The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 15 of 111 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

I felt it really good in lower back and hamstrings. Liked them pretty good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Dang a massage sounds fantastic right now. Nice squats and sldl's. I haven't done those in a long time but I remember them being such a killer ham workout haha.

Keep up the progress!
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Thanks bro. There's been some development on the home front. Here's where we stand...
    Atlas Stones- en route to the casa, I'll need to build a platform, but I've got skematics all lined up, materials list finalized, no problem, need rubber mat.
    I need a flipping tire, need to call around some tractor shops to see if they've got some old crappy ones in their dump pile.
    I found a push/pull sled for $125 on ebay, the guy makes them, looked pretty good, for $125, can't beat that.
    Making some homeade sandbags
    Found a half rack for squats, holds 1000 lbs, looks good
    Found a oly barbell and weight set for $479+, will be used for squats, DL, and bench for now until I buy seperate barbells.
    Need to find a decent but cheap bench.
    After all that...I'll be rockin full time at home, non stop. Right now I'm shooting for strongman stuff, finish stone stuff, get tire, sandbags and sled, that'll be great for my cardio and conditioning work. Also, if you guys run in your neighborhood, check out mapmyrun.com. You can map your route, find out how far you run and all. Great tool. I'm making several routes to play with, one for quick runs, one for longer runs and one that's acceptable (as a parent, and no heavy traffic) for my boys to ride their bikes on while we jog. Awesome site.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

-ROUND 2-
    TREADMILL (It's slowly becoming more fun)
    30 minutes, 2.02 miles @ average 4.2MPH. PR for me, as sad as it may be...2 miles in 30 minutes is my PR. My mile PR is like 14:40ish. I rarely run, but I've been reading up about Chi Running, and it's improved my running stamina. I've had great success with heavy jogging/running cardio sessions, I want to play with that theory again by adding heavy cardio in to my sessions.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I didn't get a good start today, got to work on time, I'm usually 30 minutes early, and that's after my workout, so needless to say, no early workout, I probably needed the extra rest.

-Bench Press-
    Bar x 10
    135 x 15
    135 x 5 for speed and intensity
    165 x 10
    165 x 6 x 2 with pause at the bottom
    155 x 6 x 2 close grip
    135 x 5 Really slow coming down, explode through, 5th rep stuck, was able to grind it out, all reps hit.

-V Bar Pulls Standing-
    87.5lbs x 20 x 3 sets

-EZ Bar Curls-
    75 x 8 x 3

-Reverse Grip EZ Bar Lat Raises-
    45 x 8 x 2

-Skull Crushers-
    70 x 6 x 2

-Standing Dumbbell Press-
    65 x 4 reps each arm

Didn't get to rest much, felt more like a damn circuit or complexes than anything. Workout done in around 30-35 minutes.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

So you are not gonna go to the gym anymore and instead use your home gym? Sounds like it's all coming together! Nice short and intense workout there.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    So you are not gonna go to the gym anymore and instead use your home gym? Sounds like it's all coming together! Nice short and intense workout there.
    The plan right now is stick to what I'm doing. It's working. But...I want to start building my home gym and make a transition in to pure home gym goodness. Carb cycling is going great for me, squats and dead lifts are getting heavier, I want to implement more arms and chest work, and more cardio. I think it'd be so awesome to be able to walk out the garage door, and be working out in seconds. I'll have all the tools I need to succeed and continue making the progress to reach my goals. I'm anxious to get my stone mold and platform built to start with that insane conditioning/cardio workouts. I wonder how tabata atlas stones would look, lol.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Haha I see. Sounds cool. Yeah I do like the idea of a nice home gym setup. If I'm ever in the position to be able to really do something like that I will. It'll have to be many years down the road though lol. I don't like people curling in my squat rack... I dislike the lame music that is played at the gym (could use an iPod but it is a real hassle for me and my earphones just broke too) and with a home gym I could have my own jambox playing cool tunes... I dislike the lame rules about chalk and shoeless lifting, and the anal managers who have their managers tell people that they can't bring protein drinks into the gym anymore, only water... One thing I do like is the milfs with huge racks, but... I could do without that if all the other nuisances were not an issue anymore haha.

/end rant in Mark's journal

So anyway... atlas stone tabatas would be intense dude. It probably would only work with stones a weight that you could get done at least 7-8 times in the 20 seconds, otherwise it would just be too hard to fit well into that 20 second time-frame. I've never lifted those things though.

Good luck with everything.
    Lifting Journal

I'm completely up for the insane stone tabatas, lol, I'm sure I'll be playing with all kinds of workouts and such once I'm fully furnished. And hey, you can rant in my journal anytime buddy, my casa is su casa, or something to that effect.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Haha awesome man. And hey, if you ever feel the need to rant about scraped up bloody forearms from lifting atlas stones or something like that, feel free to use my journal lol.
    Lifting Journal

Holy Cardio batman!!!!!
    All I did today was cardio, and actually enjoyed most of it.
    -TREADMILL-
    1 minute warm up, then wanted to see about my mile time...
    12 minutes, 1.2 miles, which is pretty good for me considering I'm fat. That'll be a PR, lol.
    5 minutes walk down

-STAIRCLIMBER- aka satan
    3 minutes, roughly 90 steps per minute, I hate it, I really really hate it.

-ELIPTICAL-
    10 minutes at an average of 4.6MPH, was up to 19.9MPH at one time going crazy for 30 seconds.

-TURKISH GET UP-
    Never done these before, will try them more often, they're kind of fun, in a sick way.
    Used a 35lb dumbbell, which was probably a bit much to start with.
    4 reps each side

-HAMMER STRENGTH BACK EXTENSIONS-
    8x1
    16x1 with 15lb medicine ball, I held the ball, did a rep, went down sat the ball down, did a rep without it, went down picked it up, did a rep...etc.

Felt good, I was happy with the 12 minute mile for now, I didn't think I'd get it but I pushed thru it and made it out alive. It was one of those dragging yourself out of the gym type workouts, and I didn't lift. Had a lot of fun.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

TJW
    Good work lately Mark! Way to tough it out and do cardio and your home gym sounds like it will be awesome!

Short Complex, just enough to tax my body and get a sweat on during my lunch break.

V-Bar Pulls-97.5lbs
    Deadlift-225lbs
    bent over rows-95lbs
    military press-95lbs
    ez bar curls-45lbs
    front raises-45lbs

Reps done during the circuit...8 reps, 7, 6, 5, 4, 2

Done. I don't work tomorrow night, going to the part for some outside play time with the boys, maybe a wilderness trail, car pulling possibly. Training class for work on overcoming negativity in law enforcement...oh boy.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    very nice work man, sorry ive missed the past few

you know you love that stairclimber keep those hands off the rails to make it really fun. 90 steps/min is a little ridiculous though...there is no way anyone can do that without pulling themselves along which defeats the purpose imo
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-24-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Workouts are looking solid Mark. The home gym you're building sounds awesome too, I'd like to make one myself some day.

Complexes = loads of fun. I actually really enjoy them when I get a chance to do them. Makes things interesting, for sure.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Garage Lifter
    Mark you're a cardio/condtioning machine!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    very nice work man, sorry ive missed the past few

you know you love that stairclimber keep those hands off the rails to make it really fun. 90 steps/min is a little ridiculous though...there is no way anyone can do that without pulling themselves along which defeats the purpose imo
    Thanks man, maybe that's why I can't last longer than 3 minutes on the stairclimber. Ours doesn't have a speed setting, it just gives you a speed read out of what you're doing in MPH, I had to count the steps for a minute to see what I was at. What SPM do you recommend for a good cardio workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Workouts are looking solid Mark. The home gym you're building sounds awesome too, I'd like to make one myself some day.
    Thanks Clover. I know I'm anxious to get the home gym set up going, will at least have atlas stones there in a week or so, that'll give me a good conditioning workout to do, hopefully I'll be able to find a tire to add to it for this summer and a sledge hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Complexes = loads of fun. I actually really enjoy them when I get a chance to do them. Makes things interesting, for sure.
    Yeah, I haven't done them in a few weeks, but they sure do get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Mark you're a cardio/condtioning machine!
    Ha, I wish my conditioning was a whole lot better, hopefully it'll get there.
    Last edited by Mark!; 05-24-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    mark im sorry i dont know what I was smoking yesterday, i completely misread and comprehended that speed -- i am doing 157 steps/min. i have no idea what that translates to in mph... but i certainly wasnt at this level at the beginning. i couldnt do more than 10-15m at a time intially.. ramped up to 20-30m sessions over 2 weeks.. sorry i feel stupid.

edit: i knew i was going crazy, i do 57-60 steps/min depending on measured HR at the time. i knew 90 sounded REALLY high. you must have been busting a nut there, that is some intense mastering of stairs
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-25-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    mark im sorry i dont know what I was smoking yesterday
    Whatever it was, I want some

Mark - Looking real good in here. I like the short intense stuff. That short complex looked swell. Keep on hittin' it hard dude!
    Lifting Journal

Weigh in Today, 323. Total since Feb is 47lbs lost so far.

Forgot to add yesterdays cardio session at the park..
    1.89 miles untimed. I jogged/ran the .56mi shorter trail once, walked it once, then walked the longer trail once. Had a lot of fun. Hopefully next week we'll take a hurricane harbor trip, sweet long day of swimming, heck yeah.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I really like the looks of that cardio day man. I used to be all about lifting and no cardio whatsoever, but ever since I started with the martial arts, I have been very into conditioning. Awesome stuff man!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

WOW! That's a lot weight in less than four months. Great job!!!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Weigh in Today, 323. Total since Feb is 47lbs lost so far.

Forgot to add yesterdays cardio session at the park..
    1.89 miles untimed. I jogged/ran the .56mi shorter trail once, walked it once, then walked the longer trail once. Had a lot of fun. Hopefully next week we'll take a hurricane harbor trip, sweet long day of swimming, heck yeah.
    That's amazing Mark! Keep at it!

This week has been jam packed with stuff not related to working out apparently. My 3 boys were home schooled, so this coming school year they wanted to experience public schools. We have a really good school system here. We went an enrolled them, and we were VERY happy with everyone we met at the schools. Anyway, on to the good stuff.
    Had to call in to work since I got practically zero sleep due to a last minute dr appt Friday morning.
    Friday night workout in the garage. (Atlas stone mold will be here Tuesday)
    -PUSH UPS-
    20x2 When I couldn't do anymore I dropped to my knees and kept going.)

-DUMBBELL ROWS-
    30lbs x 20 x 3

-ZOTTMAN CURLS-
    30lbs x 10 x 2

-DUMBBELL SQUAT-
    35lbs x 10 x 2

-CALF RAISES- (Conveniently we have a ledge that's about 3 inches tall in our garage, perfect for calf raises)
    20x2

-DUMBBELL OHP-
    30lbs x 10 x 2

-PWO CARDIO-
    .80 miles in 11 minutes. Was just a slow paced jog around the area, sucked doing it after the workout. Surprised I didn't get questioned, several cops passed by, no problems though. Guy jogging at 3am in a hoodie and beanie, probably looked suspicious.

Everything going good, looking for a decent weigh in Tuesday night. Hopefully I'll get under 319, which will be a PR for weight loss this year.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May