The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

House Lannister
    Workouts are looking great Mark! That Atlas stones+kb swings workout looked like a lot of fun, even if you did . I'm a bit lazy right now, but it sounds like your goal is weight loss/fat reduction. What are your stats now? How's that carb cycling going for you? I may do that during the summer to get a little more ripped up. Debating between that and keto.

I had my refeed last Wednesday and Thursday, before the refeed I was 333, I weighed yesterday I think, or the day before and I was at 332.6, so I'm hoping I'm back in to keto already and the weight will come off pretty quick. Hoping to get below 330 during this cycle, whjch would be my goal for May. I really want to get around 320 before May so I can hit the open seas amd enjoy the food on our cruise. Looking at the schedule, I'll have 2 more refeeds in this month, however I'm thinking about getting my refeed the 14th and 15th, then cycling until the 30th when we leave. God that's going to be hard and suck, but I want it so bad.

Stats:
    Age 25
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 332.6
    Started at 22 I think? Was around 460lbs.
    Last edited by Mark!; 04-06-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Damn dude, I had no idea you've come such a long way. Awesome job. I'm rooting for you. Cruise sounds nice right about now XD
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Damn dude, I had no idea you've come such a long way. Awesome job. I'm rooting for you. Cruise sounds nice right about now XD
    I'm so ready for the cruise. I've never been on one, I've been reading up on everything I can about the ship and looking at pics. Completely excited about it. We're going to Progresso and Cozumel Mexico. Gonna hike around the Mayan Ruins, then at Cozumel we're just gonna relax on the beach. Got about 3 weeks to go until we leave. Ya'll better behave while I'm away too. haha
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

That sounds perfect! I've never really been on a real cruise myself.

Damn, I've been eating candy and cookies and stuff. So much for behaving lol.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    same, tremendous progress! keep at it

First off, great job on the weight loss so far!!! You got this s***!!!!

Second, expect to gain about 10 - 15 lbs. on the cruise. I've done 2 so far...one this year, and one last year. All I did was eat/drink/eat/drink/eat/drink.....then sit on the beach and check out foreign chicks!!! It's lots of fun, but it's definately the polar opposite of being in 'training mode'....f*** it though, enjoy the s*** out of yourself!

Third, nice last few sessions too. You are a beast!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

-Tonight At Metroflex-
    Ronnie Coleman was there finishing up his thing, it's always pretty awesome watching him, gets me pumped for my session, ha. Actually got to talk to him today since he was finishing up as I got there, pretty cool guy, real nice.

Light weight this session, more like a deload week, next week we kick it back up.
    -Squat-
    135x5 Warm up
    265x5x2
    215x6x2 LONG pause at the bottom, around 3-4 second pauses.

-Dead Lift-
    225x3x6 30 second rest in between sets.

-Atlas Stones-
    small stonex6x4
    Medium stonex6x1
    ^^Both of these sets were done from the side, with a twist at the top to hit the obliques and maximize conditioning, interesting concept and work out, but really felt great. Worked on exploding out of the hole as much as possible.
    Large Stonex0x2- Pissed me off. 270lb stone, I wanted it just once but couldn't even get it in my lap. Josh blamed it sort of on being fatigued after squats, dl, and other stone work, but still pissed me off.

-One Legged DL-
    50lbx3x3-Each leg
    Did the alternating DL again, DB in right hand, touch on outside of left foot, then opposite.

-Medium Atlas Stone-
    Just to end of a positive note before ending the workout, I grabbed the medium stone and threw it up on the platform once since I had missed the 270 pounder twice. I think I may try to get it Thursday after benching. If not, we'll get it next week.

I felt really good the entire work out. Moving through things with ease. Weights feeling really light, but reps make it burn. During atlas stones my forearms and fingers went numb from grasping the stone during the sets, but felt great non the less. Had a blast tonight, really awesome time.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    solid lifting man. i want to try some stones at some point.

Thanks man. Sorry to hear you're under the weather bro, hope that gets better real quick. We did some videos today, hopefully he'll have his little composition together and I can post here doing stone work, so much fun.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

All that strongman stuff sounds f***ing awesome!! I've done altas stones a few times in MMA class, and they are definately an interesting workout...very awkward to hold.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Great session with the stones and talking to Ronnie.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    All that strongman stuff sounds f***ing awesome!! I've done altas stones a few times in MMA class, and they are definately an interesting workout...very awkward to hold.
    Very awkward to hold at the bottom, squeezing my forearms to try and get the stone in to my lap really left my forearms scuffed up, but feel great today. Woke up sore though in my arms and lower back. Slept forever, felt pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Great session with the stones and talking to Ronnie.
    Thanks OR, felt really good all during the work. And of course talking to Ronnie was impressive. That guy is a beast.

Morning Weight-329.8 2010 Low so far, looking for 326 by next Wednesday, then 320 by the end of the next cycle to reach my goal before cruise. Going to really push in to over drive these next few weeks. I'll be doing some 2 a day workouts, weights in the evening, cardio in the early morning. Gotta reach my goals. I'm a man on a mission, no stopping now.
    Last edited by Mark!; 04-07-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Morning Weight-329.8 2010 Low so far, looking for 326 by next Wednesday, then 320 by the end of the next cycle to reach my goal before cruise. Going to really push in to over drive these next few weeks. I'll be doing some 2 a day workouts, weights in the evening, cardio in the early morning. Gotta reach my goals. I'm a man on a mission, no stopping now.
    You'll reach those goals at this pace for sure man. Keep smashing weights right up until the cruise.

You have some of the most varied and overall epic workouts ever haha. Squats, DLs, Stones, motherfreaking one-legged DL's, and more Stones! That is the shiz. Keep up all the work, you're inspiring
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-08-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Lifting Journal

House Lannister
    I had my refeed last Wednesday and Thursday, before the refeed I was 333, I weighed yesterday I think, or the day before and I was at 332.6, so I'm hoping I'm back in to keto already and the weight will come off pretty quick. Hoping to get below 330 during this cycle, whjch would be my goal for May. I really want to get around 320 before May so I can hit the open seas amd enjoy the food on our cruise. Looking at the schedule, I'll have 2 more refeeds in this month, however I'm thinking about getting my refeed the 14th and 15th, then cycling until the 30th when we leave. God that's going to be hard and suck, but I want it so bad.

Stats:
    Age 25
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 332.6
    Started at 22 I think? Was around 460lbs.
    Nice man that's a lot of progress! What's your final goal weight? Also, you'll love that cruise. I went on one with my family when I was much younger and it's still ranked pretty high up on my list of favorite vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Nice man that's a lot of progress! What's your final goal weight? Also, you'll love that cruise. I went on one with my family when I was much younger and it's still ranked pretty high up on my list of favorite vacations.
    Thanks brother, I know I'm going to really enjoy the cruise. I can't wait. I've got to remain cautious of what I eat and how much of it I eat. I'm definitely going to enjoy some food, I heard the warm melting chocolate cake is divine, there's also pizza and ice cream as well. I'm going to treat it as a refeed. After next weeks refeed, I'm going to carb down until the cruise.

My goal weight is about 260, then I want to get freakishly strong.
    Current Weight: 332 Goal Weight: 260, then build.
    Current Bench: 275 Goal Bench: 400 (I don't know about 1RM here, I haven't maxed out, ever)
    Current DL: 405 Goal DL: 500
    Current Squat: 330 Goal Squat: 500

Tonight, went out in to the garage with my wife, and did some complexes.
    Romanian Dead Lift
    Bent Over Rows
    Unilateral Curls + OHP
    Zottman Curls
    Squats
    Dumbbell Swings

Weights, reps and sets as follows:
    35lbs each arm x 10 reps x 2 sets
    30lbs each arm x 8 reps x 1 set
    25lbs each arm x 6 reps x 1 set *Extreme intensity and speed, strict form, done in 1:14*
    15lbs each arm x 15 reps x 1 set *Final drop set*

10 minutes shooting free throws +running to get rebounds so they didn't hit neighbors garage door resulting in getting the cops called on us, haha, really works on reflexes and speed.

-DONE-

Diet was good. Tried to make some zero carb ice cream, well...it turned out tasting ok...just ok not any better. Oh well.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

crazy complex. nice job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Diet was good. Tried to make some zero carb ice cream, well...it turned out tasting ok...just ok not any better. Oh well.
    Well, tasting OK is better than tasting bad.

You are working hard and it's all going to pay off. I like your attitude of not wanting to sit around doing nothing for a day.

BIG IRON FREAK
    On my lunch break I went back in to the gym. I felt like doing something, so, here's a quickie.

Warm Up, Stretching

DL-10x135, 8x225, 4x315, 0x405 I missed 405 AGAIN!!!! I got it up higher, but still can't lock it in. It's starting to frustrate me. 315 feels so much lighter. Here's to working up instead of skipping plates!
    Squat-6x225, 3x315, after incline press, I wanted one more, so I got back in the rack and pushed out another @ 315. Felt even better for the 4th rep.
    Incline Press-115x20 regular grip, 115x5 close grip (REST) 115x12 reg grip, 115x5 close grip (regular grip and close grips done in succession, then a rest, then again)

That was all I wanted to do. Felt good to get in there again today and move around some.
    youre warming up to the weight wrong. id do this

135x10
    185x5
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1

Tonights workout was amazing! Really intense, felt amazingly pumped the entire time. Zoned out, didn't let anything bother or distract me, heck yeah.

Bench Day
    -BP W/PAUSE AT BOTTOM-
    155x6x4 Felt great. I've noticed that where I used to stall on the bench, I've learned to push through. If I get stuck, I can move the weight more towards my head while pushing up, or towards the rack, and it goes. Feels great hitting all my reps now. I know the weight is low, but this is the foundation.
    -WIDE GRIP BP TOUCH AND GO-
    135x6x2
    -CLOSE GRIP BP T&G-
    135x6x2 These always feel quicker and easier. Probably a focused center of gravity on the bar?
    -DUMBBELL FLY-
    25x8x4
    -3-WAY DELT RAISE-
    20x8x3
    -HAMMER CURLS-
    35x6x3
    -BARBELL ROLL OUT-
    5x3 Ow

-DEADLIFT "MANLEY" STYLE-
    135x10
    185x5
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1 Felt amazingly light
    365x1 Felt light...not amazingly...but light.
    405x1 HELL YEAH BABY!!!! I pulled it, got it to my thighs easily, rest of the way was smooth, locked that bad boy out. Even after the entire work out, I hit 405x1. I was psyched to get this rep. I wanted another one but decided to just be happy with the 1, and do 2 drop sets.
    225x5x1
    135x10x1 This right here...this felt so amazing light. My first rep after exploding off the floor felt like it came up to my chest. After 225 I quickly slid a plate off each side then hit this.
    Mick Manley, thanks for the advice bro. I really really appreciate it!

15 Minutes Dreadmill for cool down. 7.0 incline 3.2 speed

-DONE-
    Last edited by Mark!; 04-09-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Hey, congrats on those deads. Getting heavy for sure.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

So I took measurements this morning, some I was happy with, others depress me, haha, but I realize I'm still a work in progress. I'm making progress every day, week, month, etc. I really wish I would have measured myself back when I was over 400. I do know, however that my waist has come down quite a bit from the 58 inch it used to be.
    Chest:49
    Waist:52
    Hips:48
    Biceps:18
    Forearm:14.75
    Thigh:30.5
    Calf:21.5
    Neck:17

I'm trying to avoid weighing until at least Monday, so I can hopefully see more then a few ounces lost. I need at least 327 before Thursday, that's a MUST, not optional for my goals. We'll see. Hard work pays off, and I'm definitely not afraid of hard work when it comes to busting mine in the gym. I'm going to add at least 15 minutes of cardio after my workouts every day until Cruise Day. Wish me luck.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    nice dude 405 dead is nothing to sneeze at. when youre finally ready to eat more instead of less, that number is going to explode

PWO cardio has helped burn fat for me a great deal... and dont worry about the measurements you dont like. like you said, its a work in progress... stay consistent and all will fall into place. youve come too far already from your starting point to accomplish anything but everything. whens the cruise?

We leave May 1st around 4:30. We're planning on leaving the Dallas area at about 1 or 2 in the morning, driving to Galveston and hanging out around there until it's time to board. Planned on a hotel but I figured I'd just drive through the early morning and save $100, it's something we could use while we were in Galveston that morning for a museum or something.

AM Weight......328...Another weight PR.
    I feel tight today in my upper body. My legs always feel great it seems. Will be doing a lot of stretching and probably some complexes and cardio stuff today. Looking forward to hitting the gym in about an hour.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May