The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

haha yeah i use my iphone as my ipod and i CANT STAND getting a call on it. Last deadlift session during my lift one of my friends called me with 2 more reps left and when i answered after the sets (she called back.) she wouldn't stfu so i did that stupid thing where i made weird noises with my voice and said i was losing connection lol.

Man, excuse my french but this is ****ing dedication; i always love venturing here and seeing what you're up to. do you know how much you weigh now?

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    haha yeah i use my iphone as my ipod and i CANT STAND getting a call on it. Last deadlift session during my lift one of my friends called me with 2 more reps left and when i answered after the sets (she called back.) she wouldn't stfu so i did that stupid thing where i made weird noises with my voice and said i was losing connection lol.

Man, excuse my french but this is ****ing dedication; i always love venturing here and seeing what you're up to. do you know how much you weigh now?
    Thanks bro, I use airplane mode every once in a while when all my chickens (wife and kids) are at home and I'm in the gym, but more times than not, I just don't answer if it's the generic ring.

I was 336 before my carb up, was up to 342 after that, now back to 337.4 this morning. Gotta keep plugging away, little by little. This diet is so hard because I all but fatally wounded my metabolism by not eating. I ate enough to keep a dog alive, around 800-1000 calories a day. My coach whipped me, I'm at around 2200 a day now, give or take a bit.

Today I just did some stretching in the gym, worked on squat form with 135 (don't know reps, just changed form up a little each rep to see how it felt). My wrist has been bothering me, or wrists rather but mostly my right one. It hurts pretty bad when I squat, and especially right after I let go of the bar after racking it. I'm going to get some inzer wrist wraps and see if those help at all. I've got to figure something out, I love to squat, not giving it up just because of some wrist pain. Metroflex does have a safety squat bar as a last resort, but I'd rather not go there.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    You seem to be doing a nice variety of awesome exercises man. Workout logs are looking really solid overall.

And I know what you mean by not wanting to use "safety squat" stuff lol. It pains me to even think about not doing the real thing. Hope your wrist gets sorted. Wrist stuff always sucks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    You seem to be doing a nice variety of awesome exercises man. Workout logs are looking really solid overall.

And I know what you mean by not wanting to use "safety squat" stuff lol. It pains me to even think about not doing the real thing. Hope your wrist gets sorted. Wrist stuff always sucks.
    I appreciate it brother. I'm just trying to keep some consistency going. That in itself is a big step in the right direction.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Ah, good old Metroflex workout tonight.

-SQUAT-
    Bar x 6
    235 x 4
    185 x 6 x 2 Pause at the bottom
    Notes: Coach said first set of 185x6 was best looking sets, exploding at the bottom, both sets looked light, but overall, form is the best it's ever been right now, which is exciting.

-DEAD LIFT-
    365 x 2 Much more explosive this week off the floor. I think deficit dead lifts have really paid off in this area.
    195 x 3 x 7 sets Got excited on these. I was exploding like crazy off the floor, thrusting hips forward to lock out, felt amazing, and crazily light all the way through.

-ONE LEGGED DEAD LIFT-
    60lbsx6repsx3 sets each leg
    Notes: Never ever done these. Coach said he saw a sprinter use these to strengthen hamstrings and core, and boy did they do the trick as far as feeling it in thighs, hamstrings, and core. For anyone that hasn't done these yet, you should give them a shot. Start with dumbbells, it's easier at first, oddly enough.
    Stand on one leg, put the other slightly behind you, then bend at the hips. The leg off the floor moves behind you, the dumbbells move slightly out in front of you, tap the ground, leg comes back to the other one, arms at your side, try to not let foot touch the ground for the entire set. Pure Awesomeness.

-DEATH BELLS- Ok Kettle Bells, not death, at all.
    Kettle Bell Swings 85lbs x 12 reps x 6 sets (Last week was 45lbs x 10 reps x 6 sets)
    Notes: I threw up in my mouth (water) on the 5th set, chugged some water and hit the last set. I was hurting bad, grunting, yelling, but hell yeah got it done baby! I was told if I couldn't handle the 85 pounder we could go back down to the 45, hell no! It's all mental, gotta push, gotta do whatever is asked of me, if it burns it works. There's a saying written on the wall right in front of the dead lift area where I was, it says "If it's easy, it's not worth doing." So much inspirational stuff written on the wall by my coach Josh Bryant, Ronnie Coleman, Branch Warren, and all the other pros up there. It's amazing.

Overall, tonight was absolutely amazing. The feeling after the work out, the burn, legs shaking, damn it feels good. I know I'm making progress by the way I feel. Oh yeah, I did get some Inzer wrist wraps. Anyone having wrist issues while squatting, GET SOME! It took the shoulder pain, and wrist pain right out of there, wrist is only as sore as it was before the work out, usually it's really bad afterwards. I went out to House of Pain in Fate, TX...right down the highway from my house, and that place is awesome. Anyone in the area, or even on the web, check em out. They've got great deals, great looking shirts, and great gear, extremely friendly guys there too.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    hitting it hard, i see. squatting and deading in the same w/o is tough.. when i did bill starr 5x5, it would sap me. and ya, i def agree with the deficit deads. I have only ever done them in tandem with a calorie deficit so I can only imagine what it will do for me off the floor once i can start maintenance or better in a few months.

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    lots of heavy movements in one day. I'm liking it! Respect for squats and deads.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Yesterday was an off day from the gym. I try to get in some outdoor stuff on Wednesday. We bought a basketball goal from a friend, she paid like $250 for it new, sold it for $45...heck yes! So, here's a joke of a rundown of what I did yesterday.

Mowed front and back yard
    Weed-eated front and back yard...CRAP!- Got in a good cardio work out. Stupid weed eater wouldn't start. It's brand new...I always flood it first, ha.
    Set up basketball goal out back, played basketball a total of probably 2 hours afterwards. Good stuff, even in the rain.
    Dug up grass and weeds from around the air conditioner, laid landscaping fabric, carried massive bricks to A/C, laid them with some recycled rubber potting soil like stuff, was a lot of fun carrying bricks around the yard.
    Went to the park and played baseball with my wife and kids. Really had fun. (Side note, don't even underestimate your wifes ability to hit a baseball...just don't..I was completely impressed by my wifes hitting ability afterwards)
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thought I updated this since Thursday mornings workout at Metroflex but I guess I didn't. So here we go.

Thursday Morning (Metroflex)
    Bench Press w/pause at bottom-140lbsx10repsx4sets
    Notes: These felt really good. I'm having to really dig deep on the last set still, and re rack the weight around the 6-7th rep then hit the last 4 or so, but the weights gone up a little since last bench day, and I'm still re racking around the same area so I guess it isn't all too bad eh?

Wide Grip BP-125x6x2
    Notes: No re racking, felt awesome and smooth. Last time I did wide grip and close grip I had to re rack on last few reps, not this time.

Close Grip BP-125x6x2
    Notes: Felt smooth and good here. Even popped a few more reps out on the last set. Good burn.

Dumbbell Fly-20x12x4
    Notes: I try to keep the dumbbells around my belly button while laying on the bench, but on the last few reps of set 3 and 4 it gets shaky. Good burn here.

Three Way Delt Raise-15x11x3
    Notes: These suck quite a bit, but leave a great feeling of accomplishment when completed. Feels good.

Hammer Curls-20x12x3
    Notes: No complaints, feels good.

Iso Prone Abs-35 secondsx1x3
    Notes: Yeah I still hate these while I'm doing them but afterwards, feels good.

Tomorrow is squat day, and I get to add iso prone side raises to the mix. Should be a good workout.

Today I played basketball for 30 minutes, worked up a good sweat. Afterwards I did some jump rope, as much as I could stand, about 5 minutes of it total, but was broken up in intervals. 30-40 seconds on, 60 seconds off.

Weight after breakfast:335.0 New PR this go round. Looking for 330.0 by next Thursday, that'll be my carb day. Looks like I'm gonna make under 330 by May. It's been my goal to get under 330 enough to enjoy some food on our cruise. I plan on still eating a lot of good foods, but upping the intake, haha. We are planning a nice hike to the Mayan Ruins, should be some good cardio, plus swimming and such, good times.
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-27-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Solid work Mark, looks like you are very dedicated to this. Thanks for stopping by my journal!

Appreciate it man. Thanks for stopping by here bro.
    Last edited by Mark!; 03-26-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I agree. You are very dedicated and your journal entries very much show that. I know you'll achieve all your goals with this attitude and mentality. Keep up the good work with everything.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Looks awesome, good luck with the squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Last night
    HITT
    15 minutes, 9 cycles 45sec jog/45sec run
    Dead Lift
    225x10,x5,x10. I wanted to hit 20 consecutive reps but whimped out, pissed about this.

Tonight
    A lot of pre workout stretching, it really made a big difference.
    -SQUAT-
    205lbsx5repsx5sets
    N: Felt good, no real issues. On the 4th set I hit the safety bar on the way down, screwed that rep up but I recovered mid rep and all was fine. Felt light.
    -ONE LEG DL-
    30x7x3
    N: Better balance this time, no real blunders. I think if I was on a hard surface barefoot, it'd be better, will try that next time.
    -LEG CURL-
    60x10x2
    N:Light weight
    -LAT PULL DOWNS-
    100x12x4
    N: Felt good, last few reps on 4th set didn't want to move easily, but squeezed it out.
    -REVERSE CLOSE GRIP LAT PULL DOWNS-
    90x10x3
    N:Easy stuff, felt light.
    -PLANKS-
    30 seconds 3x
    N: Getting easier.
    -SIDE PLANKS-
    N: Don't like these much right now.
    -BENCH PRESS-
    135x10
    No issues, felt good all work out. Really enjoyed this workout, weights felt light, I paused at the bottom of at least 2 squats each set, paused for about 4 seconds then exploded out of the hole. Felt like I was really getting some intensity. Everything else was good, felt good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    good stuff man, lots of volume

I wasn't going to work out much today but yeah, guilt hit me and pissed me off while sitting back all fat and happy on my couch. I played some basketball out back, then cooked my meals and my wifes meals for the day, sat on the couch looking for something to watch. The Biggest Loser was on Fox Reality, and although I haven't been a big fan of it, I started watching it. Those men and women were going at a high intensity their entire work out, pushing everything they could until they had nothing left...it pissed me off. I've been working out good, but my intensity blows monkey balls. Today...that all changed...

-Basketball-
    30 minutes timed...shoot, if it goes in, grab it job back and shoot again, if it misses, go for layup or quick shot from where I get the ball from until I make it again, then jog back at shoot free throw again.

It was at this time that I thought about my intensity, or lack there of during my workouts. Tuesday nights I'm pushing all I can out with my coach, to the brink of throwing up, shaking, and breathing crazy heavy.

On my way to work I was trying to think of some sort of cycle I could do to really get me going. I decided to do the following...

-HITT 2 minute, we'll call them 2 minute drills-
    1 minute jog, 30 seconds spring, 30 seconds jog (all on 3.5" incline)
    -Good Mornings-
    135lbsx6
    -Romanian Deadlifts-
    115lbsx6
    -Bent Over Barbell Rows-
    115lbsx6
    -Bench Press-
    135x6
    -HITT 2 Minute Drill-
    -----This done 4 times, with 45 seconds rest in between each set-----

After that cycle, I started a second round, like this:
    -Good Mornings-
    135lbsx5,4,3,2,1
    -Romanian Dead Lifts-
    115lbsx5,4,3,2,1
    -Bent Over Rows-
    115lbsx5,4,3,2,1
    -Bench Press-
    135lbsx5,4,3,2,1
    -Bike for 6 minutes at 100 RPM--
    1.2 miles done in 6 minutes
    ----Done as a cycle, GM's, Romanian DL, Bent Over Row, Bench Press for 5 reps, then did it again with 4 reps, then 3,2,1 reps, then bike ride----

I was pouring sweat, shaking, my body felt like it had just been through a grinder. It was an intense, heart pounding work out, felt freaking amazing afterwards man.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I love workouts like those. Congrats man. I just had some brownies and ice cream today, I am feeling guilty lol. By the way, do you ever do shorter interval HIIT sprints? I just find that much past 10-12 seconds and it isn't really a "sprint" anymore and is more of a fast run and from what I understand the higher the intensity the more efficient the metabolic reaction afterward.

Keep up the good work.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I love workouts like those. Congrats man. I just had some brownies and ice cream today, I am feeling guilty lol. By the way, do you ever do shorter interval HIIT sprints? I just find that much past 10-12 seconds and it isn't really a "sprint" anymore and is more of a fast run and from what I understand the higher the intensity the more efficient the metabolic reaction afterward.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks bro. I'm looking forward to some brownies and ice cream on Thursday....mmmm carbs.

I've been reading more in to HITT and have been wanting to try a pyramid type set up, something like:

Jog Run
    30sec 15 sec
    30sec 20 sec
    30 sec 25 sec
    30 sec 30 sec
    30sec 25 sec
    etc, but I've yet to give it a whirl. Treadmill HITT sucks...it's not too bad with the treadmill we have because it has an interval button, just tap it and it switches to whatever run/jog speed you set when you started your work out, it's easier then having to be all out running at 9.0 and trying to hold the dang speed down button...ha.

Checked my blood pressure again today, 125 over 74, still just about perfect for a fat guy.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Haha, so you are carb cyclin' it up? What's your diet setup look like? How often do you load on carbs?

I use the Gymboss Interval Timer and sprint out on a park near my house for HIIT, it's pretty sweet. I've never actually run on a treadmill before, but I could imagine how annoying interval training would be on that! Let me know how that pyramid goes, sounds like it'd be worth testing out.
    Lifting Journal

Meal 1 = Eggs and Bacon/Sausage
    Meal 2 = Lean Beef Steak/Fish and low carb veggies
    Meal 3 = Chicken and low carb veggies
    Meal 4 = Chicken/fish and low carb veggies
    Meal 5 = Lean Ground Beef

Right now I'm 12 days low carb, 2 days carb up. I absolutely love it. I've always enjoyed eating chicken, steak, salmon, and veggies it was just all the other stuff I've cut out like pasta, pizza, sweets (my sweet tooth is horribad, I can eat ice cream all day long). It was harder though to actually eat food. I was practically starving myself trying to lose weight, now I'm eating twice as much, and losing weight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Meal 1 = Eggs and Bacon/Sausage
    Meal 2 = Lean Beef Steak/Fish and low carb veggies
    Meal 3 = Chicken and low carb veggies
    Meal 4 = Chicken/fish and low carb veggies
    Meal 5 = Lean Ground Beef
    Mmm tasty lean protein goodness , you're making me hungry!!!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Heck yeah, love me some meat! I'm also big on green beans, spinach and broccoli so this diet is pretty awesome to me.

Today I woke up tired, couldn't wake up at all so I figured just lounge around until work time, which was good. I played about 25 minutes of basketball out back, just leisurely shooting around, nothing too crazy.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Today I woke up tired, couldn't wake up at all so I figured just lounge around until work time, which was good. I played about 25 minutes of basketball out back, just leisurely shooting around, nothing too crazy.
    I love to play basketball in the mornings, especially, in sunny mornings.

Damn well good job with that. I don't know if I could ever do low carb cycling, I'm too much of a pussy haha. Your diet does sound tasty though. Keep up the good work!
    Lifting Journal

On my lunch here at work I did some dead lift work, nothing too crazy just lifting some weight...

DEADLIFT
    225x10
    365x6
    385x3 I guess this would be a PR for reps, I've lifted 405x1, but never 385 for 3, eh ok.
    I thought about trying to pull 405 but ha, didn't wanna chance it.
    315x4
    225x10

OHP
    135x5
    (I usually just do some OHP's after dead lifts cuz I gotta re rack the bar anyway, figured I was already there, knock em out.)

Zottman Curls
    40lbsx12

Cable Chest Pulls V/Bar
    97.5x20

Dumbell Press
    70x10 each arm

I hate that I go to the gym, not going to do much, and then I just start doing things, whatever I feel like doing I'll do. I wanted to dead lift some, that was it since it's technically my "off" day, ****...yeah right. I feel like crap if I don't do something...if I don't workout, if I don't lift something my body feels sluggish. I don't know. I'm gonna be doing quite a bit of cardio over my weekend (Tues, Wednesday, Thurs) so we'll see. Get a new yorkie later today, will post pics of my bastard yorkie along with the little princess we'll be getting.

Weight this morning after breakfast...333.4LBS.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May