The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 22 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

Stay the course bro, you will be moving closer and closer to where you want to be again. If it was easy then everyone will have what they want and be all set. Just keep going at it, good luck Mark.

Thanks a lot Coke! Much appreciated.

Thursday night went to a buddies for an old school garage work out. Kettlebells, dumbbells, tire flipping, tire beating, heavy bag work, etc. Was a good hour and a half long work out, wasn't too crazy, was just right though. Enough to get me gassed but not totally kill me. Felt good being back there.

Tonight wanted to hit cardio heavy, did just that.
    45 mins elliptical, felt good, got real sore, then went numb near the end to finish it out.
    -Dumbbell Press-
    45x20x2
    65x10x1
    80x5x2

-HS Chest Press-
    90x6x2

Was a good workout, feeling great afterwards. I'm playing serious ball with this attempt. Logging everything I put in my mouth food/drink wise, logging all my workouts and such. Using myfitnesspal.com to do it, it's geared for people trying to lose weight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    great job Mark
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I love the sound of "Old School Garage Workout." That would be a great journal title.
    Back to basics is good. Nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Today went back in to the garage. Stupid garage door is broke, one of the rollers popped out because the door is ghetto rigged, thank you previous owner for not taking the time to fix the damn thing correctly, so garage door down, 95 degrees outside, probably over 100 in the garage.

In garage-
    -165lb Atlas Stone-
    5x4 Loaded to 4 foot platform

Back Yard
    -450lb Tire Flips-
    5x5

-10lb sledge hammer-
    Done in a bit of complex sort of.
    7 reps right side, 7 reps left side
    6 reps right side, 6 reps left side
    etc etc all the way to
    1 rep each side
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Interesting ordeal man, similar thing happened to me with one of my garage doors, got to replace the damn thing.

Good job for both days.

Keep up the strong sessions!

Banned
    Hey mark did you ever get additional stones made? What are you using for a platform? Good sessions, keep it up!

I haven't made any other stones besides the ones that come in around 170lbs. I have one I made for a buddy that we use at his house for squats, carrying and other things, and the one at my house I use for conventional stone work. I need to make another for my back yard to carry and such. For a platform I built a platform out of 2x4's, just 4 legs, and a top, strongly braced by several 2x4's and anchored in to the wall. It looks kind of crappy, but I can get on it, jump up and down, it ain't goin no where. It's about 4 feet tall. I want to get some old pallets and put in the back yard to use out side next, heard they work well, or an old barrel.

So after sitting on the side of the bed contemplating my next move after the 3rd straight day of no progress on the scale, I had a thought. I felt really, really good. My clothes are fitting looser already, I'm getting my energy back, I'm feeling good. I thought about what I was doing differently. I'm not zero carbing it, and I'm not lifting heavy. So, I decided I have to lift heavy again like I was when I was seeing great progress on the scale, in addition to my diet. Today I started easing myself back in to the big lifts, rows, deadlifts, etc. Felt good, but didn't push it too hard.

-Lateral Rows-
    150x20x2
    Struggled on the last few reps on the last set, but it felt good squeezing them out, real good.

-Dead Lifts-
    225x5x5
    1st set felt good, 2nd, I thought about it too much, didn't feel as good, 3rd, 4th, 5th were amazing. Wasn't heavy, was smooth and good.

-Dragon Flags-
    8x2 with very slow descentions, keeping everything as tight as I could.

-20 minutes steady treadmill-
    3.0 speed with 3.0 incline

-Push Ups-
    5x2

Here's my brain picker for the evening. I get about 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Would me working out for the past 3 days straight hinder my weight loss at all? I wouldn't think so, but what do I know. Thanks everyone for stopping in, glad to see ya'll around agian.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Welcome back to the dark side. Glad to see you lifting again.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

No workout planned today, but need to fix the garage door when I get home around 6am, so that's on the list, gotta do that so I can move the excursion in to the garage, and unload my squat rack and bench. Bought it off craigslist with some resistance bands and 300lbs of weights for $240. Got to get everything situated and the garage all cleaned up before I can do anything though.

Weigh In-338.4
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage is fixed, weight bench set up, everything was ready for tonights work out. It feels awesome working out, an actual work out, in the garage. Door cranked open, music up, chalk flying, metal crashing. Can't wait to hit it again Friday, Thursday I'll be at the V Center for some conditioning work. Good thing about this is the wife joins in the workouts with me, so it's good all around.

-Deadlift-
    135 x 20 for feel/warm up.
    225 x 5 x 5, speed and explosiveness being key factors.
    265 x 3 x 2, speed, 9 seconds per rep, 6 seconds rest between sets.

-Zerchers- I've really started to enjoy these, the tightness and core stretch and workout I get is really nice.
    135 x 5 x 5 (+5 reps last set for ass kicker) Done deep, ATF style.

-Good Mornings-
    135 x 5 x 2 (+5 on last set)

-Skull Crushers-
    35 x 10 x 2 (+10 reps on last set, deep, slow, burning)

N: I think tonights work out went pretty well. I didn't get as much volume as I'd like, but I think I got quite a bit accomplished. I'm still easing back in to lifting semi heavy, so I guess it's all good. I feel great, again, not too exhausted but taxed. I need to add to the collection in the garage, need more plates and at least one more 7ft bar. But, it's all coming along. Can't wait to hit everything in one day, stones, tire flips, sledgehammer, heavy bag, and weights, whoo.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    G.
    How do you like those good mornings? They help your squat at all?

TJW
    Great work Mark! I'm glad you're garage gym is coming full circle. Can't wait to see the full workout with everything being used. Keep up the good work and the weight will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    How do you like those good mornings? They help your squat at all?
    Time will tell. I haven't included them regularly enough to get any gains off of them, but they're in my routine to stay for now, will track progress for dead lift progression and squat progression though.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Great work Mark! I'm glad you're garage gym is coming full circle. Can't wait to see the full workout with everything being used. Keep up the good work and the weight will drop.
    Thanks man, it feels good being able to walk in to the garage and get a full workout. I've got some more things to add but I've made great progress with getting what I need. Heavier dumbbells, and more plates for sure.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

It's good to see the old Mark back with all your enthusiasm.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Good zerchers man. I love those movements, i am going to cycle them into my training pretty soon I think. I like doing them off pins because it really teaches you to stay tight throughout the lift. Just bring an extra pair of shorts to the gym because you might shart in them

Looks like you got your weight moving in the right direction again. Keep it up!!!

Garage training appears to be going great, glad to hear it Mark.

Garage Lifter
    Good to see your excitement about training
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Last night hit it at a buddies place, kettlebell hell.

Kettlebell swings
    30lb x 20
    45lb x 20
    53lb x 20
    63lb x 20

kettlebell clean and press
    30lb x 10
    45lb x 6
    53lb x 6
    63lb x 3
    73lb x 5

kettlebell rows
    30lb x 6
    45lb x 6
    53lb x 6
    63lb x 6

Kettlebell Squats, each arm
    45lb x 10 each side
    53lb x 10 each side
    63lb x 6 each side
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

TJW
    Crazy kettlebell work Mark! Looks like a solid session.

Had a lot of fun doing kettlebells.

Well, I'm about to embark upon a whole different part of my life. I'm going to start on a diet that has had a lot of success if followed closely and to a T. I've already done 2 days of loading plus administered the drops, but tomorrow I start on my HCG diet. I've talked to the Dr and a lot of people who've had great success on it, and decided to give it a whirl. I'll be closely monitoring everything, and continuing to work out. We shall see how it goes. Everyone I've spoken to has had great success on it, and those who hate it have never tried it on a legit level, or at all for that matter. We'll see.

Tonight
    Cardio 3.8 sustained for 30 minutes.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

What is the HCG diet?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

House Lannister
    http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_co...r-weight-loss/

I really don't like this, Mark. The part that scares me is the severely restricted diet. I don't know how you are gonna move any heavy weight if you are sticking to that low of calories. But, I'm not your doctor so I don't know what you've got set up here.

I think the progress you've made so far is awesome and I think you'd be a lot better off steadily losing the weight instead of doing a crazy diet like this. Now, if you are just using the drops and eating normally (i.e. restricted calories, but not 500 calories ya dig?) then I can understand that, but if you're doing the diet as outlined above I think you'll be looking at a LOT of loose skin in the future.

Just lookin' out for ya.