The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 24 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

Garage Lifter
    at least you don't have to worry about your stones blowing away
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

haha, very true.
    Today did a 3.5 mile walk in 45 minutes with the wife.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

How much rain did the DFW area end up getting?

House Lannister
    Solid bench and dead volume Mark.

I honestly have no idea, they were predicting 3 inches over the couple of days, it seemed like it rained here non stop for about 4 days, then off and on the 5th. Driving around town we now have small lakes in low lying fields, at the park today there was an area that was under water by at least a foot, a pretty good sized area. There's a big construction area nearby that's completely under water now, at least 5 or 6 feet deep there, but it's a slanted surface so yeah, it all ran in to it. We had 3 confirmed tornadoes around here, one downtown did some pretty good damage to a few buildings, one in a field, and another 1 street over from where I lived 2 years ago, blew the roof off an apt complex, picked up a dumpster and slammed it on to a car. We just got heavy rain and high winds here, only damage report from me is a decorative lantern that broke out of the pillar outside the front door, nothing major though. Stupid wooden crappy fence in the back yard didn't blow down though, damnit. Would have been great if it would have though, insurance collection for a new fence, but maybe next time.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Did squats tonight, first time since I've actually done a full squat workout, and it sure felt like it, the whole time.
    Stretching for 10 minutes
    135x10 Got a feel for depth all over again, felt like I was going really deep, felt good.
    195x8 Felt really good out of the hole, no issues.
    225x6 Felt a little heavy, but was still pretty good.
    265x2x2 First set no problems, 2nd set no real issues, could have gotten more but wanted to relax a bit, having not done squats for a while.

Zercher Squats
    135x10 full zercher squats.
    225x6 Off the rack.

Leg Curl
    80x10x2
    110x8x2
    140x6x2

Leg Extensions
    90x10x2
    115x8x2
    145x8x2

Overall the workout felt pretty good. I wasn't really in the mood to squat today, but made myself do it anyway, I feel better afterward. Hopefully I'll be back in my groove and get back to my routine.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Way to take on those squats, nice leg day man.

Thanks man. It sucks coming back after taking time off, but I need to get back under the bar.

Side Note: I downloaded Wendlers 5/3/1 manual, and I'm seriously contemplating starting this up, my only concern would be strongman type training I do at home, atlas stones and such. I'm going to take a look at things, see if I can incorporate it in to 5/3/1. Wonder if Tom has done anything like that.

After reading the book, I'm completely excited about starting this program. I think the consistency of following this, progressing each week, with a set platform, I can set the program up for an entire year, as Wendler has done in excel, and never have to worry about coming up with something to do. Everyone here knows I need consistency, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Mark!; 09-11-2010 at 04:02 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    How Are you going to do 5/3/1 if you can't go heavy due to hcg?

edit: there must be something i didnt understand about how the diet works :P
    Last edited by f=ma; 09-11-2010 at 08:55 AM.

TJW
    Great squatting Mark! I had my first squat workout in a while, and I'm definitely feeling it. 5/3/1 sounds like a great idea. Regarding the implementation of strongman stuff, I think Murph, over at elitefts, has a set up that if you send him a Q&A, he'll help you out with it.

5/3/1 is definitely a fine program and good to use on a cut. Just remember to use your current 1RM or estimated 1RM and maybe back off a tad more than required. Don't use what you did three months ago, a year ago, etc. You need to use your current numbers. I tested my 1RM at the end of my SS run and stalled on my squat on cycle 2. This is not supposed to happen. There are several reasons I believe this occurred but it boiled down still starting too high. I hope you can figure out a way to incorporate your strongman stuff into the program.

With the diet, I couldn't go heavy right out of the gate until I assessed how I felt during the first week. I was told to continue working out as I had been while taking my daily dosage of HCG. I feel great, really awesome during workotus, so it won't be an issue. The numbers I saw for the first 4 weeks in my excel program with the percentages, I'm not too worried about. I'm going off of current #'s, which if I recall correctly, bench was 215, dl was 385, squat was 315. I took a bit off the deadlift and squat still just to be on the safe side, as the ebook said that'd be ok to start even lighter. And even though these numbers aren't my training max, I can hit them for a good, solid, strained 1rm.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    With the diet, I couldn't go heavy right out of the gate until I assessed how I felt during the first week. I was told to continue working out as I had been while taking my daily dosage of HCG. I feel great, really awesome during workotus, so it won't be an issue. The numbers I saw for the first 4 weeks in my excel program with the percentages, I'm not too worried about. I'm going off of current #'s, which if I recall correctly, bench was 215, dl was 385, squat was 315. I took a bit off the deadlift and squat still just to be on the safe side, as the ebook said that'd be ok to start even lighter. And even though these numbers aren't my training max, I can hit them for a good, solid, strained 1rm.
    Sounds like you are getting things set up. Just remember that the training maxes are 90% of your actual 1RM max. I found a great online excel spreadsheet that someone wrote out. Here's the link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8615840/Ji...ook-Calculator

It's telling me I gotta pay for that mug, but I found it for frreeeeee. I had all the excel formulas and everything typed up, it'll be easy to copy everything and set it up for the year. I'll play around with the other log you gave me and see what'll work, I'm sure it'll be just as easy to copy it for the year or however long, I just haven't looked in to it yet.

Morning Weight:327
    Feeling: Awesome
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Oh wow, it does want you to pay for it. I must have gotten it somewhere else because I found the exact spreadsheet somewhere for FREE.

Great weigh in too!
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 09-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Weigh In: 321 Haven't been keeping up with my log here this past week, crap going crazy with my mom, she's been placed in a rehab clinic (not for cocaine) but for her wounds on her legs. She's got some wounds that need constant attention. Getting her settled in, everything is going good now.

Starting 5/3/1 today, I'm completely utterly excited.

Day 1, Week 1
    Military Press
    Warm up
    65lb x 5
    80lb x 5
    90lb x 5

Work Sets
    110x5
    130x5
    145x7 I hate you...so much.

Dips
    BW x 10, 10, 10,

15 min basketball
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Why hating on the Press? It looks good to me.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I really enjoyed the workout. Felt good, was a good pace. I squeezed out 6 reps, the 7th rep just didn't want to go, but I just kept tight and kept pressing, locked it out, felt good. I was shooting for 6 at least.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I agree with OR. That was a good press effort.

It appears that your diet is working. The weight is dropping quickly!!!

Finally, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Is this a temporary thing with the rehab home (I know nothing about this)?

Diet is going good, ready for Oct. 16th so I can start ramping my food intake back up. At this rate, I should be under 300 by then, and I'm very happy to report EVERYTHING is going phenomenally well as far as health and such. I need to find the thread where I posted my measurements in, and take them again soon.

The overhead press is always a stickler for me. I am used to doing push presses, and this calls for strict form, no bend at the knees push press stuff. It felt really awesome getting in 7 reps.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Good news, your diet appears to be going well...would be great to see you reach all your goals.

Thanks Coke! Feeling pretty good.

5/3/1 Week 1 day 2 Deadlift

165x5 Real slow with stretch.
    175x4
    -Started stretching with bands, good long stretch, hurt...-
    Work Sets
    225x5
    260x5
    290x10 I wanted 8 in my mind, felt 1 more, after that, felt 1 more. Was really happy with 10 reps here.

Hamstring Curls
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10

Step Ups
    50lbx10
    50lbx10

Everything felt really good, deadlifts were labor intensive, but not to the point of suckage. Want to do 30 mins of sustained, light cardio tonight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    Its good to see that you've got your programming and diet dialed in, keep it up!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I did some much delayed cardio today. I really need to pay more attention to it than I do. Now that I know what I'll be doing, I have my 5/3/1 logbook done up until August of 2011 already, I need to finalize my cardio routines.

Today I jogged for 30 minutes on the treadmill, nothing pressing, 4.0 speed with 3.0 incline. A nice, calm, easy pace, about what I'd take while jogging outside. I do plan on going hiking on my days off work. We have quite a few trails and hiking spots around my house. Once I'm lighter, I plan on getting a good mountain bike and hitting some trails on it too.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    jogging? forget that.. STAIRMASTER!

oh pressing is very nice, keep it up