Thread: Well Hell...

Question...
    A workout such as this...
    Romanian DL
    Bent over rows
    front squat
    push press
    barbell rollout
    ..that's taken from the Complexe for Fat Loss...if I did the barbell complex one day, dumbell complex another day, and BW complex another day, then a mix workout on the 4th day...would that be a decent starting point for getting on a set routine? My main goal right now...losing weight. I want the weight gone, I'm not worried about targetting every little muscle here and there, I want body movements that are going to burn calories, does that make sense? I work 4 days a week, so I figured that would be my workout while at work, then rest one day, then HITT one day, then another rest day before coming back to work. Opinions? Suggestions?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Workout today was good. I did the Complexes for Fat Loss Barbell set, trying it out, it was pretty intense, got a good burn going, felt good. On the front squats though my form was horribad. I've never focused on those for more than just a few reps at a time, never a set of 8. I couldn't decide whether or not to put the bar across my upper chest, or cradle it in my arms.

-Warmup-
    5 mins on treadmill at 3.0-4.0
    BW lunges
    V Bar pulldowns 90 lbs

Romanian DL-135 lbs 3x8
    Bent Over Row- 95 lbs 3x8
    Front Squat- 135 lbs 1x8
    Front Squat- 95 lbs 2x8-I had to go lower due to not being comfortable with form.
    Push Press- 95 lbs 3x8
    Barbell Rolls 95 lbs 3x8 -did not like...
    Bench Press 135 lbs 1x8
    Good Mornings 95 lbs 1x8

5 minutes on treadmill
    5 minutes on bike

The workout had me sweating and panting like a dog. I'm not used to a circuit style workout, rather a 45 minute treadmill death, followed by lurking around doing whatever I felt like doing that day.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Looks brutal. I can't help much with complexes for fat loss. I have very limited experience with them.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It's not so much the weights, it's my conditioning. It was like my midsection was tight and working the entire time, was pretty awesome. By the 3rd circuit I have hurting.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Today I'm off of work, not going to workout in the gym. Instead we're going to the park, let the boys play while I push a car around in the parking lot (2003 Kia) for a bit, then I'm gonna run on a track for a bit as well, do some HITT. I've got to get my diet in check. I've been talking with Josh Bryant at Metroflex, hopefully if his schedule opens up I can start training with him, and he can get my diet in check and have a meal plan all set out. I started out consuming around 1000 calories/day, but the last few days I've been able to get up in to the 1600-1800 range. I get hungry I just drink water or eat some veggies to kill the hunger pain off. I really gotta get the diet down. Meal plan for today looks to hit around 1800 calories total.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Dang...1,000 calories...I loose weight on 3,500 calories.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Today diet was pretty good so far. Went for a run this morning, ran/jogged 2 miles. We went back to the park later today and I pushed a kia spectre around the parking lot for a bit, had a good hill to push up, wasn't fun. After that we played tag at the park, jumping over and through all sorts of things. Got a wicked nice slice in my hand from a large splinter on the wooden wall I was jumping over, good times.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Diet today, looking at about 1800 calories, which is a heck of a lot better than what I was at.

For my workout I tried the dumbell part of Complexes for Fat Loss, it was equally as fun (not) as the barbell version.

3x6 no resting, then 90 second rest...
    Reverse Lunges-40lb dumbells
    Alternate DB Row-35lbs 2x6 then went to 40 lbs for last set
    Push Ups
    Burpee-35lbs...these suck in case anyone is wondering...
    Alternating DB Military Press-35lbs

After that, I rested a bit, then did BP 135x8, trying to model the form video I saw on here with Dave Tate, it feels a lot smoother pressing now than before with the same amount of weight.

15 mins of cardio afterwards, walking with incline and light jogging.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

After I got home I couldn't sleep so I wandered out into the garage and did some bag work, 2 6 minute rounds on heavy bag, then I got the itch to run...I know it's scary huh? I jogged a mile then came back in, and crashed finally. Felt great. Just woke up, gonna cook some breakfast then off to work for the day.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Did 42 minutes on the eliptical, 3.6 miles, I couldn't do anymore. I had planned for 30 minutes, was hurting at 14-16 minutes, then after I hit 30 minutes I had done 3 miles so I just kept trotting along at a slow pace, just kept moving, kept putting more time on. Felt really really good after breaking through 30 minutes, felt great. After that I went straight to the power rack, busted out some squats, 3x5 at 225lbs, then straight to bench press, 1x10 at 135lbs. I had planned on just doing some cardio work today, my chest and arms are sore, legs a tad sore but feel good overall. Right now I'm feeling awesome, no problems at all. Was watching some Ronnie Coleman videos earlier, "Light weight!, Ain't nothin but a peanut! Yeah Buddy!!!" Pretty hilarious.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Keep working hard!

Coming from another big guy, I don't know how you can eat so little and not just have serious hunger pains.

Pushing a car around a parking lot actually sounds like a badass time. I love this kind of stuff, I work construction and so carrying shingles up ladders and moving around plywood or drywall all day actually amuses me... as long as it isn't everyday heh. But anyhow 1000 calories is absurd. even 1800 seems rediculous for your weight. Are you certain you will not lose weight with at least somewhere around 2500-3000 calories? I know the mentality of wanting results so trying to go hardcore on your diet, but with that mentality brings a plethora of other issues... namely the adherance to it. You need to be in it for the long gradual haul and you consistently look better and better.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

hey dude, i just read through your whole journal and i have to say i really hope that you get down to your target goal of 275. It's great that you and your wife can workout together, and you're also extremely strong.

Did you have a lot of experience lifting prior to your starting in order to lose weight?

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Keep working hard!

Coming from another big guy, I don't know how you can eat so little and not just have serious hunger pains.
    Thanks man. I did have some pretty bad hunger pains time to time. It's hard retraining your body to actually eat now. I think that's why my weight loss has slowed so much, I'm having to restart my metabolism, and retrain my body. I did a juice diet with the advice of a doctor a few years back and since then, I haven't eaten much at all. I ended up losing 75 pounds on it, but I didn't train myself to eat right after that. Luckily, I've kept most of the weight off, coming from 464 pounds when I started the fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Pushing a car around a parking lot actually sounds like a badass time. I love this kind of stuff, I work construction and so carrying shingles up ladders and moving around plywood or drywall all day actually amuses me... as long as it isn't everyday heh. But anyhow 1000 calories is absurd. even 1800 seems rediculous for your weight. Are you certain you will not lose weight with at least somewhere around 2500-3000 calories? I know the mentality of wanting results so trying to go hardcore on your diet, but with that mentality brings a plethora of other issues... namely the adherance to it. You need to be in it for the long gradual haul and you consistently look better and better.
    That was my first time pushing a car around...for a workout at least. I'm getting my calories set, and gradually adding more and more to find out where my minimum is at. I'm working it back up, due to reasons mentioned above. But, we're getting it worked out. I'm going to start with a trainer hopefully Thursday, meeting with him Wednesday and getting things settled.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    hey dude, i just read through your whole journal and i have to say i really hope that you get down to your target goal of 275. It's great that you and your wife can workout together, and you're also extremely strong.

Did you have a lot of experience lifting prior to your starting in order to lose weight?
    Thanks man! I hope I hit 275, and keep on going for around 260, but right now I'm looking at 275 then reassessing things at that time. I worked in a machine shop, lifting aluminum molds and titanium everyday, always on my feet and moving around. Working in a warehouse at 120 degrees, and welding somedays, really helped me lose the weight. I played football and baseball all through middle school and high school, plus studied Judo since 13 years of age, but I've never actually worried about moving weight, or trying to reach my goals as far as how much I want to be able to lift. This website has encouraged me to get stronger, and get my numbers up.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Holy Crap! I can't even get 2000 calories in. I ate 1500 today, I'm not even hungry. I'm eating all natural foods, high proteins, high fiber stuff. I started a fitday, I've been just documenting calories on google docs, it's just easier for me because I can type the foods in and all the figures quicker then having to log in to fitday, search for all the foods...etc, but I'll see how long this fitday thing works out, probably not long, but at least I'm still counting calories. I feel like I'm always eating, especially these last two days at 1500-1800 calories. I'm eating a lot, it's just small things with low calories. I'm getting frustrated at this calorie counting business, I think I liked it better when I was just eating and not worrying about calories because I knew I was always really really low. Not going to quit though, gotta keep pushing myself and eating right.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

hey mark, looked through your journal thats a great goal...i have a friend who is doing that high intensity workout stuff, i think its a lot of fun, really gets the heart pounding

I'm really sore today. I missed my ETS last night and didn't take it for recovery, boy does that make a difference. I'm probably going to hit cardio again today before work, then some DL or squats, maybe some leg presses in there as well. Off to make breakfast and try to get somewhere around 1800 calories today, hoorah!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by pbal17 View Post
    hey mark, looked through your journal thats a great goal...i have a friend who is doing that high intensity workout stuff, i think its a lot of fun, really gets the heart pounding
    Yeah it's fun stuff, I like it because it can take you out of the gym if you want it to. I don't mind an eliptical, take it over the treadmill any day, but when I can go to the park and push a kia around, or go into the garage jump rope and do heavy bag work and beat a tire with a sledge hammer, I'm there. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine was putting up some fencing on his farm, I begged him to let me help with setting the posts. Nothing like using a good ol 50lb steel pole driver for 100 posts.

Workout today was botched. I usually get to work by 6:15, my step sons Dad didn't drop them off until 6:30, no notice or anything. I could have been working in the garage until time to leave. I realized today just how much I missed this feeling of having a routine set. Boy I was livid. I have to admit I acted like a complete jerk, he walked them to the door, asked if we could discuss something, told him he'd already made me late enough, shut the door and left. My heart was racing, so maybe that's a little bit of a workout at least. I'm gonna hit the eliptical here in about 30 minutes, before that I wanna do some leg presses, see how heavy I can get up to. HA
    Last edited by Mark!; 02-21-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Feeling great again after another workout.
    Leg Press---
    2x10@292lbs
    2x5@ 472lbs ----this made me mad. I've never used the leg press here at work...it only allows for 5 plates on each side, and there wasn't any room to add anymore weight at all, anywhere. I even thought about trying to stack plates in different places but figured every area had a chance of falling back near me or on me so I didn't chance it, way to go with this one, I wanted so much more.
    Figured I'd do a little DL work while I was at it...
    1x6 @ 225
    1x4 @ 315
    I've come to the conclusion that my DL form, much like my squat form, has caused me to not be able to pull/push as much weight as possible. It's pathetic, and it makes me mad. I see guys half my size DL'ing and Squating twice as much, makes me feel like a 12 year old school girl, my bench is weak too but I blame my weak arms for that crap.
    After that I did my cardio good times stuff. 30 mins on the eliptical...was all I was planning on doing tonight anyway, so I got that taken care of.

Bench Press-
    1x12 @ 135 ( I saw a vid of Ronnie Coleman pressing like 225 38 times back in college, inspirational.)

I don't know what they're called, but I call them v-bar chest pulls...whatever
    2x20 @ 97 lbs

Was messing around afterwards, did some skull crushers, 5 @ 65 lbs, sucked, dumbell curlsx5 @ 45lbs. Did some barbell wrist curls, wasn't counting reps though, just the 45lb bar.

Peace!
    Last edited by Mark!; 02-22-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot cardio...crap
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Weighed Last Night-346
    I weighed about two weeks ago at 350, so it was nice seeing the drop. Looking for 330 by May, most activities have a weight cut off of 330lbs. We'll see how that works out. By the end of summer, hoping for 300. Early February I was at 367, so we're making progress.

Another day of Cardio today for sure, but probably not too much. I feel drained. I couldn't sleep for crap today, kept waking up. I'll at least do 30 minutes on the eliptical, may split it up with a bike too. Don't know about lifting yet.
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-10-2010 at 06:34 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Did some light cardio tonight, 20 minutes total, I'll break it down.
    Leg Press
    1x10@292

Cable Chest Pulls
    1x20@97lbs

Cardio
    10 minutes moderate pace eliptical

Leg Press
    1x12@472lbs

Cable Chest Pulls
    1x20@97lbs

Cardio
    10 minutes moderate pace bike

Leg Press
    1x10@472

Cable Chest Pulls
    1x18@97lbs

Rack Lockouts-6 inches ROM (Saw KoSh doing these, figured I'd do them today instead of regular bench press, was good stuff, really enjoyed them)
    1x8@205

I didn't push myself as hard today. I'm taking tomorrow (really today) off. Going to try that Chicken Parmesan in the recipe section tonight with the wife, give her a good massage and see if I can't get lucky (does that count for cardio if it lasts longer than 45 minutes?)

I'm getting off work at 0600, I'll be in a contrast shower by 0620, for sure!
    Last edited by Mark!; 02-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Past 2 days have been HIIT. I did have to change 3 tires, that was fun as heck on a busy highway. Went running at a park both days, diet has been pretty good, not too sloppy. Can't wait to get back in the gym tomorrow night and get back on routine. I need to figure out what I'm going to do on my off days instead of just doing whatever. I lift Friday-Monday, Tuesday-Thursday I got nothing so I usually just run around the house, do some heavy bag work, dumbells or something.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Firday-

Roman DL 4x8=95lbs
    Bent Over Row 4x8=95lbs
    Front Squat 4x8=135lbs
    Skull Crushers 4x8=45lbs
    Cable Chest Pulls 2x20=97lbs
    Rack Lock Out 1x6=225

Elliptical for 45 minutes

Bench Press 1x15=135lbs
    Good Mornings 1x10=135lbs

-Done
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Today I saw down and wrote out some complexes, mixing barbell and dumbell with a few bodyweight ones. Felt dead after 4 sets but feel great now.

Upright Row (alternating arms, then both arms for one rep) 1x6@50lbs, 1x6@40lbs, 1x6@30lbs, 1x6@15lbs
    Curl to Overhead Press 1x6@40lbs, 1x6@35lbs, 1x6@30lbs, 1x6@15lbs. (First two sets of Upright Row and Curl to OH Press I did seperately, stopping to change weights quickly. The last two sets I did together with same weights.
    Dumbell Squat 1x6@120lbs, 1x6@90lbs, 1x6@60lbs, 1x6@BW
    Romanian Deadlift 3x6@135lbs, 1x6@45lbs
    Barbell Row 3x6 @ 135 (these hurt a lot) 1x6@45
    Lateral Pull Ups with Barbell in power rack 3x6
    Bar Dips 3x6
    Dragon Flags(These aren't any fun either) 2x6
    Afterwards I did some elliptical, 10 minutes, and bike for 10 minutes.

-Doner than done
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wasn't even planning on working out today, but I started feeling guilty, so I went anyway. Started doing some deadlifts, felt pretty good through 315, did that 6 times then I tried to do 405, epic fail. I tried again, couldn't lock out so I dropped it, went back to 315 and did 4 more reps. Then to 225 and did 4 reps, then did 135lbs 6 times. I did some cable rows, cable crunches, and a lot of stretching. 30 minutes on the elliptical and that was that. I'm going to try some of KoSH's conditioning stuff Tuesday, looks pretty good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May