The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 52 of 111 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2751

Thread: Well Hell...

Bench Press tonight, I really took it slow, the workout too my literally 2 hours to complete, but workload wasn't any more than usual. I didn't want to any risks with rushing something or going crazy, all in all shoulder feels fine, there were a few "oh shit" moments, but it wasn't anything, I think it was more "that would have hurt like hell 2 days ago" feeling.

Close Grip BP
    Warm Ups
    135 x 5
    185 x 5

Work
    200 x 5 x 5 sets Work set PR. I've never had a complete set over 200lbs on the bench, felt good to get all of these, had more in the tank.

225 x 1
    245 x 1 Just for the heck of it, moved fast.
    I focused more on a slower descent, keeping things tight and smooth, then exploding off the chest. It definitely feels a lot better than bouncing.

OHP
    105 x 3
    125 x 3
    95 x 4 x 10 sets w/1 minute rest between sets

I's, Y's, T's
    20's x 8 x 3 sets Oh man these suck with 20lb dumbbells, jeez.

Dicks Press on the floor, didn't like it as much, will go back to the bench.
    115 x 8 x 3 sets

Scapula Retraction superset with Reversed DB Flys
    Used Elite FTS Black bands for this.
    15 reps x 3 sets
    20's x 10 x 3 sets for flys
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Fine squatting and some great progress.......no stopping you now!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Indeed started getting some real momentum going. Even if it took two hours! Man that is a long time, well stuck!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Good stuff Mark. I'm not sure what a dick press on the floor is, but it sounds like something I'd like
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks Nick, the squats sure did feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Indeed started getting some real momentum going. Even if it took two hours! Man that is a long time, well stuck!
    Haha, just wanted to take it easy and not push it.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Good stuff Mark. I'm not sure what a dick press on the floor is, but it sounds like something I'd like
    Dicks press is a combo between the JM Press and regular bench press. Bring the bar down to the chest, roll it forward towards your head (the bottom part of a JM press, then roll the bar back out to your chest and press, gets the triceps burnin good. However on the floor my elbows hit the floor before I hit my chest so all of them were high, just didn't like it. Got the idea from Chris Rogers, I think he was the one that put the video up doing them.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    Your pressing is coming along very nicely
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Your pressing is coming along very nicely
    Thanks man, I'm hoping to continue the progression. I've been adding 5lbs a week to work sets when at metroflex, so if I continue that progression, I should be well on my way to a 300lb bench by this fall. I'm hoping for over 300 a bit, so that if I have any stalls on the diet, even though I'm not losing as much as I'd like I'd still be able to bench bodyweight at the meet, that's my overall goal in bench press, by August.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Question for the masses. I have the ability to acquire either farmers walk handles, or a spinning bike. I'd love to have the handles, but in all honesty I'd use the bike 2-3 times a week, farmers walk handles maybe 2-3 times...a month. It would help with cardio...which is something I RARELY do anyhow...input?
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Tough choice. The bike would be handy, but you could always walk or do complexes for conditioning. The handles would be cool but like you said, how often would you use them. In a perfect world you'd get both, but I can see either one being a fun addition. I think I'd go for the handles because it's going into the nice time of year and it's good to get outside. Do your conditioning with a sled followed by farmers walk
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Deadlift night tonight, felt like complete ass, horrible, dead, dying, done. Whew. I didn't eat today, had 2 shakes, a little cheese, and that...was...it. Decided I would deadlift tomorrow...but no...I decided after decided to do it tomorrow...to do it today, yay...

Warm Ups
    135 x 4 Long stretch at the bottom
    225 x 3
    295 x 3

Work
    380 x 3
    430 x 3 Didn't feel too bad honestly, pretty quick feeling.

From this point on, until noted, everything sucked.
    360 x 4 x 10 sets with 1 minute rest in between sets, yup..major suck. I cussed, I whined, I yelled after 5 sets, I was done...then I deadlifted again. After the 7th set I was feeling on fire...got rowdy with it and knocked it out. Kept my wife in the game, was awesome. She was deadlifing right along with me, was good times.

From THIS point on...things got better. Was still fired up.

Shrugs
    205 x 20 x 3 sets
    205 x 40
    205 x 30

Bent Over Rows
    215 x 5 x 3 Started getting a pain in my shoulder at the bottom, was done.
    135 x 5 x 2 Decided to at least finish my set with a drop set sort of deal. No pain here, just good slow reps.

I was shot, drug myself to the bed, where I now reside. About to pour myself in to a hot, epsom salt filled bathtub and sleep there until tomorrow.

On the subject of a bike...it's on craigslist. It's a nice bike, for $150. If the lady emails me back, I'll get it, but she hasn't responded yet so we'll see. I'm getting both, but right now, I think for the benefit of the wife and myself for cardio, the bike would work best.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Dude, I love craigslist! It is my new ebay. Very adicting. I get a rush every time I log on. Haha, I had the same feeling with my workout last night. I cheated a bit and took superpump 250. (got it free from a friend) I was like you after the first couple sets I was ready to go all night. Great workout. and that is a ton of reps on deadlift. I wouldn't be able to walk if I had done that many. Nice job.
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

That's crazy deadlifting. Especially on limited fuel. But it's funny how once you hit a groove things just go nicely.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    How has the weight loss come along? I haven't been following this journal, but I just read your first page.

Good own you for getting it done!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by hug dog View Post
    Dude, I love craigslist! It is my new ebay. Very adicting. I get a rush every time I log on. Haha, I had the same feeling with my workout last night. I cheated a bit and took superpump 250. (got it free from a friend) I was like you after the first couple sets I was ready to go all night. Great workout. and that is a ton of reps on deadlift. I wouldn't be able to walk if I had done that many. Nice job.
    I usually take BCAA's or DMAA on days like this, but today didn't want to risk staying up for 8 more hours after DMAA's. Felt good though. I just picked up a weight set with weight tree for $100. Am very happy with it.

That's crazy deadlifting. Especially on limited fuel. But it's funny how once you hit a groove things just go nicely.
    Yeah, it all sucked until I hit that groove and it was golden from there. Was having a blast, I think my wife may think I'm more crazy now since I was yelling and such...oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    How has the weight loss come along? I haven't been following this journal, but I just read your first page.
    This morning I believe was a PR on this carb cycle, I was 351.6. My goal is to lose 3lbs a week, or 6 every 12 days, carb up, then lose 6lbs more from my lowest point from the previous depletion. If I do that, I have 16 weeks out from meet, would get me close to 300. I expect however, there will be weeks where I don't meet my goal, and I also suspect, fortunately, that there will be weeks where I over achieve my goal, so hopefully they will all even out.

I've got them mentality now where I try to not give myself a choice in the matter. It's get it done, or exhaust myself trying.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by hug dog View Post
    I usually take BCAA's or DMAA on days like this, but today didn't want to risk staying up for 8 more hours after DMAA's. Felt good though. I just picked up a weight set with weight tree for $100. Am very happy with it.

Yeah, it all sucked until I hit that groove and it was golden from there. Was having a blast, I think my wife may think I'm more crazy now since I was yelling and such...oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    This morning I believe was a PR on this carb cycle, I was 351.6. My goal is to lose 3lbs a week, or 6 every 12 days, carb up, then lose 6lbs more from my lowest point from the previous depletion. If I do that, I have 16 weeks out from meet, would get me close to 300. I expect however, there will be weeks where I don't meet my goal, and I also suspect, fortunately, that there will be weeks where I over achieve my goal, so hopefully they will all even out.

I've got them mentality now where I try to not give myself a choice in the matter. It's get it done, or exhaust myself trying.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

feeling like you are about to pass out after you deadlift (or actually passing out, which Ive done a few times) = best feeling ever

Garage Lifter
    holy deadlifts! Awesome work
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    feeling like you are about to pass out after you deadlift (or actually passing out, which Ive done a few times) = best feeling ever
    Haha, idk about best feeling EVER...but it's pretty sweet that's for sure.

holy deadlifts! Awesome work
    Thanks man, feeling good about the progress, next week I need to plan better and try deadlifting with food in me.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

PEOW....my grill sucks, I'm gonna go buy another one, PEACE.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Shopping for grills is almost as good as shopping for a new car.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    next week I need to plan better and try deadlifting with food in me.
    to be honest with you I prefer to deadlift on an empty stomach, feels better and less likely to hurl afterwards

Shopping for grills is almost as good as shopping for a new car.
    Haha, I walked around for like 30 minutes looking at the grills. Ended up getting a pretty sweet one, 4 burners, large cooking space, I'm very happy with it. My old grill had some rust on it, finally after about 7 years of use, literally. So, it was due for a replacement. I honestly debated gas or charcoal, and I love charcoal and know it's far superior, however for ease of use, and the ability to walk outside and push a button....it just suites me better. I do want to eventually get a small charcoal grill for the backyard as well.

to be honest with you I prefer to deadlift on an empty stomach, feels better and less likely to hurl afterwards
    I like deadlifting on a stomach that's not full, but has had some food in it within the past 12 hours, which was the case last deadlift session.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

430x3 jelous much
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

You turned that day around with a monster deadlift session.!