I'll try to sum it up, but if you want the entire article this post is based on, let me know and I can pm it to you.

The article stems from the non-locality principle of quantum physics, i.e. communication between two objects occurring faster than the speed of light, as well as our observations of holograms. In an attempt to explain why one atom would be able to know information about another 10 billion miles away instantaneously, physicist David Bohm suggested that the universe is a hologram.

Essentially, holograms have a unique feature that other things do not share. If I cut a rose in half, I will be left with two pieces, let's say the stem and the petals; however, suppose I have a hologram of a rose. When I cut this hologram in half, both halves contain the entire rose (all of the information from the original). If we cut these pieces in half again, and again, ad infinitum, each smaller piece will always contain a full picture of the rose (all the information from the original).

To illustrate how these two things relate to the universe being a hologram, Bohm suggests imagining an aquarium with a fish in it, and two cameras pointed at the aquarium, one from the front and one from the side. Now suppose the only information we have about the aquarium are from two television screens attached to each camera. From our perspective, you might think there are two separate fish we are watching; however, soon you begin to notice that when one fish turns, the other turns, seemingly exactly in unison. When one turns to face frontwards, the other turns to face sideways. We might think the two are communicating instantaneously, but obviously this is not true.

This idea was further confirmed in another field of research, neuroscience. In the 1920's, experiments by Karl Lashley showed that no matter what part of a rat's brain he removed, he could not eradicate memory from the rat's brain of how to perform complex tasks. Decades later, Karl Pribram considered holography to explain this phenomenon. Instead of memories being stored in specific locations in the brain, the information is contained holographically, so that even when the brain is divided, the parts retain all of the information from the whole. Of course, the implications this would have on our understanding of "objective reality," would be profound.

Interesting stuff.