plan. My life changed when I bought Precision Nutrition. No calorie counting, no cycling of macronutrients - just a focus on eating clean, healthy food that tasted good, controlling portion sizes and some very simple rules around carbohydrates (you have to earn them). That's it and all of a sudden I went from 215 to 200 in about 3 months from just eating cleaner food and smaller portions. Then I moved onto counting calories using fitday, again not worrying so much about cycling any macros, just purely counting macros and calories and keeping things simple, again I dropped to about 190. Then, I hired Shelby Starnes who put my on a carb cycling plan and I am now down to 176. By the time I started working with shelby, even though carb cycling felt a bit over the top, I was so confident in my ability to know what was in foods and what the right foods were, it was pretty easy.

I guess I am saying be careful to not make things more complicated than it has to be for where you are at. If you have a lot of fat to lose and seem to be struggling with consistency, I wouldn't really be worrying about complicated methods of dieting. Eat less and eat clean CONSISTENTLY. Then when you plateau, start counting the calories and then the next level is specific dieting strategies. Daniel Roberts outlined exactly the same thing in this article(http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...ional-program/) and I could not agree with him any more.

3. Get a good guy helping you out on the diet front. I am sure your guy is good, I just wanted to make the point that having some experience lay down how to eat means the plan is solid and all you have to do is follow it. I used Unholy on the forums here and then Shelby Starnes and both are absolutely brilliant.

4.If you do struggle with consistency, CHANGE what you are doing. Why the **** I did the same thing over and over and over for 10 years is frickin beyond me. IF it didn't work 10 times, why do it over and over lol.

Just something to think about....
    Nice post!

@Mark - Your wife sounds amazing. I'm really glad she's there to support you so much. We could all use that. I don't really have anyone supporting my training purposes except my desire to teach my family by example. My sister and bro-in-law are squatting now and are roughly following what I tell them to do, and I know that the more successful I am the more inspired they will be to follow in my footsteps. I feel like I have all this knowledge I've gained here at WBB, but it's hard to get people to listen to me when I am average-looking myself, so I'm doing everything I can to change that. Maybe I can become a trainer one day and rather than train people to do curls (like the trainers at my gym) I can teach people to squat and diet properly haha.

I've got faith in you. You've seriously busted your ass for a while now. The drive inside of you will get you to your goals
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Big respect for what you've been and are going through. Guys like you are the heroes. No saying "its not fair, its not my fault" but just getting on with it. Just keep going.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Bench Day + other goodies and exciting news!

-BENCH PRESS W/PAUSE AT BOTTOM-
    170X5X2
    185X3X1 -TECHNICALLY A BENCH PR FOR WEIGHT AND REPS I GUESS. MY BENCH IS SO AWFUL IT MAKES ME CRY.

-BP WIDE GRIP-
    140X6X2

-BP CLOSE GRIP-
    140X6X2

-DUMBBELL FLY-
    25X12X4

-3-WAY DELT RAISES-
    20X10X3

-HAMMER CURLS-
    35X6X3

-PLANKS-
    40 SECONDS X 3

-SKULL CRUSHERS-
    65X8X3

-DEAD LIFT-
    225X5
    315X5
    395X2 -THIS IS WHAT I STRUGGLED WITH TUESDAY NIGHT, BUT TODAY...WAS SO NOT AS ISSUE AT ALL. FELT GREAT.
    225X10 TO FINISH THINGS UP

Workout felt really really good the whole time. More and more I'm feeling back in the groove. After tuesday night my thighs have been really sore from squats, but we're getting better. Tomorrow is squat day, horray!

Exciting News----- So fathers day is coming up, and it looks like the garage strongman factory is about to start getting built. I have atlas stone molds on their way to my house from Slater Stones as we speak. My wife ordered it for me. I've been looking at some platforms and getting ideas, won't be hard at all to manufacture. I'll get some pics up here in a week or so upon completion. The madness begins, and I'm so ready!

Weight today was 329. Last night we went to dinner for our year anniversary. Went to Chili's, then to a concert at the harbor near our house, and saw Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood (Both really good movies, looks like they MAY make another Robin Hood and continue the story, I sure hope so). Ate wings, sirloin, and ribs, even had chips and salsa, and an ice cream bar, still managed to show a loss on the scale afterwards this morning. Feeling good about that, I think the carbs I got in last night helped with the workout for sure.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I know how you feel with the benching. Mine is pretty weak compared to most of my other movements. Glad you're feeling back in the groove! That is great. Yeah Iron Man 2 was pretty good. I hope to see Robin Hood some time soon that looks awesome.

Haha stone heaven. That sounds fun.

Keep truckin' along.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    very solid lifting man. id like to be eating that stuff from chilis

ever tried not going for doubles/singles on deads? maxing all the time is rough

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    very solid lifting man. id like to be eating that stuff from chilis

Too rough...that's for damn sure. I've got to slow down, not max out, and just do my required work, not a bunch of crap thrown in there. Today knocked me on my ass, hard.

-Squats-
    Warm up sets, barx5, 135x5, 225x5
    Work set 245x5x5--1st 3 sets good, 4th and 5th not so much. I could feel form breaking down, I pushed thru, did my required work, and was done with squats.

-Leg Curls-
    140x8x3

-Leg Extensions-
    120x8x3

-Lat Pulls-
    70x10x4

-Rows-
    80x12x4

-Farmers Walk-
    70lb dumbbells, 60 yards, 3 times

Mistake...this workout, was right after yesterdays bench workout. I'm an idiot, I'm pushing too hard, thinking I can be superman and do way too much. I have got to learn control and to relax, stop pushing so hard, and get my schedule on track instead of pushing 2 hard workouts back to back. I'm not letting my body recoup at all. Slow and steady...I have got to learn that.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I like your go all out attitude but as you found out you can't go all out every single day. Still, the hard work is paying off and you will hit your goals with your great attitude.

Also, congrats on the anniversary and it sounds like you found a great wife who's very supportive.

Finally, I wanted to say thanks for sharing your story about your mother and brother. I don't want to ramble about things but I wanted to say don't give up on them. It takes awhile to correct bad habits and ideas I hope you can help things turn around for you mother.

I do that too a lot. Push too hard. For me I think a good deal of it stems from having a slip-up in my diet and then later on feeling that I have to push extra hard to get back on track. But anyway, good work man. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    I probably attempt maxes too often, hence my extremely rocked hip flexors lol. What kind of rep schemes do you like for deadlifts when not attempting a single/double maximum? I have a hard time trying to get in good repping sets for deads as opposed to just going all out in weight.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-15-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Incredible progression in here mark. You must be really focused. Those deads are stellar.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I like your go all out attitude but as you found out you can't go all out every single day. Still, the hard work is paying off and you will hit your goals with your great attitude.

Also, congrats on the anniversary and it sounds like you found a great wife who's very supportive.

Finally, I wanted to say thanks for sharing your story about your mother and brother. I don't want to ramble about things but I wanted to say don't give up on them. It takes awhile to correct bad habits and ideas I hope you can help things turn around for you mother.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's hard not going hard all the time, especially when my body says "please no more for now!"

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I do that too a lot. Push too hard. For me I think a good deal of it stems from having a slip-up in my diet and then later on feeling that I have to push extra hard to get back on track. But anyway, good work man. Keep it up.

I probably attempt maxes too often, hence my extremely rocked hip flexors lol. What kind of rep schemes do you like for deadlifts when not attempting a single/double maximum? I have a hard time trying to get in good repping sets for deads as opposed to just going all out in weight.
    It doesn't even stem from my diet, my diet is usually dead on at least 10 of the 12 days I cycle carbs, at least 10 days if not 12. It just stems from me pushing, wanting more movement on the scale, more than just a few pounds in a week, just more more more. I HAVE to get in to the mind set of long term progress. I know I'm hitting around 2-3 lbs a week, but even if it were 1 lb a week I'd still be on target for 52lbs in a year. I get so caught up with the damn scale moving more and more that I forget about letting my body talk to me, and letting it rest.
    I usually go 3x5 work sets for deadlifts with 60 seconds rest in between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Incredible progression in here mark. You must be really focused. Those deads are stellar.
    Thanks B. I appreciate you stopping by.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    very solid work mark.

as far as pushing yourself, i know what you mean. i hate taking days off.. i wish i could do weights 7days 2 hours a day.. but sadly i run out of muscle groups

House Lannister
    That bench/deadlift workout was pretty nuts, Mark. Keep it up!

Garage Lifter
    Mark you're doing very well and that early Father's day sounds like 3 or 4 Father's days rolled into one.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Mark,

I sincerely hope that both your mom and your brother get better. Feel free to omit an answer to this question, but has your brother started to workout yet? I am sure if he sees where you were before and where you are now that it would be pretty motivational for him. Also, your wife sounds like a hell of a person!! I hope one day my wife is as supportive of me as yours is of you! Good luck to you and your family.

Oh, and also keep up the sick workouts!

EDIT: I realized i read the page before this so i am kinda late haha
    Last edited by JRider23; 05-16-2010 at 11:01 AM.

TJW
    Great work lately Mark! I know times are tough, but just stick with it and remember that you have tons of support on here, as well as at home! I also know what it's like to want to go all out all the time. Thankfully, my Sheiko won't allow me to go over 90%.

BTW, I saw both Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood too. Personally, I liked Iron Man 2 more, mainly because Robin Hood had a lot of build-up in the movie, but I think it will pay-off if they do another one.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Great work lately Mark! I know times are tough, but just stick with it and remember that you have tons of support on here, as well as at home! I also know what it's like to want to go all out all the time. Thankfully, my Sheiko won't allow me to go over 90%.

BTW, I saw both Iron Man 2 and Robin Hood too. Personally, I liked Iron Man 2 more, mainly because Robin Hood had a lot of build-up in the movie, but I think it will pay-off if they do another one.
    I enjoyed IM 2 more as well, Robin Hood was good, but well they just didn't do much as far as showcasing Robin's talents. They showed him as an awesome leader though, as he always seems to play. Kevin Costner *grimace* even played a more exciting Robin in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for all the comments, much appreciated.

-Today I woke up, felt good. Got good sleep and felt good.
    -BIKE-
    40 mins moderate pace, 6.4 miles travelled.

It was hard to not pick up a single weight today but I told myself I'd rest except for cardio. I would like to get a solid weeks worth of strong cardio in this week, without going over board on lifting. Should have a decent weigh in tomorrow afternoon after sleep, we'll see eh?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Sounds like a good plan. I've been learning more and more though how I can't necessarily just follow a strict plan because my body might be responding in a way that tells me to do or not do something, and I just gotta take that into account and change things along the way. That being said, without the plan in the first place we'd be going nowhere =P Stay true bro.
    Lifting Journal

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    I grew up in Nottingham lol! Good ol' Robin Hood.
    Strong training mate, keep up the good work! I know what you mean about cardio only, you itch to go do some weights. But you gotta get that cardio down if ya gonna shift those pounds. Keep going!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Weigh In=326.8 Good Stuff
    Today I was lazy, felt good lounging around, and not rushing around and such. Felt really good getting sleep and resting. My body feels good, feels loose and good. This weekend, I want to do some outside cardio, I need to cut the grass and do yard work in the summer heat, so that'll help and get me moving. Also, going to the park Wednesday afternoon for some sprints, farmers walks with dumbbells, and pushing the kia around in a parking lot. I want to see 324 before Thursday. I'm gonna refeed Wednesday and Thursday but Wednesday I'm going to be very careful with what I eat, Thursday will be a pig out for sure.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    biking and weigh-in looking great man. sadly i dont have much to add but i know youre working hard

Good job on the weigh in!

Outside cardio is where it;s at man... Yesterday I just couldn't bring myself to go into the gym and do cardio, so I grabbed the bike and ended up doing a 33KM bike ride I enjoyed it so much.. Good 1.5-2 hours of activity too!

Keep up the hard work, it's paying off!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Sprints farmer's walks and car pushing FTW! That is where it is at haha. I like having sleepy/resty days, they are so necessary after all this work we do. Good job man, keep it up.
    Lifting Journal

Damn man, you have a very impressive DL!!!

Congrats on the continuous weight loss too. This is very cool that you are doing what you are doing to meet your goals. Too many people that are trying to lose weight avoid lifting weights like the plague because they think it will 'make them bigger', so they just do tons and tons of cardio......little do they know that lifting is the best way to recomp your body! Good stuff.

What is your overall weight goal anyway?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wednesday Weight In: 324, goal met for the week before carb up. Refeed went well, we got a massage Tuesday that was great as usual.
    Back at it today.
    -Squats-
    BWx10 in the mirror for form.
    135x10
    225x5x2
    295x5x1
    135x10

-SLDL-
    Never done these, so figured I'd check em out today.
    135x10
    225x5

-TRICEP ROPE PULL DOWNS-
    67.5lbsx10x3

-CHEST PULLS-
    92.5lbsx10x3

-SKULL CRUSHERS-
    65x6x3

-CARDIO-
    15 minutes dreadmill @ 4.0MPH
    6 Minutes bike medium intensity for cool down
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Did ya like the stiff deads? I always kinda stayed away from them, but my new routine included them and I find that I like them for lower back and hamstring development.