Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

Banned
    nice lifting buddy. i hate my off days. i wish i didnt need rest. lunch at 2-3am huh? do you always work night shifts?

Ha, yeah lunch around 0000-0300 usually, always work night shift. My seniority isn't high enough to get a good shift on days, plus I like deep nights, it's quiet most of the time, but busy enough to keep me entertained, haha. Hopefully I can move from the police department to the fire department and have 24 hours on, 48 hours off again.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    Good workout for a 'day off'. Yeah sometimes its good just to do 'whatever' as long as you train hard. Strong deads, I'm looking forward to getting back up to 385x1 soon. Nice OHP too!
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

I haven't tried anything heavier for OHP...I really want to get that up. 135 is just a little measley to me, I may pick a day and see what I can max at for 1 rep.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Today at metroflex was great.

-Squat-
    Barx5 Warm Up
    225x6
    265x5x3
    155x6 Pause at bottom

-Dead Lift-
    225x5
    365x2
    235x3x7 minute rest in between sets

-One Legged Deadlift-
    3x6 each leg
    We did opposite arm this time, was interesting. Held 35lb dumbbell in right hand, stood on left foot, touched dumbbell to floor just outside of my left foot, opposite for other sets.

-ATLAS STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
    Forward---I have been wanting to do atlas stones since forever, Phil Phister, watching him do them just set the fire under my ass, man...I was psyched to get to do them today babe!
    116lbx5x5-I'm guessing it was a 14" slater stone. We started the first set to just get form and check things out, trainer said form was great for someone that's never done it before, I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot, ha. My first set was done in around 50 seconds...that's one stone per 10 seconds. I pulled the stone in to my lap, thrusted it up on the platform, took it down in to my lap, then back to the platform. Here's the good part, after getting a feel after my first set, I started busting balls. My last set was done in 24 seconds. I'm definitely wanting to do more atlas stones, that is totally awesome.
    -Kettlebell Swings-
    45lbx15x4

On my walk to the parking lot, I tossed my cookies. Wasn't like all out spewing, just a little but damn that was one hell of an intense work out. It's awesome when guys are standing around checking out what you're doing and then say "Awesome job" and "Nice Workout big boy" as you're leaving. I feel like I'm making some bad ass progress here. Only flaw...do not...DO NOT weigh yourself after chugging a gallon of water during a workout...holy crap, I actually looked it up, a gallon weighs freaking 8.35lbs...oh brother. I felt like crap when I weighed, then felt great when I found out the weight, haha. Jeez. Sometimes I get so crazy about weighing too much, I need to have my wife hide the damn scale. Jeez.

I wanted to thank all the guys who've stopped by here and said what's up and all. You guys are awesome. I enjoy reading your journals and think it's awesome when you guys stop by here. Great encouragement and inspiration. Thanks a lot guys.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    extra water weight is meaningless. if i dont weigh myself at a specific time in the morning, mine is completely off. i bloat as much as 7lbs up during the day due to water. when i was in the 230s, it was as much as 10lbs with food/water

solid workout, keep it up

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Lol @ the water weight. Stuff like that has definitely happened to me. Awesome stone stuff man. I'd love to try that some time. Seems hard as hell! Keep up the good work.

-edit: I watched some atlas stone videos. Logically it doesn't make sense to me why that is safe to do as the technique requires a rather curved back upon lifting the stone. How can that be safe? Anyway, good luck with that.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 03-31-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I've seen quite a few videos, and noticed that too. As I was doing them, my back never curved quite like a lot of guys. They pick up the stone dead weight bent over, I pick it up from the squat position with my arms around it, then sat it in my lap, stretch my arms around it and explode all the way through the top on to the platform. I was watching Derek Poundstone do like 555 lb stone, and his back was really curved at the bottom of the lift, but again he looked as if he was bent over picking up the weight and not squatting it, then setting it, then exploding through. I'm not going to critique him, he's freaking amazing, but that's just my view point about his technique. I feel more pull in my back dead lifting 405 than I do lifting an atlas stone, granted the stone I'm lifting is only about 120lbs or so.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

This AM at metroflex:

Bench (Paused) -145x8x4
    Felt really good today. Didn't have any issues with weights. The last 2 reps had to be forced out but was really good and smooth all the way.

Bench Wide Grip- 130x6x2
    Smooth, no issues here, good stuff.

Bench Close Grip-130x6x2
    Again, no issues. Smooth fluid movements all the way through.

Dumbbell Fly
    20lbsx15x4
    These feel good usually, after bench pressing it's pretty crazy. The weights are low, but yeah.

Three Way Delt Raise-20x6x3
    Felt good.

Hammer Curls
    30x8x3
    Good

Planks
    38secondsx3

That was the end of the written work out, but the more I looked at the Atlas Stones, the more I wanted to do them. So here we go...
    Small Stone (116lb I think) 116lbx4x5 Loving these right here. I wanted more, and got it.

Squat-again, like the atlas stone, I love squatting.
    225x5-felt like it exploded out of the hold every rep. Felt great.
    330x1-PR Previous PR for squat was like 305 since I started working out again, that was a few weeks ago.
    Been working on going down faster with the heavier weights, then exploding out of the hole, really felt good.

I kept eying the Atlas Stone that was one size larger than the one I've been using, I think it's around 170lbs per size.
    Larger Stone x 4 reps-I had a hard time getting started, I'm thinking form, but after I got that sucker in my lap, busted out 4 reps from lap in squat position to platform. Felt awesome!!!

That's it for today. Today is refeeding. Feeling stronger, and lighter all around. Steady pace both ways.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    nice nice. solid workout

may i ask: whats your routine? it seems random.

I've varied from what my trainer writes down each week, generally it's this...

Tuesday Night: Heavy Squats, Dead lift, accessory work.
    Wednesday Night: Cardio in any form I want, active rest.
    Thursday-Bench day, accessory work after bench.
    Friday-Cardio: Jump Rope tabata
    Saturday-Squat work sets, accessory work
    Sunday-Cardio, active rest
    Monday-Rest

I have a horrible habit of doing more then what's given. I always do my workouts that are emailed to me each week, but I do more. This week was refeed, so I have crazy energy Thursday and just didn't want to stop. It seems like I always get in to a groove and don't want to stop working while I'm in the gym. There's little rest in between sets, i have to force myself to walk to the water fountain just to rest between sets. I'm trying to get that issue taken care of though. Basically, I get emails from my trainer each week, and do that work, but I want more. I want to do more while I'm at the gym because I feel like I'm not doing enough. I want more. I want to lift more weight, I want to sweat more, hurt more, feel it more on my ride home.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

woah!!!!!!!! great squats!! just curious, but why did you do them at the end of your workout? I couldn't even imagine attempting a PR by 25 lbs for squats as the last part of my workout.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    woah!!!!!!!! great squats!! just curious, but why did you do them at the end of your workout? I couldn't even imagine attempting a PR by 25 lbs for squats as the last part of my workout.
    Thanks buddy. I wasn't even going to attempt to squat today, it was just my bench day and that was supposed to be it. But the more I started working, the better I felt. I had my refeed that day, and the night before so I was feeling great. I started by just doing Atlas Stones, then one thing just led to another and I started squatting. 225 felt extra light on my back so I wanted to throw another plate on to see how it felt off the rack. Felt good, so I stepped out, repped it, no problem.

I know you should always squat before your bench, but when I went into the gym I didn't even plan on doing anything else but my bench work.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

-Todays work out-
    20 minutes basketball
    Jump Rope-30 seconds on/30 seconds off, 5x
    10 minutes basketball free throws, shoot, run to ball, run back to free throw line and shoot again. I made 48 baskets
    Jump Rops-30 seconds on/30 seconds off, 5x
    -Done-

I woke up today hungry as hell. I don't feel bad at all, was just hungry. Back to cycling the good ol carbs now, 12 days, yippee!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Worked out on my lunch tonight at 0300, I found another complex to try out, wore me the hell out. I have set lifting days, then cardio/whatever days set. Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday are set days that I get workouts for from the trainer, along with 2 cardio sessions. We discussed what to do on days I don't have anything set and he said complexes are great, just keep the weights low. So here's todays work.

I did this complex 4 times. I had originally planned on just three but I pushed myself really hard to get a 4th set.

ALL DONE WITH 95LBS (2 25's and the bar)
    Dead Lift x 6
    Romanian DL x 6
    Barbell Rows x 6
    Power Cleans x 6
    Front Squat x 6
    Push Press x 6
    Back Squat x 6
    Good Mornings x 6

Rest in between sets = 2 minutes.
    By the time I was done, that was it. I didn't/couldn't do anything else. Tomorrow is heavy squat day, yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    ouch, complexes before squats. you are tougher than me. good work!

Wow! You did that crazy complex before your heavy squat day? Nutz!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Dang man there's a lot going on here! Haha, well GL and HF with those stones man. They sound awesome. And complexes damn! I hate doing more than like 5 reps in a set haha.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    ouch, complexes before squats. you are tougher than me. good work!
    Eh, light weight with high reps, feels really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wow! You did that crazy complex before your heavy squat day? Nutz!
    Felt good man. I felt like crap after the complex but once I settled down, was golden. Got some good sleep last night, felt great when I woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Dang man there's a lot going on here! Haha, well GL and HF with those stones man. They sound awesome. And complexes damn! I hate doing more than like 5 reps in a set haha.
    Stones are a heck of a lot of fun man. If you ever get the chance to try them out, take it. I really love doing them. It's not even a work out it seems because I'm having so much fun with them.

-Tonights Work Out-
    SQUAT!
    215x5x5
    225x3
    285x1
    315x1
    205x10
    N: All squats felt good. My work sets at 215x5x5 felt extremely light. 315x1 with pause at the bottom, went down fast came up smooth.

ONE LEG DL
    30X8X3
    N: Sort of rushed these, hams were burnin.

LEG CURLS
    80x6x2

LAT PULL DOWN
    110x10x4

NARROW GRIP LAT PULL DOWNS
    90x10x3

SKULL CRUSHERS
    60x8x2

Entire work out felt great. Energized, great mood all around tonight. What used to be hard is becoming more easy. Really really groovin tonight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Keep it up Mark. Looks like you are kickin ass in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Keep it up Mark. Looks like you are kickin ass in the gym.
    Appreciate it buddy.

I've come to the conclusion that it may be time for a break. I've got to force myself to not do anything in the first week of May due to a cruise, and I don't wanna be stowed away in the weight room, or cardio room probably, I can't imagine an abundance of weights on a cruise ship, but oh well. I'm still going to push hard until then, but I had been thinking about hitting the gym a few times while out at the sea. There's a constant soreness SOMEWHERE on my body every day, be it arms, back, thighs, legs...it's always something that's been shocked due to the last workout. I'm going to focus 110% on strict diet, which I've been really good at while carb cycling, and on my big 3 lifts, doing maintenance work on off days still. I'm at the brink of hitting 330 and going below that on this 12 day cycle, that'll be my low for 2010 so far, however I don't suspect that to last too long after May. I won't be over 300 come 2011, then ever again!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Whew! Tonight was good stuff.

--Hammer Strenght Iso Lateral Rows--
    180x8repsx4sets
    I'm not sure how to weigh this...I had 90 on each side but they're independent so I'm guessing maybe it's 90lbsx8x4 each arm?

--Hammer Stength Wide Grip Pulldowns--
    180x8x4
    270x6x2

--Rack Pulls from just below Knee--
    225x3x5
    315x2x3
    405x1x4

A Whole lot of stretching today before and after working out. Felt really good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    nice squats and back work. keep at it

I've never tried Hammer machines, but I hear they are the best if you are not using free weights. How do you like them and how do they feel compared to free weights?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice squats and back work. keep at it
    Thanks bud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I've never tried Hammer machines, but I hear they are the best if you are not using free weights. How do you like them and how do they feel compared to free weights?
    Eh, I really don't know yet. All in all, the HS machines won't be the staple in any workout I do, but they're nice for a change of pace from time to time. The iso lateral row felt pretty good all in all, but again, I like using BB's over them still. I get more of a workout of course from the BB's. I haven't used the machines enough quite yet to tell if I like any part of them over BB's, but I'll still use them every once in a while I suppose.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May