Page 9 of 111 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Well Hell...

I haven't seen anybody use 6 x 6 in years. Everybody wants to do 5 x 5 or 10 x 10 these days. Stuart McRoberts recommends the 6 x 6 for volume, nice to see somebody using that set/rep scheme. How'd you like it?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm absolutely loving it right now. My bench was horrible, it's still horrible, but less horrible than before I guess. I feel like I'm actually making some progress with this routine. Granted I have never really done a routine for arms or anything, probably why they're so weak. I can't wait until I'm using 200lbs for my work sets.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Nice workout back there. With the wide bench and flys you were working pretty heavy on the chest, was that just some supplemental work in addition to your chest training or was this an all ecompassing day?
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-17-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

It was all a part of the training for the day. My bench day is always middle finger on ring, wide grip, then close grip followed by dumbbell work. By the end of my dumbbell work I'm usually pretty taxed.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice volume on the arm work. keep hitting it bro
    No joke, session is looking nice Mark.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Looking solid as usual. By the way, what do your refeed days typically consist of? I'm gonna need to do some sort of refeed at some point as I have begun carb cycling (about 50g on non-lifting days and 100 on lifting days). I don't feel too shabby though, perhaps I'm not low enough? Eh, I'll keep with it, but what I'm wondering is when I do refeed, is it like eat cake and ice cream and whatever I want? Or more like whole wheat/complex carbs?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-18-2010 at 01:03 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

The way it was explained to me, and the way it's been working for me is on my 48 hours of refeed, I eat anything and everything I want. However, it was said that when I get to a lower weight, I'll have to be more cautious with refeeds to keep it cleaner, but right now it hasn't mattered much. I still try to keep it a little clean, I have a horrible ice cream tooth, I love ice cream, Weight Watchers has some latte bars that only have about 20g carbs per bar so I stock up on those during my refeed. At your low weight, I'd ask someone that has more experience in cycling at lower weights, as it's probably going to be a lot more cleaner than what I do.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thai Boxing Bodybuilder The Gasman UK's Avatar
    ooh yeah 6x6 nice. Might have to try that sometime.
    The Gasmans' journey to the single digits - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131623

Banned
    yar. honestly, any kind of linear progression whether 5x5, 6x6 or whatever is going to do the job. plenty of paths

I was reading about the true 6x6 program Palmieri talking about doing 6 reps with a pause, then holding the bar, squeezing as much as possible at lock out, taking 3 huge breaths, then doing another 6 reps, hold at lock out, squeeze and breathe, etc for 6 sets. Talks about how taxing it is and how much it pushes you mentally physically and is a good cardio work out. I may play with that tomorrow, sounds interesting to say the least. Squats today, will be back after the work out. Looking for an hour and a half in the gym today at least with workout + PWO Cardio. We shall see. Gonna go tear it up!
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Garage Lifter
    Great job with everything Mark. Just read through your journal and you've made great progress.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

-Sunday Night-
    To start out, my thighs and knees felt like absolute crap. I spent about 20 minutes doing stretches and warm ups and still felt tight. I got on the treadmill for a few minutes, light job, did some jumping around, anything to loosen up. Loaded 135 hit it twice, felt 110% better. So...off we go!

-SQUAT-
    barx5
    135x5
    235x5x5-Work set. All reps felt good, reps 1 thru 3 were easy, 4 and 5 of the last 2 sets slowed just a bit, but not too awfult much.
    275x2
    315x1
    340x1 +10lb PR. Well, maybe. I used my belt...does it still count for a PR if I'm wearing a belt?
    225x5

-1 LEGGED DEAD LIFT-
    40x5 Each Leg First set I rushed, 2nd and 3rd set I slowed down, focused on the stretch and really got a good burn.

-LEG CURLS-
    70x10x2 Slow, nice a smooth, weight all the way down before starting another rep. Felt so good.

-LAT PULL DOWNS-
    180x8x4 with hammer strength. Had 120 written down in my email from trainer, but the bands here at work only go to like 110, did 2pps on hammer strength and upped the reps by 2 each set.

-NARROW GRIP REVERSE PULLDOWNS-
    100x10x3

-ZOTTMAN CURLS-
    30x8x2
    Jumped right from dumbbell rack to treadmill
    PWO CARDIO- 10 minutes treadmill 3.0 speed 6.0 incline. Heart rate around 130 starting, 125 or so throughout.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Lookin' good man. Squats are FTW! Congrats on that PR. I kinda think that still counts wearing a belt. I mean you still pushed the weight up haha.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Workouts are looking good Mark. Squatting with a belt counts. I'll be getting one in the summer and I'll probably do all my PRs in squats and deadlifts with it.

New squatting PR is huge Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Lookin' good man. Squats are FTW! Congrats on that PR. I kinda think that still counts wearing a belt. I mean you still pushed the weight up haha.
    HAHA, True, the weight did go up. My wife was watching, next time I'll have her record it for depth/form consultation. She said I went below parallel so I was happy about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Workouts are looking good Mark. Squatting with a belt counts. I'll be getting one in the summer and I'll probably do all my PRs in squats and deadlifts with it.
    This was the first time putting it on since I bought it. I don't necessarily think I'll be using it all that much right now, but when weights get heavier I wanted to have it just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    New squatting PR is huge Mark.
    Thanks Coke! Can't wait to get it even bigger.

I think I could have pushed 350 up but my legs were already taxed and I still had 1 legged DL and leg curls to go plus PWO cardio, didn't push it too far tonight.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I asked my sister to watch my squat depth on my 255 1RM, but like you I still want to have the recording to see for myself. I think, at least for me, the good thing about maxing out on Squats (or any lift really) is that when you go back down to do some rep work the next week it doesn't seem all that scary anymore. Still taxing, but not like HOLY **** IM DYING. That's sort of how I felt when I was Squatting 205 for reps a couple weeks earlier, but now I will just realize that I CAN squat it and just get through it.

So 12 more days 'til the cruise eh? I wanna go too lol.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I asked my sister to watch my squat depth on my 255 1RM, but like you I still want to have the recording to see for myself. I think, at least for me, the good thing about maxing out on Squats (or any lift really) is that when you go back down to do some rep work the next week it doesn't seem all that scary anymore. Still taxing, but not like HOLY **** IM DYING. That's sort of how I felt when I was Squatting 205 for reps a couple weeks earlier, but now I will just realize that I CAN squat it and just get through it.

So 12 more days 'til the cruise eh? I wanna go too lol.
    I know what you mean. Before when I was squatting 225 for work sets, or heck even before I knew what work sets were, I was squat 185 a few times and be like Oh my God I'm going to die! Now I'm doing 235 for work sets, 275 twice, 315 and 340. It feels great. I did 225 after 340, it felt light, but my body was done with squats, haha. CRIKEY!!! It is only 12 days! 6.5 more working days!!! That's what I'm counting at least, lol. I plan on going to the gym Thursday before we leave and absolutely wrecking the place, a nice long workout, then leave for the coast Friday night. I may post some pics up of the gym that day, and me afterwards drenched in sweat.

I wanted to originally get to 330 before the cruise, but I'll probably gain 10 pounds, so I want to be at 320 before the cruise, I'm all but given up on that. 8 pounds in 10 days? No way Jose. MAYBE 4...at most. We'll see. I'm just gonna do my thing and see how it goes. 2 a days in the gym, I HAVE to get some running and conditioning in this week, might go to the park and push the car around. Who knows.

WORKOUT 2-COMPLEX and other miscellaneous dandies!
    ---Barbell Complex---
    *Done with 95 lbs, 6,5,4,3,2,1 reps*
    DEADLIFT
    ROWS
    CLEANS -Hate, one rep actually flew out of my hand, I ended up catching it mid air and continuing with reps.
    PUSH PRESS

---RACK LOCKOUTS---
    225x2
    185x5x5

---6x6 Pause---
    I tried jacking around with the 6x6 bench press where you do 6 reps, hold the bar at lock out, breathe 3 huge breaths, then do another 6 reps...but I failed miserably.
    135x6x2.5--haha man I couldn't do anymore than this. I was done as far as benching goes.

---CABLE CRUNCHES---
    82.5x25x4

---Crunches---

---PWO CARDIO---
    BIKE for 12 Minutes

And that'll be all.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Banned
    belt definitely counts, grats on the PR. nice complexes, taxing stuff. 6x6 in the manner you described doesnt really seem plausible with any kind of real weight. thats 36 reps without any kind of reracking. progress with that doesnt seem likely :P

Wow! Nice squat Mark. Belt definitely counts. Great job.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    belt definitely counts, grats on the PR. nice complexes, taxing stuff. 6x6 in the manner you described doesnt really seem plausible with any kind of real weight. thats 36 reps without any kind of reracking. progress with that doesnt seem likely :P
    HAHA, the pdf I got said use a taxing weight...so yeah, it blows. Maybe I'll do it with just the bar for starters tonight after deadlifting. We shall see. Thanks for the support, and for stopping by.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wow! Nice squat Mark. Belt definitely counts. Great job.
    Thanks man, I don't want to squat PR's every week but I'm thinking 340 felt good, maybe try 345 or 350. I think I'll wait a bit though, I don't want to push anything. Thanks for stopping by.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Awesome job on the PR!!! Yes, it counts if you use a belt.

Damn it's been a long time since I've done more then 315 lbs. on a squat....I'm slowly workin my way back up to that weight, but it's a tedious process.

You still do Judo? I hear you mention it a lot in my journal, but I never see you write about it in here.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Awesome job on the PR!!! Yes, it counts if you use a belt.

Damn it's been a long time since I've done more then 315 lbs. on a squat....I'm slowly workin my way back up to that weight, but it's a tedious process.

You still do Judo? I hear you mention it a lot in my journal, but I never see you write about it in here.
    I haven't played Judo in a good while. My sensei moved back to Mexico and I haven't found another place yet, really haven't been looking too hard, ha. I stopped at 1st Class Ikkyu. Never tested for my Shodan, I got lazy when it came to promotions.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

You're busting your ass in here. Well done bro.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Haha epic barbell flying out of your hand during Cleans. Nice training session man. Hey by the way, I want to recommend to my brother-in-law what kind of training program to follow for fat loss. I know you do a ****load of work, and I somehow doubt he'll be as awesome as you are, but can you give me a simplified version of what you do each week? Do you always do complexes before you do the (heavy) lifts? Then follow up with cardio? I'm sure it's different on different days, just tryin' to get a feel for this kind of thing XD

The one thing I think I can explain to him is carb cycling and eating the proper diet (e.g. eat less, lol) to lose weight, but as far as how to implement complexes and such into the routine I'm not sure what the best approach is.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Lifting Journal