Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

That is some amazing weight loss, keep it up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    That is some amazing weight loss, keep it up!!
    Thanks brother man. Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement.

-Todays Workout-
    SQUAT
    135 x 5
    225 x 5 x 3
    245 x 3 x 2
    285 x 2 x 2
    315 x 1

DEADLIFT
    225 x 5
    265 x 5
    315 x 3
    385 x 1

GHETTO T BAR ROWS
    180 x 5 x 3

CHEST PULLS
    97.5 x 6 x 5

ROPE PULLS
    67.5 x 6 x 5

FACE PULLS
    47.5 x 10 x 2

SKULL CRUSHERS
    70 x 5 x 3

NOTES: Workout felt really good, 315 felt heavy, so I didn't push squatting anything heavier than that, but that's close to my max, or what used to be my max. 385 felt pretty heavy, it was slow locking out but got there. I can definitely feel I've lost a bit due to the cardio and stressing the weight loss instead of heavy lifts the past week, but it's my goal...I need to get my weight down A LOT before worrying about strength. As long as I can keep my deadlift about 350, squat above 315, and get my bench to increase a little, I'll be happy meeting 250 for weight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Thanks brother man. Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement.

-Todays Workout-
    SQUAT
    135 x 5
    225 x 5 x 3
    245 x 3 x 2
    285 x 2 x 2
    315 x 1

DEADLIFT
    225 x 5
    265 x 5
    315 x 3
    385 x 1

GHETTO T BAR ROWS
    180 x 5 x 3

CHEST PULLS
    97.5 x 6 x 5

ROPE PULLS
    67.5 x 6 x 5

FACE PULLS
    47.5 x 10 x 2

SKULL CRUSHERS
    70 x 5 x 3

NOTES: Workout felt really good, 315 felt heavy, so I didn't push squatting anything heavier than that, but that's close to my max, or what used to be my max. 385 felt pretty heavy, it was slow locking out but got there. I can definitely feel I've lost a bit due to the cardio and stressing the weight loss instead of heavy lifts the past week, but it's my goal...I need to get my weight down A LOT before worrying about strength. As long as I can keep my deadlift about 350, squat above 315, and get my bench to increase a little, I'll be happy meeting 250 for weight.
    Nice, nice workout. Loving the volume on those squats. I can't wait to get a 300 1RM for squats. Once I can do 200x20, I'm going to give it a try.

Do you usually have issues with lockout. For me, if I can break it from the ground and get it about halfway up my shins, that weight is going up. How do you like the ghetto rows? That may be in my future soon, but i'm not sure. Have you ever done pendlay rows?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    As long as I can keep my deadlift about 350, squat above 315, and get my bench to increase a little, I'll be happy meeting 250 for weight.
    That seems like the right mentality. Keen and focused on your main goal here. Good session Mark. It's good to listen to your body, something I have been learning a lot lately haha.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I can't wait to get a 300 1RM for squats. Once I can do 200x20, I'm going to give it a try.
    Whoa dude, 200 x 20 to me seems quite a bit more impressive than 300 x 1 haha. I'd think a 300 x 1 would be pretty easy at that point, even at worst case scenario where you breathed a lot during reps *shrug*
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 05-30-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Nice, nice workout. Loving the volume on those squats. I can't wait to get a 300 1RM for squats. Once I can do 200x20, I'm going to give it a try.

Do you usually have issues with lockout. For me, if I can break it from the ground and get it about halfway up my shins, that weight is going up. How do you like the ghetto rows? That may be in my future soon, but i'm not sure. Have you ever done pendlay rows?
    I do barbell rows, my understanding is that they're the same? I really like them, but like ghetto rows too, I've always done them, they're fun. For lockout, I'm pretty much the same as you, just a bit higher. If I get it to just above my knee, I just keep pulling, throw my hips in to it and I'm usually golden. 415 a few weeks back stopped mid thigh but I squeezed and kept pulling until it was locked. I worked on pulling hard and fast, but found that if I pull slow and steady on my 1rm, I have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    That seems like the right mentality. Keen and focused on your main goal here. Good session Mark. It's good to listen to your body, something I have been learning a lot lately haha.
    Whoa dude, 200 x 20 to me seems quite a bit more impressive than 300 x 1 haha. I'd think a 300 x 1 would be pretty easy at that point, even at worst case scenario where you breathed a lot during reps *shrug*
    Heck yeah man, my main number one goal...weight loss, gotta have it. I'm trying to listen more to my body but I'm stubborn, my knee tells me "please sir, no more..." but I usually don't listen. Well...right now...it hurts a bit and I think is inflamed, having to take excedrin and trying Flex-a-min now to see how that works. Hello eliptical and bike for a few weeks. 200x20 would definitely be more impressive in my opinion. I wonder how 225x20 would feel...maybe I can attempt that some day.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    Really big workout again. I can definitely tell that the conditioning work is paying off, just by looking at your volume and exercise selections.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

No doubt, huge effort Mark.

Your workout wore me out just reading about it. Also, you have a good attitude by setting a top priority on cutting weight. Most of us try to go for it all and have a rough time with it (I'm guilty as can be on this).
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 05-30-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Really big workout again. I can definitely tell that the conditioning work is paying off, just by looking at your volume and exercise selections.
    I feel better after my workouts, so it's paying off big time in the gym. I'm hoping to add burpees back in to the rotation without dying soon, we'll see how well the conditioning works then, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    No doubt, huge effort Mark.
    Thanks Coke, always a pleasure seeing you stop by.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Your workout wore me out just reading about it. Also, you have a good attitude by setting a top priority on cutting weight. Most of us try to go for it all and have a rough time with it (I'm guilty as can be on this).
    It sucks coming to the realization that I can't lose weight, and be the hulk at the same time, but I've got to focus on long term. If I can cut the weight down, I can build my body up to what I want it to be easier. I guess it's sort of like tearing something down only to turn around and rebuild it, cleaner, faster, strong, and more efficiently.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    I do barbell rows, my understanding is that they're the same? I really like them, but like ghetto rows too, I've always done them, they're fun. For lockout, I'm pretty much the same as you, just a bit higher. If I get it to just above my knee, I just keep pulling, throw my hips in to it and I'm usually golden. 415 a few weeks back stopped mid thigh but I squeezed and kept pulling until it was locked. I worked on pulling hard and fast, but found that if I pull slow and steady on my 1rm, I have better luck.
    Yea, barbell rows are the same (basically) as Pendlay. I just find that my low back and glutes/hams limit me in the barbell row (I do rows the day after squats), so I've been thinking about doing the ghetto rows.

Today....is cardio day. I don't mind cardio much anymore, I usually see some good results on the scale after a nice cardio day, so we'll see if we can break my previous PR of 319.4 this week. I've got until Wednesday morning to get it done, we'll see. My knee, today is pretty much not an issue at all. It hurt a little while doing leg presses, and hurt a little doing leg extensions, but was only during the movement, not afterwards. My hams were freakin on fire though, love that feeling. So...here we go.

-Eliptical-
    30 minutes of pure fun finished with 3 miles. First ten minutes I do HIIT pushing 15MPH for 20 seconds, then 8.0 for 40 seconds. After that I stayed on pace to hit my 3 miles in 30 minutes goal, accomplished. No knee problems.

-Bike-
    23.17 minutes for 4 miles. I got in the zone at 18 minutes and just started busting ass for a solid minute. I was at 150 RPM's for the entire minute, and it was awesome. Just kept pushing and chugging along. Good stuff.

-Leg Press-
    I thought about just going for 291lbs, 3pps+ the 21lb start weight on the machine, but figured what the hell, I've babied the knee, it's been feeling great, let's see if we can go 4pps+10lbs/side+21lb starting weight for a total of 401lbs. Problem here...I wanted to go for high reps, did it anyway.
    401 x 20,15,10
    Pain wise...none in the knee at least. Hams...? Yeah, but good pain, the nice burning kind, you know?

-Calf Raises-
    401 x 20 x 2 right after leg press

-Leg Extensions-
    100 x 20 x 2 I wanted to go a little higher in weights, but at 160 I felt a bit of pressure, a little less at 130 so I dropped to 100 on the stack, it felt nice, plus the high reps probably worked me better.

Notes: Good solid work today, felt great. Legs feel good. Oh...Atlas Stones...they got here Saturday. The dang fed ex thing said June 3rd...it's almost as bad as the USPS. They let you down only to surprise you with a knock at the door 5 days earlier then expected with a package, love it! I can't open it, since my boys gotta wrap it and finish their cards, but I'm hoping to at least get it Tuesday so I can try my hand at making a stone. I'll be sure to put up some pics of the process anyhow whenever it happens, should be a fun adventure anyway.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Nice burning kind of pain... hmm, I can't say I'm a fan of burning pain even if it is nice lol. Good deal with the stones. Pics for sure with those!

Keep up the good work.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Intense cardio session Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Nice burning kind of pain... hmm, I can't say I'm a fan of burning pain even if it is nice lol. Good deal with the stones. Pics for sure with those!
    Keep up the good work.
    Cmon lil bro...you know....it's the good kind of pain, lets you know you're making progress, sculpting, changing, growing, all that good stuff. Will definitely get some pics up of the stones from start to finish buddy, thanks for stopping by.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Intense cardio session Mark.
    You're tellin me. I got off the eliptical and felt like I'd been hit by a train! And my butt always goes to sleep on the bike...maybe I could get one of those donuts that older people have to use? haha.

-Short 2nd Round workout-
    Yesterday I did some deadlifts...385 was a bit rough so I wanted to pull some today.
    225 x 10
    285 x 6
    315 x 5
    385 x 4 Felt good, fingers are sore from Friday night, somehow I managed to get a blister on my finger from dumbbells in the garage, so I started using chalk, but it was too later I guess. 385 was good, smooth, BAM popped it in to place each rep.

-Deficit Deads on 2 45lb plates-
    225 x 10
    285 x 6
    315 x 4

Kept it short and sweet, didn't do too much, still wanting to stay tender on the knee, not going balls to the wall just yet with it, especially after the leg presses earlier. I was thinking about squats yesterday, I felt really loose and flexible when doing them, I usually have issues with tightness and not being able to just start out at depth, but yesterday was really nice and easy on depth. I could tell I was going below each rep.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Nice pulls bro. Deficits looking nice!

And yeah I do know what you mean. I really only like that kind of pain in my upper body though. Things like bicep/chest haha. Although I do love the feeling of destroyed quads while eating PWO. I'm just thinking "man I know this food is going to repair that **** right now lol"
    Lifting Journal

Banned
    mark, excellent past few. sorry i missed those sessions.. im liking those deficit deads!!

Thanks guys. Tim, question. I feel my weight loss peaks about 4-5 days in to a carb cycle, then after about 8 or so days, it isn't AS progressive. In your opinion, should I refeed more often? What about a cheat high carb meal somewhere in between to see if it doesn't rev my metabolism back up? I find that if I do sneak a few carbs in here and there...it seems as if my metabolism turns up a notch. Here's what I'm doing in detail.

12 days carb depletion...
    M1-eggs and sausage or turkey bacon
    M2-chicken and green beans or broccoli, sometimes steak or salmon.
    M3-chicken/beef/fish, green beans/spinach/broccoli.
    M4-pepperoni and cheese
    M5-lean ground beef patty

What if I throw in a small clean carb meal somewhere in there after about 6,7 days? Or should I consider lowering the cycle days down to say...10 days carb deficit with 2 days carb up. I feel good, really good. I think I'm in for an all time low weigh in this week, maybe I'm just jumping the gun a bit. I read that a good way to revamp the metabolism demon is to have a good 3-4 days of carb eating, well...I did that while on my cruise so maybe I'm just over analyzing this. Maybe I'll just wait and see how things look after this next carb up this week, and then re-assess things 12 days later to check my progress. My mind isn't slowing down this morning, haha. My apologies for rambling. I'm off to bed, maybe even sleep!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Damnit! So..I was laying here....told you my mind was running in 5th gear...thinking about what I'd changed lately about diet. Nothing...except I added tic tacs...a boat load of them in fact. Not...NOT a good idea. I've seen some websites that say .5 carb per piece...ok that's not bad but let's do the math... .5g/piece x 60 pcs (the big pack) equals 30g carbohydrates, now let's say I've eaten 4 of the big packs, 60pcs, each at .5g carbs...screw me six ways from Sunday. 120g carbs. I knew it was too good to be true.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    hmm well what is the real rate of weight movement over the past 12 days? if you are seeing a reasonable linear rate of decline and improvement in the mirror, dont change a thing.

if you are truly stagnate, i would consider reevaluating your setup. i have to be honest -- i did not like low carbing for fat loss. i did it last year and it really hurt my overall size and strength while burning fat. regardless... since youre making progress as is, no reason to change but it something you can consider a few more months down the road when you need a real change. so how many total grams of f/c/p are you taking in daily and how many on your refeed? it looks like youre trying to VLC carb except for veggie/cheese intake. 420 cals of carbs isnt really going to hurt you that bad for 1 day.... i certainly would stop doing that (lol) now that youre aware tho.

in summary, to connect these thoughts, i think that if youre 0 carbing except for veggies for 11 days and refeeding on the 12th, i think thats too long between refeeds. in that refeed though -- and I want to explicitly say that i'm no shelby, alberto, or alex knowledge-wise -- you want to keep it 100% clean to rice, ww pasta, or potatoes.

like if youre 80/55/275 consisting of f/c/p exactly without exception at a deficit putting you at a 1-2lbs per week of loss... on the 7th or 10th (depending on how you FEEL, not how the scale is) day falling as a rest day prior to a heavy lifting day, i would place a refeed of 35/275/275. in fact, it could very well fall on the 12th or 14th day. in my oh so fledgling experience, you cant refeed on a schedule. it has to be when its necessary to really make it beneficial. so if you think you need one.. think twice, "am i being a pussy?" in several cases, yes, I was being a pussy and refed when I shouldnt have.. but there is only one way to learn your body.. have to experiment to learn the tell-tales of when.
    Last edited by f=ma; 05-31-2010 at 08:00 AM.

TJW
    Great work lately Mark! Your dedication to this weight loss is impressive and I'm jealous of how easily you can make yourself do cardio. I struggle to get myself to do even 10 minutes. Keep up the great work!

Tim, thanks so much for the help man, I really really appreciate it.
    Gatorman, cardio has never come easy to me, haha. I have to push myself past that turn around point. The first 15 minutes I'm thinking stop stop stop stop stop, but once I get passed a certain point I don't care anymore, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, just keep breathing, like Gimley from Lord of the Rings..."Just keep breathing, that's the key..." Ha that little dwarf inspires me every day.

Monday night, I had a hard time focusing on working out. I did some jump rope, and medicine ball slams, it was a short, quick, hard, workout. I can't jump rope for crap apparently and just ended up throwing the jump rope and doing medicine ball slams.

Today, I had a good workout, haha. I was making an atlas stone and sweating like crazy. Things went pretty well, or so I think, we'll find out soon enough I suppose. I'm going to make another soon with a finer concrete. The concrete I bought is ultra high strength stuff, and has quite a bit of gravel in it. I know nothing about concrete, just bought the high strength stuff and went with that. I'll use it, no worries, but I'd like to have a nice, smooth stone too. I had a thought though...what am I going to do with these stones when I don't want them anymore? Or if I never use the lighter ones...do they just become yard ornaments? I could probably donate them to the gym, or some crossfit place. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I got some pictures of the process, I'll post them once we've got a stone. Tomorrow heading to a water park for the day, will be a blast, have some fun, burn some calories in the water, and eat good. Looking forward to a great next few days. Tomorrow is weigh in, we shall see.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

TJW
    I look forward to seeing the pictures of the atlas stones. Good job getting some work in yesterday too!

Weigh In- 317.8!!!! New PR as far as weight loss. Got two days of eating good carbs, and a few bad ones, ha.
    The stone, actually came out pretty good I think. The bottom is a little rough but I think it'll smooth out quite nicely. I want to weigh it and see where we're at eventually.
    Below is the stone materials I used. I've got a tire, but I found another one that'll work a lot better that I used you'll see in the other pictures, fibers for strength, the mold, duct tape, concrete mixing bag (worked pretty good actually), silicone spray and a block to separate the mold(thanks Steve Slater for including this).

The mold, put together, sitting in the tire ready to go. So far the process is incredibly going smoothly.

Started pouring the concrete for the mold.

Topped off, ready to let that baby sit for a few hours.

And here's the finished product. I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out really, was't hard to do at all. Slater sends a packet with the mold that sets it all out for you, step by step, really easy to do. I want to make a few changes to my setup, I want a better way to sit the mold in the tire, or a different tire or something. I'm worried the stone may have bottomed out a bit once I had it full, which isn't good for the sides. I didn't notice any flat parts on the mold, it feels perfectly round. The mold says it's for a 175lb stone, I used 3 80lb bags, not sure about the weight really, haha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    Awesome stone Mark!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    that stone is really fing cool. nice work. excellent weigh in also. did you decide how you were going to handle your refeeds?

that measurement of 175lbs probably uses an assumption about the concrete density. if the stuff you bought has a higher density of ingredient then it surely weighs more than 175lbs.. especially considering you used 240lbs of concrete.