The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

3 Sets, misc reps, little rest in between sets.
    TBar Rows 135lbsx8, 135x8, 135x10
    Reverse Grip Pulldowns 77.5lbsx20, 77.5x12, 77.5x10
    Barbell Rows 135x8, 135x6, 135x6
    Straight Arm Pulldown 77.5x10, 77.5x10, 77.5x8
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 77.5x10, 77.5x10, 77.5x8
    Dragon Flags 2x6
    Crunches 2x25
    Cable Crunches 82.5x20 (2 sets)
    BP 135x14
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Keep working hard! It sounds like you're getting your weight under control and have a plan laid out for it.

SCmmaFAN, thanks bro. It's tough, sometimes it's really really tough, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Today was an exciting day for me. I traveled out to Arlington to meet with Josh Bryant, my new trainer. Well that's the exciting part. Met with him today, he got my details, went over some things and we start hitting it hard next Thursday. He'll be laying out my workouts, and my diet. We'll be trying a keto diet for a while.

The other exciting part was seeing metroflex gym. Holy...crap! This place is awesome. Everyone in there was shaking my hand, saying "what's up bro, doing good?" Never seen any of these guys, but they were so awesome and nice. This is the same gym Branch Warren and Ronnie Coleman workout at, and is owned by Brian Dobson. It's a no BS kind of place. You go there to work, and I'm psyched about that. I'm so ready to get some expert advice and start working out smarter.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Hit the gym today, felt good. Slept forever last night, that was also good.

5 Minute warm up on treadmill
    Barbell rows 1x12, 2x6 -95 lbs (I tried pulling them closer to my midsection this time instead of my chest, could really feel the difference)
    Romanian DL 1x12, 2x6-95 lbs
    Cable Crunches 2x20-80 lbs
    Cable Chest Pulldows-2x20 97 lbs
    Bench Press, 2x10-135, 1x10-155lbs
    Sull Crushers 1x10-70lbs

HIIT, 6 cycles 20 second sprint 40 second incline walk, 10 minute incline brisk walk.

Contrast Shower
    Done
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

that's great dude!!!! keep it up. Is the gym far away from your house?

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    that's great dude!!!! keep it up. Is the gym far away from your house?
    On days I work out before work, the gym as at the police department, so I workout, then I shower, get dressed and go to work.

On days I work out at Metroflex, which will end up being 1-2 days a week, once when I meet with my trainer and another day on my own, the gym is about 40 minutes away but it's completely worth it. Instead of working out at Balleys, or 24/hour fitness, which is right down the street.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

On my lunch break I went back in to the gym. I felt like doing something, so, here's a quickie.

Warm Up, Stretching

DL-10x135, 8x225, 4x315, 0x405 I missed 405 AGAIN!!!! I got it up higher, but still can't lock it in. It's starting to frustrate me. 315 feels so much lighter. Here's to working up instead of skipping plates!
    Squat-6x225, 3x315, after incline press, I wanted one more, so I got back in the rack and pushed out another @ 315. Felt even better for the 4th rep.
    Incline Press-115x20 regular grip, 115x5 close grip (REST) 115x12 reg grip, 115x5 close grip (regular grip and close grips done in succession, then a rest, then again)

That was all I wanted to do. Felt good to get in there again today and move around some.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I love all the outdoor and boxing workouts. That definitely brings the fun into working out. I'm excited to see what your coach lays out for you. You should make great progress with somebody to guide you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I love all the outdoor and boxing workouts. That definitely brings the fun into working out. I'm excited to see what your coach lays out for you. You should make great progress with somebody to guide you.
    I'm really enjoying the boxing workouts. Growing up I had judo twice a week, 3 times prepping for competitions, but my Sensei went back to Mexico, and I haven't been looking for a new Dojo. I'm psyched about meeting with Josh. He called, asked if we could meet Tuesday this week, that's good stuff for me, I'm ready.

--Todays Workout--
    Warm Up= 2 mins fast paced elliptical, 1 set leg extensions, leg curls and calf raises.
    LEG EXTENSIONS-4X12@195LBS

LEG CURLS-4X10@140LBS

CALF RAISES 4X20@BW+145(DID THESE IN SMITH MACHINE WITH 2 35LB PLATES UNDER MY FEET)

LEG PRESS-4X10@315LBS

DRAGON FLAGS-3X8

CABLE CRUNCHES-4X15@92.5LBS

*ON THE 4TH SET, I DIDN'T DO DRAGON FLAGS, BUT I TIMED HOW QUICKLY I COULD DO THE SET, SORT OF A HIIT SET. I RUSHED THROUGH THE LAST SET, JOGGING TO EACH STATION. TOTAL TIME 1:51:00. I WAS GRUNTING OUT THE LEG PRESS, EVERY REP.

HITT ON BIKE-60 SECOND 80RPM, 30 SECONDS 120RPMX4 TIMES
    TREADMILL-5 MINUTES AT 3.0 SPEED AND 6.0 INCLINE.

DONE
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

**Random Musings**
    Sitting here, about to go home from work in about 30 minutes. It's been one crappy long night. Too much crap going on for my taste, why can't people just get along? Anyway. I feel this itch, I feel like I NEED to be working out. I WANT to be in there every freakin chance I get. Even if I just finished a workout, I think "sure be nice if I had time to do one more set." I don't know if it's good or bad, but I do something every single day. I lift friday, saturday, sunday, monday, tuesday...I run Wednesday, do boxing Wednesday and Thursday in the garage, and I sometimes do barbell routines in my garage on Wednesday and Thursdays. I cannot get enough. I know I have to slow down and take a break every now and then, but I feel guilty if I do. I feel like I could be in the gym, I could be doing SOMETHING to burn some calories, or help improve some part of my lifts. I want to deadlift 405, and I know I'm going to work up and get it, I want to be working right now. Physically I'm tired, I can pass out right here, but mentally, I'm pumped up. I know I'm making progress, I can tell by the way clothes fit, the scale, etc. I used to hate benching because I couldn't even do 135 more than a handful of times, now I'm repping it in to the 20's. 225 was nearly impossible, but I'm hitting it solid for 2 sets of 5 reps, and I know I've got more, but how much more? I want to push myself to the limits. I want my body to push, pull, throw, whatever, as much weight as physically possible. Dang, I just want to lift.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

@ post 59 - VERY impressive leg curls. I know I've used at least 5 different ones over the last year and on all of them 140 is no joke. What's a dragon flag??

@ post 60 - You got the bug man, it's a good thang! I know what you're saying and theres a super fine line between doing as much as you can and doing too much. I think in general most people cop out at not doing as much as they can. The word overtraining is thrown around nonchalantly when some begin to feel fatigued. Three or four years ago I wouldn't have made it a week at the intensity, volume and consistency I'm at these days, but would have sworn to anybody I was borderline overtraining. I'm not saying it doesn't exist -- it very much does. All I'm saying is mind over matter extends beyond the set you're doing to the grand scheme of things. And to me it looks like you have that mentality. Kudos brotha
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I tried to find one that was pleasing to watch, at the same time informative...I do go lower, nearly all the way to the bench. I've seen pictures of Bruce Lee, when he started doing them he did them at the end of the bench where the only thing touching the bench was his upper back. Stallone also made them popular in Rocky IV I think.

140 was tough. Sadly, that was my first actual fully leg work out. I've never had a problem with lower body strength, turns out if you run and weigh a lot, it works out your legs, ha. Felt pretty good all in all.

The bug is bad. I woke up today and I still got it. Can't wait to get in the gym tonight. I'm probably going to take Monday night off since Tuesday night I meet with my coach.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Ok well let's see, I typed this up, but it logged me out, so here we go again.

I felt really good today, woke up feeling good, hit the gym with a head full of steam.

TBar Rows-4x6@180lbs

DL from Rack, about knee cap height-2x6@225, 2x4@315, 1x3@405 (leads me to think my problem at 405 is on the floor, obviously)

OH Press-1x5@135lbs

Squat-2x4@225lbs

Leg Press 1x10@315, 1x10@450

Skull Crushers-1x10@60lbs

Cable Chest Pulls 2x10@97.5lbs

Face Pulls 1x10@45lbs

I felt really really good after the work out. Didn't do cardio during 1st workout, but I'm thinking about hitting the gym on my lunch break and doing some cardio.

Got my diet from my coach, so I'll be starting that tomorrow, probably won't workout since Tuesday I'm meeting with him. I have 5 meals to eat in carb depletion. I'm thinking I wake up at 3pm and eat, then 7:30 after my workout, 10:30, 1:30 and tghen 3:30am. I usually get in bed around 7am, so that'll leave at least 3 hours after my last meal. Does that look ok? Critique needed for timing of meals. I don't want to eat another meal before working out, I don't know why I don't, but I just don't. Would it be ok to put a meal at say 6pm instead of 7:30 and move all the meals up?

*DONE
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post

I tried to find one that was pleasing to watch.
    Thank You!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Thank You!
    You know I'm lookin out for you OR. haha

Well I went and did what I said I was gonna do. Ended up doing some HIIT on the treadmill again, no country for old men was playing on one of the TV's we have up, so I watched it a bit. It's nice in there, it's quiet, one TV is on ESPN, another on the news and another on a movie. When I'm strictly lifting I don't watch TV or talk, ipod in and get to work. I've actually been called rude by several of the dispatchers for not talking to them when I go in there. I always just tell them I'm not there to socialize, I'm married, don't need to talk to another woman on a social level. haha, they usually don't like that response.

2nd workout of the night -cardio-
    9 minutes of roughly 30 seconds sprint to 30-45 seconds incline walk at medium pace, then 10 minutes of high incline medium intensity walk for burn out
    I still had about 15 minutes to kill...so yeah...
    Dragon Flags again, 2x8

Cable Crunches 1x20 with 80lbs on the cable, planned on doing more but didn't

Rack Lock Outs 1x4@225lbs

Deadlift 1x4 225lbs

I really just took it light, didn't want to do too much on my 2nd workout. I told myself earlier I won't work out tomorrow night, but who am I kidding, I'll be in there, even if it's just to walk on the stinkin treadmill for an hour, I'll be there.

DONE for the night!!
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-08-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Inzer Forever Single Prong belt...Ordered...heck yeah
    Going to bed, leave me alone
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I got my diet last this morning so I started on it today...holy crap that seems like a lot of food. Roughly 3lbs of food raw, like 2300 calories or something like that.

Meal 1
    1/2 cup green bell peppers, 6 whole eggs, 2 slices of bacon (I used turkey bacon)
    Meal 2
    8oz salmon or beef, 4 oz broccoli(This will probably alternate day by day honestly)
    Meal 3
    8oz Steak, Chicken Breast or Fish, 4 oz Broccoli(Again I'll probably alternate around)
    Meal 4
    8 oz lean steak, 4 oz broccoli
    Meal 5
    8 oz ground beef

That just seems like a lot of food to me, but I told myself at the beginning, I'm going to let this pan out and see how it goes. My trainer has gotten rave reviews, and Brian Dobson of Metroflex swears by him. I'm going to struggle with putting everything aside, leaving my ego at the door and trusting him. Tomorrow is my first session.

--Workout--
    HIIT, 8 cycles, 30 seconds quick walk/30 seconds run followed by 10 minutes incline walking. (I found out the treadmill has interval speeds tonight! I enter my jogging speed, then enter my running speed, and it's all just one button after that no more holding down the button to decrease speed!)
    Incline Bench 4x5@135lbs

Yeah that was it for tonight. We got our income tax return so 1/4 of that is going to a new fridge. Been looking at some nice Samsung 26.0 ft french door ones. Love that style, it's the kind we have in my kitchen when I cooked for a living.

Feeling really good tonight. I'd like to just thank everyone on here for at least checking in on me every now and then. You guys keep me going. When I'm about to crap out, I think "What would so and so do?" Even if you haven't posted in here before, just stop by, say what's up, and head on. It's great motivation from me, especially from the big lifters on this site, it helps us beginners get along sometimes until it just becomes second nature. Again, thanks everyone.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Holy Cow! I had a hard time eating all the food on my diet today. I just finished my last meal, with approximately 4 hours before bed time so I should be in decent shape I think. Shooting around 2300 calories, that's probably the most my body has seen in months, I'm hoping it handles it well. Very low carb diet, like 4 carbs total. Getting more excited about my days off from work and working out with my trainer for the first time, getting things started. For all that food I ate, I feel really good, I don't feel sluggish or anything really, I little tired but I doubt that has anything to do with the food.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I couldn't survive on meat and broccoli alone. I mix up my veggies and add a little fruit and oatmeal to keep it interesting. But, I'm far from knowledgeable and I'm not a fan of real low carb eating for myself, so...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

So far I'm doing ok on the low carb thing. I'm eating more, obviously but I don't feel bloated or full per say, like after a round of pizzas or something.

I had my first workout with Josh tonight at Metroflex. First of all, I'm in love with that place. The atmosphere is just amazing. Great music, LOUD music, loud iron smashing all around, great guys and gals to work out next to. Tonight we did a lot of talking, and did a lot of form checks.

Squat-My ass isn't out far enough, chest isn't high enough, didn't go down low enough, bar was too high on my back, my toes were straight as opposed to slightly pointed outward, and I took way too many steps away from the rack. After checking those things, squatting felt amazing! It was sweet going down, and exploding out of the hole. A completely different experience. Squatting with a broom stick was funny...but effective none the less.

Dead Lift-Legs too far apart, feet not close enough to the bar, hands too close, wasn't lining up in the middle of the bar consecutively. After getting these issues sorted out, I pulled 315 like it was nothing, 365 felt good too. 405...first was a miss, he had me walk away, get some water, relax for a few then attempt it again. I wasn't satisfied at all with the lift, but yes...I pulled 405 off the floor, and all but locked it in. I was I'm guessing about an inch away from locking out, failed on that, but just by checking my form, I was able to actually pull 405 for the first time in a while. I need to work on explosiveness, and aligning myself up evenly at the bar, and getting my feet under it. It didn't hurt, didn't pull my back, everything felt good, even though 405 sucked, it didn't hurt.

Bench Press- I learned quite a few things about benching today. I had pretty good feet positioning on the floor, my elbows were ok, but my grip placement sucked. I was way too close. After moving it out some, putting myself lower on the bench (a lot lower) and making sure my elbows stayed tight but not compacted to my body, along with keeping my back tight, the lifts came pretty good. I know I hit 160x4.5 reps at the end of the workout, and had already done probably 25 reps working up to that.

After the workout, we talked about plans, goals, and what he expects. I'm totally on board and excited about this. I can't wait to see how I progress over the next few months. Heck, I can't wait to see how I improve over the next few weeks once I get my form inline!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Morning Weigh In-342.4!!!! That means 13 pounds to go before May, and 43 pounds to go before Mid October baby!!.

Feels good, maybe this diet thing really is working after all. I feel like I'm eating twice as much, but losing weight so it doesn't make sense to me at all. Just shows how little I know about things. And the fact that I'm up at 0745, not working overtime, but instead up because I got called for court today. LOVE IT! Yeah...I'll probably get dismissed after they find out I work for a police department. After Jury Duty, I'm going to go buy a new fridge. I'll put up some pics of that beauty when I get her.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Yesterday:Heavy Bag, 2 minutes on, 1 minute off for 15 minutes then 5 minutes solid of jump rope.

Tonight was the first night working out at Metroflex, doing my own thing, following my routine. As is as follows:

Bench Press-125lbs 10x4
    Notes: I started out with the first 4 sets at 135 before realizing I had 10 extra pounds on the bar. Set started solid, shoulders and back where tight, middle finger on the ring, butt lower on the bench. I didn't let my elbows flare too much out, and I think I kept them pretty neutral, tight but not tucked. On the last rep I stalled half way up but was able to push through the rep to rack it. Stalling has been a bit of an issue here, I get half way up, I'm good, then BAM like at one spot about half way up I stall. It's only at the end of my sets of course. I'm thinking it's just fatigue, and will come once I've formed more muscle and endurance on the bench.

Bench Press Wide Grip-115lbs 6x4,4,4,8,6,6-went about 2 inches wider from normal grip here, felt good.
    Notes: Felt good, solid movement all the way through. Half way through I tightened my stomach as much as I could and it helped a ton on my press. This set felt really good, not many problems here. I think my doing more reps during the sets hurt me later on. I tried to do too much, it'll show on my close grip press.

Bench Press Close Grip-115lbs 6x8,4,4,6,3,3.5-went about 2 inches in from normal grip, not a fan apparently.
    Felt really good starting off. I hit 8 reps in the first set, didn't have any issues. The next few sets felt good too. When I got to my last 2 sets, 1-3 reps felt good, last rep it just stalled half way up. I was able to push through the last rep in the 5th set, then did my final set, boy this was pathetic. I hit 1-3 no problems. 4th rep stalled half way up, and that was it. I had to do a sit up with the bar, then rack it from there. This...absolutely...sucked! I did too much, didn't stick to my routine and pressed more reps during my sets and tired myself out.

Altogether I hit 83.5 reps on benching tonight. My arms hurt when I was done.

I did some cable rows:
    90x15
    115x10
    and some tbar rows:
    90x10

When I got home we walked half a mile to the park, played some basketball, then walked half a mile back home.

Weight this morning was 340.8.

We also managed to get our new fridge and lawn mower from sears delivered. The fridge is awesome! The mower was the wrong model, and will have to go back. I actually wanted to mow the yard today with it, but I can't touch the mower until we get the model we actually picked out.

"Light Weight"

260's by May

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    I'm in.

Been reading throuhg your progress, you're certainly getting stronger, and commited to the diet. Keep up the good work!!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

That sounds like a great session with your coach. Looking forward to great things in here.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Todays workout was short and sweet.
    5 Minute warm up on treadmill

Squat 185x5x5 Went nice and slow, worked on form and checked everything. Made sure I didn't take more than 1 step back with each foot, butt out, chest up, feet slightly angled. Felt really good. Had no problem getting these done today.

Dragon Flags 2x6
    HIIT on treadmill for 12 minutes, cycles 30 seconds run 30 seconds walk then finished with 6 minutes walking on incline.

That was it for today, feeling good though.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May